Natural Beauty of Oahu? Is there any?

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:27 AM
Rachel

Natural Beauty of Oahu? Is there any?

We are planning to spend five days on Oahu (one however we will travel to the BI for a day trip)...so four days on Oahu. We were only planning 3 days, 4 nights but the 5th night came free and since not much on Hawaii comes free...we added an extra day to the itinerary.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone has any recommendations for other beautiful sights on Oahu that are worth driving to besides the obvious (Pearl Harbor) tourist attractions. Any great, beatiful day trips away from the hub-bub or are we doomed on Oahu for a fourth day, free or not?

Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:37 AM
LuvHawaii

How sad that you feel "doomed" to a day on Oahu -- you must be very jaded. Have you see the Pali? The North Shore? Climbed Diamondhead? Snorkeled Hanauma Bay? Felt the silent power of all those graves in the Punchbowl?

BTW, I would never relegate Pearl Harbor and the Arizona to the prosaic status of "tourist attraction" -- they mean too much to me.

IMHO.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:55 AM
NotAttractions

I agree with the previous poster.

"Tourist attraction" conjures images of South of the Border or the Corn Palace or an alligator show in the Everglades or some other banal roadside attraction -- but never Pearl Harbor or the sacred Arizona. Not for me anyway.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:58 AM
dave

Don't let the Oahu bashers influence your outlook. While it has its faults in the "tourist trap" area, it has so many other qualities that are taken for granted. Its like bashing the President, everyone does it because it seems like the thing to do. You can't expect perfection from everything. Anyway, I think you will find many ways to fill your oh-so-short stay in Oahu. Besides Pearl Harbor, I think Hanauma Bay is a unique experience. It is crowded at times, but like Yogi said," nobody goes there anymore, its too crowded". Some excellent drives to beaches on the North shore can blow an entire day. A tremendous variety of shows and nightlife. Diamond head, and simply being in Hawaii and strolling around taking in the smells, sights and sounds of the beaches is fabulous. Maybe it doesn't have the serenity of Kauai, or be quite as relaxed as Maui, but Oahu is a darned fun place to visit.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:34 AM
Aquila

When I visited Oahu I was surprised at how beautiful it was. I've been to Hawai'i 3 times and every time I've spent at least a few days there.

For beautiful beaches, drive over to Lanikai beach or Kailua beach. Both of them show up a lot on those "Best Beaches" lists. Check out the Pali Overlook on your way and be sure to bring a camera. There may be busloads of tourists, but the spectacular view is worth it!

While you're over on that side, you might want to check out the Byodo-in Temple. It's a replica of a 900 year old Buddist temple in Japan. It's nestled up against the cliffs of the Koolau mountains. Beautiful and peaceful.

Up on the north shore, we enjoyed the wonderful view of the coast from the Puu O Mahuka Heiau. It's definitely worth seeking out!

Enjoy your trip to Oahu!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:20 AM
lcuy

Also: Tantalus lookout above Makiki in the evening or the trail during the day.
Aiea heiau trail- a short but very scenic hike. Look for the crashed WWII plane about 1/2 thru.
Go to Bellows beach- the military allows civilians in on weekends. There are pine trees right next to the blue water.
Not natural, buy you can visit Iolani Palace..the only real royal palace in America. make advance reservations.
Hike out to the Makapuu lighthouse, then swim at Makapuu beach to cool off.
Circle the island. go out to the North shore via Mililani, then come back over the Pali lookout. Stop often along the way. Despite the fact that we are a real true city, we are on a beautiful island. So many people think you can't have both!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Postal

Oahu remains my favorite Hawaiian island and I've been to all of them several times. The people who talk bad about Oahu on this board simply haven't seen all the beauty it has to offer. Yes, Waikiki is an urban tourist trap (with beautiful beaches), but drive around the rest of the island and you'll what I mean.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:20 PM
L

Waimea Falls Park was a naturally beautiful place to visit. I went 12 years ago and it is still a beautiful memory for me. I have now been to Maui and Big Island also but loved the vacation I took on Oahu. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it was my honeymoon!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:41 PM
jolie

I went to Kauai first and then Oahu. I was disappointed how much it was just a great big city. To go to Pearl Harbor be there early. It is first come first serve. Also, drive away from the city. It is beautiful away from the city. Also, go parasailing, go diving, have a dinner cruise. Love it.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Linda

Spend a day (it'll take a whole day!) just driving the windward shore. More georgous beaches and scenery than you could believe. Wear your swimsuits and flip-flops, and stop at any and all beaches/scenic pull-ins that look good to you. The scenery gets more lush and georgous the farther toward the "tip" toward the North Shore you go. Buy a plate lunch from a fast-food place (L&L Drive In, oh my!) or "lunch truck" and stop at the next likely beach park for picnic (on weekdays, they're all nearly deserted). Take your camera. I guarantee you'll have a wonderful day, and come away appreciating Oahu's beauty, away from the "Honolulu/Wakiki big-city scene" that a lot of posters on this board seem to only see.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Rachel

Thank you all for the wonderful tips! I am so excited for our five days on Oahu... I must admit I was there 12 years ago with my parents and all I knew of it was the city/touristy areas (we were on a tour and were limited to what we could see). That plus all the cynics on these boards really scared me. Now, however, I am really looking forward to exploring the rest of the island and perhaps even finding something about Oahu that not many others are privy to.

Mahalo!!!!

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Rachel

PS.
For those who I seem to have offended....I have been to Pearl Harbor previously and am returning again to see it if that tells you how much it means to me AND my father is a decorated WWII veteran who fought in both Okinawa and the battle at Normandy so nodisrepect was meant....
I was merely referring to crowded vs. non-crowded areas of interest.

Thanks again!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:27 PM
ellen farre

Oahu is incredibly beautiful. I very much enjoyed Waikiki with all the activities on the beach and the variety in restaurants. The north shore and the leeward shore are fabulous with spectacular beaches. Didn't have enough time to explore fully(I spent 5 days) and very much look forward to returning. Next time I'd like to spend 4 or 5 days in the waikiki area( I did't even get to half of the museums) and spend the next 5 days on the north shore.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:37 PM
sss

Windward side, hike Makapu light house, check out byodo temple in a stunning setting against the koolaus, another is Sacred falls wonderful. I would not risk a rock fall here though, eight hikers killed here a few years ago. I would find out if there are trails that would take you to safer area where you can view and not be threatened by falling rocks.

Heau North Shore lends panoramic views of pacific. Alii birthing grounds through the pineapple fields on the way to north shore are striking also.

Hike Manoa falls,just get a hiking guide there are too many to list. There are natural rock slides going up tantalist again a hiking guide would show you this. I would go on line and you can find many sites with photos of trails. Pali lookout just to name a few.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:39 PM
sss

when I say natural rock slide I mean slides made of rock you slide on.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:52 AM
ttt

ttt