near Vatican to stay?

Aug 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster
near Vatican to stay?

Thanks to the responses, I am working towards an apt in Rome. We will be there for a week or so, traveling with grandmother and 3 children (10-15)...fairly seasoned travelers. It is their first time to Rome. We are interested in walking distances from sights, close to public transportation, etc. Is there a more recommended area to stay than near the Vatican? Thank you!
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I am assuming you will only spend a few days touring the sights within Vatican City. If so, a better area would the area across the river from the Vatican and west of Via del Corso.

Staying in this area will allow an easy walk to both the Vatican as well as the other main tourist sights in Rome.
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM
No, Vatican is not a good area to stay, unless your sole focus is the Vatican.

I much prefer the area around Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo dei Fiori. The pedestrian only streets are much more walking friendly, with many shops, sidewalk cafes, etc.

Bus connections, either the 116 mini-bus that runs through the historic district, or one of the main bus lines that run up and down Corso Vittorio Emmanuel will take you just about anywhere in Rome for 1Euro ea. Taxis are plentiful and even more convenient, and don't cost that much more for a group (most only carry 4 people tho).
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Hi steffie, I assume from your comment "Thanks to the responses.." that you started a thread about an apt. in Rome. It is best to continue your posts on your original thread. If you cannot find it just click on your name (look at the upper left of your screen and you will see your name to the right of the Welcome)..than your threads and post will show up on the left of your screen.

Also, since you are going to Rome although you have had some responses here on the US Board if I were you I would repost on the Europe Board.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful time in fabulous Rome!

Search this Thread