Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   National Parks (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/national-parks-292611/)

daisypoop Feb 26th, 2003 04:38 AM

National Parks

Family of 4 with 2 teenagers from Boston planning a weeklong trip to Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce and the North Rim of Grand Canyon in August. We would like to spend 4 nights, in total, at the 3 parks. The morning of the fifth day we plan to drive back to Las Vegas. Are there any suggestions on the most efficient trip to put together for the 3 parks? The family wants to see the natural west but not overdue the driving too much. If this is too much to take in we could eliminate a park if it looks like too much.<BR>One idea I had was to use the Zion area as a hub for the 4 nights. Then from there travel to Bryce and the North Rim of the Canyon in day trips from the Zion area.<BR>Thank you for all assistance.<BR>

Patrick Feb 26th, 2003 06:43 AM

I would go to Zion for two nights giving you a full day to explore there. Upon checking out I'd go to the North Rim, spend a few hours there, perhaps have lunch, then drive up to Bryce and spend two nights there. Do a horse (mule) trip for a half day in Bryce. Then drive back to LV from Bryce. I think this would be a great trip, and better than just going to Bryce as a day trip from Zion. And it would be a shame to miss sunset and/or sunrise at Bryce.

utahtea Feb 26th, 2003 09:54 AM

I like Patricks plan. Over all it will save you an hour of being in the car and it gives you more time at two of the best parks. I would double back thought Zion.<BR><BR>Utahtea<BR><BR>

SueH Feb 26th, 2003 10:57 AM

We did it in 4 nights as follows:<BR><BR>Day 1 LV to Bryce, overnight stay there. This was the longest drive but you get to Bryce in good time to see the late afternoon light/sunlight. Also the dawn next day if you are up!<BR><BR>Day 2 - morning and early afternoon in Bryce, time to do some trails. Then drive to Kanab, stay 2 nights. There's not a lot at Kanab but it's a good overnight base.<BR><BR>Day 3 - 2 hour drive from Kanab to North Rim, most of day there, back to Kanab. Doing it this way you can spend much of the day at the North Rim without feeling rushed.<BR><BR>Day 4 - short drive from Kanab to Zion, most of day in Zion, stay overnight at Zion.<BR><BR>Day 5 - drive from Zion back to LV via Hoover Dam.

Syv Feb 26th, 2003 12:30 PM

All of above replies sound okay. I would agree w/ Patrick &amp; Utahtea.<BR><BR>Also confirm to book the half day horse/mule ride down Bryce canyon. The teens will enjoy it.<BR><BR>All of these are not far apart in the big picture of things. Won't be too bad of a &quot;driving trip&quot;.<BR><BR>You've picked a GREAT area! Prepare to be amazed at the spectacular scenery. Take lots of camera film :-)<BR><BR>

daisypoop Feb 27th, 2003 04:15 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. They really helped. We will use them and plan the trip accordingly.