Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > National World War I Museum in Kansas City -- wonderful!
Notices

National World War I Museum in Kansas City -- wonderful!

Mar 17th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

National World War I Museum in Kansas City -- wonderful!

We spent the weekend in Kansas City. The highlight of the weekend was our visit to the World War I Museum. It's located close to downtown, not far from Union Station and Crown Center.

The museum is very well-organized. You start by watching a short movie that introduces you to the factors leading up to the war. Then the first half of the museum deals with the first three years of the war -- the years before the United States took part. Then you see another short video; this one is about the United States' decision to enter the war. The second half of the museum then encompasses the last year of the war, with emphasis on how it affected the United States and the difference that the US soldiers made to the overall war.

There is an extensive and detailed timeline of the war, lots of pictures and videos, and plenty of exhibits such as guns, uniforms, a tank, etc. Also, there was a rather cool trench exhibit to give you an idea of what life in the trenches must have been like.

All in all, great museum. We spent three hours and did not see everything. We plan to go back sometime. There were a LOT of people there, which was a pleasant surprise.
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Yes, it really is awsome...when I was there a couple of years ago, I just kept thinking to myself that I couldn't believe it was in Kansas City...it's world-class (and I live here!) Thanks for the positive comments!
Mar 18th, 2010, 12:56 PM

I second that! Although I live in Florida, most of my corporate workgroup is in Kansas. We all took a "field trip" to this wonderful museum for a team get-together a couple of years ago. I keep telling DH that he has to come with me on one of my trips to KC so that we can go to this museum.

Search this Thread