Closest offsite car rental near Denver airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking for a the last couple months at car rentals at the Denver airport--they are between $500-$600 for the week, arriving July 23rd. I remember I had trouble renting a car the last time we visited. There are over $200 in airport fees and taxes there.

I found an Enterprise on Tower Rd at the Marriott but if you have arrived at the airport in the previous 24 hours, they require that you pay airport taxes.

I've also found an Avis on Quebec at the Doubletree-the car would be $333 but I guess this location is about 25 minutes away. We are heading to Estes Park and Winter Park.

Anyone have any tips for finding a better rate on the rental car?
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM

We've had good luck using Priceline for car rentals.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with the Priceline suggestion, or try Hotwire.

All of the car rental agencies are in a centralized location at the Denver airport and the airport itself is out in the middle of nowhere. As far as I know, there IS nothing closer.

One option would be to get a cab to a hotel or intown location and pick up a car there. You can play around with the major rental agencies websites to see costs when picking up at various locations. It may be a pricey cab ride, but has to be less than the $200+ you would be saving.
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Or even better, take the RTD bus to the Market Street Station downtown and use one of the rental agencies near the 16th St. Mall (I'm pretty sure there's an Enterprise down there, maybe an Avis too). It's only $10 cash one-way, the bus stop is right outside baggage claim and they have a convenient schedule. Look at www.rtd-denver.com and click on RTD System Info -> skyRide.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried Priceline but my offers have been rejected so far.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 03:42 AM

People have reported in the past about renting offsite--like in Lakewood, and if I recall correctly they could drop the car off at the airport with no penalty.
Tekwriter may have the best answer, but I'd reserve ahead of time at one of those sites in town. They usually don't charge your credit card ahead, if you are dealing with the car rental agency.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 03:48 AM

I just looked at Travelocity and there is at least a little less than what you are quoting.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Did you try Hotwire rather than Priceline? I like them better for car rentals. Though I agree, Denver is expensive and even on Hotwire I don't find what I'd normally consider bargains. If you want to pick up downtown using the bus, Hotwire will let you return to the airport for no extra charge, in my experience.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Rates on Hotwire are still high. I will still try bidding on Priceline but my bids of $30/day (about $350 for the 8days) have been rejected 7/23-7/31

I did use the Budget code listed above but have a car rented at the Quebec St. location for $301.80--no extra charge for spouse to be added as an additional driver. I can return it to the airport. It is a $50 cab ride. I know there are shuttles to several hotels on Quebec St. but don't know if that is a possible option.

I haven't given up on Priceline but have this rented just in case I can't get a car at the airport.

Thanks for the help. I had the same problem last time we flew into Denver.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM

RTD has a skyRide bus line to Stapleton, which is close to Quebec - might be walkable, but would definitely be a much less expensive cabride. Both the AB and the AS lines go there. Check out the websit I recommended above for more details.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM

I just rented a car at the Denver Airport and drove to Colorado Springs. I went through breezenet.com and the rates were unbelievable. We paid a total of $141 for a week including taxes and fees. We only needed the car for 5 days but weekly rental worked out cheaper. We didn't take out extra insurance. We opted to go with a car through Dollar and we had booked a mid-size. When we got there, they upgraded us to a Kia Advantage SUV which is nice and roomy. I also waited until just a couple of days before we left as I find I get a better rate when I leave it until last minute. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM

I too just rented on Quebec St (Avis) and am returning and DEN--it's easy for me, though, because I'm being picked up at the airport by a friend who I'm staying with, before my husband flies in and we start our vacation, and Quebec is only a mile from her house. But it would have been worth cabbing there, because I'm paying only $239 for a 9 day rental. I just kept checking and checking Hotwire and finally they had a great rate through Avis, and since they show you the agency when you do one way rentals, I just went to Avis to book it directly, and Avis was even cheaper.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM

We rented a car at DEN in early June. Also saw high rates. We needed a specific size car so couldnt go through Priceline. Found a great deal on Denver.com website. Rented through Budget for nine days for only $249 total! What a great deal. We asked for a Ford Explorer for all of us and luggage space and ended up with a brand new Yukon, which was great! We were very happy! And lucky!
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

I have tried all the above suggestions and never got a reasonably priced rental at the airport until today. I had rented a car on Quebec St.

Budget sent me an email today and is offering a standard car at the airport for our 8 day visit for $319 including tax. It is a Hot Deal BCDU030154 They also are accepting my Entertainment Book coupon. I hope this helps some other traveller who needs a car at the Denver airport.

I kept bidding on Priceline but my $30/day bid kept getting rejected--bid last night again. This rate comes to less than $30/day. Maybe I will try bidding less in a couple days. We arrive in Denver on Friday morning.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are still seats available in coach on the California Zephyr for Denver to Frazier (WIP) on July 24. The fare is $43/pp. The train leaves Denver at 8:05AM or shortly after.
Get off in Winter Park a little after 10AM and rent a car.
As long as you return the car on time and have a valid drivers license they don't care when you were in the Denver airport.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM

Once again we are duped by bringing up an OLD thread. I guess the info is good for searching in the future.
Tom, for future reference, are you saying you can return the car to the airport, not WinterPark.
Of course for the train, you have to spend more money to get INTO Denver, I assume, so it really isn't $43. And of course there is the overnight hotel room to get out the next morning. I think this is not "economical", is it? ;o)
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 02:38 PM

haha... funny this old thread is something I've been wondering about myself now anyway. It sure caught my eye. Thought about asking the exact same question, but we decided we need to stick with renting from the airport to save time.

I have 2 reservations with Thrifty for 17(!) days. A full size car for $395 and a minivan for $585. Both good deals and we'll probably stick with the minivan for the space, but that $395/full-size is sooo tempting. Glad I was persistent in looking. Now rates are over $3,000!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM

I have rented often at Denver, and it absolutely depends on SO many things--it is when the Stock Show is in town, ski season,etc. If you start early enough, there are usually good enough rates from the airport, even with their surcharges. But if people are willing to put up with going miles away, then that is always a possibility also.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM

I know this is an old thread but I'm going throw this out there anyway. I always try to point out that going downtown is usually much cheaper than renting at the airport. For a few days, not a big deal but the longer your rental, the more it's worth it to go downtown.

I'm going in August - renting from Budget for 9 days. At their downtown location, my total is 396.52 for an economy car. The current price at the airport for the same car, same timeframe is 807.01. A week ago it was just under 700 I believe. That's a huge savings and all I need to do is ride the Skyride bus for $11, takes about 45 minutes to the downtown bus center and then it's a 4.5 block walk to Budget on Broadway.

I know alot of people say it's too much work to carry all your bags and it's just too much hassle. I would agree for a short trip, but I've never understood how taking an extra 45 minutes to get a car and carrying your bags 4.5 blocks is too much work to save hundred of dollars. To each their own I guess.
Old Jul 16th, 2012, 09:51 AM

I'd agree with that math, but would ask, where do you return? If you are going to the mountains,the Quebec Ave. locations or one in Lakewood would be better. BUT returning it is the proof of the pudding to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -