Reload this Page >

Navigating the NYC Subway First Time...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Nancy

Pls help just give me some basics. Never done this before. I know it will be the least expensive and we want to experience it.
For instance if we want to go to SoHo how do we know what to do? or Greenwich Village?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:00 AM
AC

Hi Nancy:
log onto www.mta.nyc.ny.us. It has all the info you need. Be sure to buy a Metrocard as soon as you get here. They are also available on line. You don't say where you are staying so I can not give specific directions....Welcome to NYC have a great time!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:11 AM
thereuare

These are the basics that i use:

4-5-6 Trains go up/down the East side
A-C Trains go up/down the West side
1-2-3-9 Trains go from bottom right of the island towards the top left

Best bet is to print the map listed from the post above, then go to a copy machine and copy/shrink it a few times so that it'll fit in your wallet/purse.

Also, contrary to the perceptions, NYers are generally friendly and happy to give a helping hand to anyone that asks.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Nancy

we are staying at the Milford Plaza Hotel.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:00 AM
ny

I'm sorry.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Nancy

Sorry for what?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 08:01 AM
tommy

Nancy,
To get from your hotel to Greenwich Village, walk to 42nd and 7th and take the downtown #1 or #9 (they are on the same track) to the Christopher St. stop. This will leave you in the heart of the West Village.

To get to Soho from your hotel, walk to 42nd and 8th and take the downtown E train to the Spring St. stop.

One bit of advice to you - when you are entering a station, check the sign on the stairs down to make sure that you can go in the direction you want from that entrance. While the larger station entrances, like 42 St., allow you to get to both the uptown and downtown platforms, the smaller stations, like Christopher St, give you access to only one platform. You have to cross the street to get to the entrance to the platform for the other direction. I have often seen people pay their fare in such stations, only to find out they can't get to the platform they need to be on.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 08:06 AM
rqf

Pick up a map of the subway system. Ask at the token booth in a subway station. If they don't have one available walk to the Visitor's Center on Broadway between 46th and 47th Streets. Your hotel is between 44th and 45th on 8th Avenue, one block west of Broadway.
The subway map does show where Soho, the Village and other places are located. Provide a list of those things you must see and specific instructions can be provided. The subway/bus system will get you anywhere you want to go. When using public transportation if not sure - ASK SOMEONE - you will get answers.