Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

National Museum of the American Indian (NEW YORK)

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone tell me about this museum? I am debating a visit, but can't seem to find out much about it online (except for their recent exhibits).

Is the permanent collection sizable?

I have been to the National Museum in Washington DC, and I thought that was worthwhile, and very interesting. I'm trying to decide if the NY branch is worth a visit, too.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM

I am sorry to say, that it is not a compelling collection.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM

We popped in while we were in NYC for a few weeks last year. It's in the old U.S. Customs House, which is an interesting National Historic Landmark.

From our visit I remember a small but very high quality collection of antique objects and several exhibits of contemporary American Indian art.

As I recall, admission was free. We were glad we included it on our walking tour of Wall Street and the Battery.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/18/ar...l/18SKATE.html
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:32 PM

If you are already downtown and want to drop in, then this is worth an hour or so of your time. It's not as outstanding as, for example, the museum of jewish heritage, which is nearby. But if you are planning to visit the Wall Street area anyway, why not.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM

They are advertising a new exhibit about native Americans and the horse. If you are in the neighborhood - do drop in but don't make it your only reason for being in the neighborhood. The Museum of the Jewish Heritage is outstanding. You also might like the Museum of American Finance.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM

I wasn't all that impressed with the holdings at the National Museum of the American Indian, though the building housing it is really nice. Fortunately, it's an easy and fairly quick pop-in while seeing other far-downtown attractions, as its holdings are not large.

Will second a visit to the Museum of Jewish Heritage, which is excellent and rather good sized. A wander around nearby Battery Park and Wall Street is also quick and enjoyable. Also consider a round-trip ride on the Staten Island Ferry, as well as quick pop-ins at Trinity Church and the Federal Hall National Memorial.

Don't bother with the nearby Skyscraper Museum, though, which has a small and spotty collection that's poorly labeled and confusingly put together. And I'd also put the South Street Seaport and Museum very low on you priority list for this area -- the permanent collection is not especially compelling, and you won't be allowed to visit the nearby ships if there's the least bit of precipitation.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:26 PM

The architect of the US Customs House where the collection resides is Cass Gilbert, who also designed the Woolworth Building and the US Supreme Court.

Outside is an allegory by Daniel Chester French who also did the seated Lincoln at his Memorial in DC. The allegory is of the four continents. They took liberties in Beaux-Art. Another example of Beaux-Arts in NYC is Grand Central Station and the liberty there is in the main waiting room. On the ceiling, the stars are out during the day.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies.

You made me think of combining this with something my kids have been wanting to do: visit the Statue of Liberty.

I'm thinking we could drive to NJ, and then take the ferry over to Battery Park and explore over there a while.

mclaurie - thanks so much for the article on the skate exhibit. My younger son is an avid skateboarder, so he'd like that. That exhibit was in DC while we were there, but we didn't have the time to visit (and my son wasn't with us on that trip).