NC Outer Banks opinions would be appreciated.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Dan

NC Outer Banks opinions would be appreciated.

My wife and I have taken a few mountain vacations in a row and now it's time to go back to the water. I hate to say it, but I know very little about the south. I've heard many good things about the outer banks. We enjoy just puttering around beaches and wildlife. Also prefer older, but not cushy, victorian inns. Simple is fine. This destination just popped into my head today, so I haven't checked the archives yet. A few minutes ago I signed up for some literature so the process has begun. Therefore, those of you who love the outerbanks, do you go from top to bottom,and would you reccomend it? Or are specific area more appealing? Perhaps there is another coastal (NC to GA) destination you'd reccomend. Will probably be going in May. Thank you

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:52 AM
George

We went for the first time last Sept. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Some pix are at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall .

One observation: They are long. We were there for a week, and ranged from up above Corolla to Ocracoke. Each area has something a bit different, but there's no short-cut from, say, Corolla to Ocracoke.

In May, the beaches may still be brisk. In September and October they're gorgeous. Not sure where you'll fine your kind of accommodation, but I know there are other much more knowledgeable will have some hints.

And don't miss the Wright Brothers Memorial. Next year is the big one--the 100th anniversary!

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:46 AM
RB

Given your preferences for Victorian inns, etc., perhaps you'd like to travel just a bit further south and check out Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach, FL. My favorite place to stay there is the Elizabeth Pointe Lodge, www.elizabethpointelodge.com. If you want to stay in NC, how about Beaufort, NC? We've not stayed in any of the inns there, but there are several selections. Look at bbonline.com. While I have not stayed at the Sanderling Inn in Duck, it probably would be my pick for atmosphere, etc.; www.thesanderling.com.
Hope this is helpful in your search.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 03:03 PM
Kathy

I've been to the Outer Banks many times, and I don't think you're going to find Victorian Inns there. In fact there are very few hotels, it's mostly beach houses. I'm not familiar with other parts of the Carolinas or Georgia and don't know of another coastal town that has Victorian Inns.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 08:08 PM
Pam

I just asked about Greyfield Inn on this site. While not on the outer banks( it's oof the coast of Georgia) it might be something close to what you are looking for. It is located on Cumberland Island.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Cindy

Dan, I've been to the Outer Banks many times, but usually in a big family group. We rent a house in Duck, right on the ocean. If you like birding, the birds are good down there almost all the time. However, the best bird spot (Pea Island, Oregon Inlet) is a bit of a haul from Duck. I still always go down there a couple times per visit though.

Years ago we used to see turtles laying eggs on the beach in May. They are probably gone now, too much development. I'm sure the nesting Ospreys are still all over the place. Outer Banks used to be a lot better before it was "discovered." It lost some of its charm for me once Wal Mart moved in. Now large parts of it look pretty much just like my home town (nasty). But, you still can't beat it for beach front accomodations. And the ocean is, of course, great (and really cold in May). You might really like the Sanderling Inn. It is wonderful.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Cindy

Dan, I've been to the Outer Banks many times, but usually in a big family group. We rent a house in Duck, right on the ocean. If you like birding, the birds are good down there almost all the time. However, the best bird spot (Pea Island and Oregon Inlet) is a bit of a haul from Duck. I still always go down there a couple times per visit though.

Years ago we used to see turtles laying eggs on the beach in May. They are probably gone now; too much development. I'm sure the nesting Ospreys are still all over the place. Dolphins are usually easy to see swimming close to shore. Saw my first humpback whale through a spotting scope while looking at birds. It was right in front of our house (although quite a ways out).

Outer Banks used to be a lot better before it was "discovered." It lost some of its charm for me once Wal Mart moved in. Now large parts of it look pretty much just like my home town (nasty). But, you still can't beat it for beach front accomodations. And the ocean is, of course, great (and really cold in May). You might really like the Sanderling Inn. It is wonderful.