Nashville: Restaurants around Vanderbilt

Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Nashville: Restaurants around Vanderbilt

We need ideas for good restaurants around Vanderbilt. We are a 40-ish couple with no kids. Not interested in bar be que or heavy fried stuff, just good food. Thanks!
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:42 AM

The Sunset Grill was very good. Not sure if it is still open. Highly recommended.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:28 PM

Even though it's a colegiate type place (after all it's near a college)....the San Antonio Taco Company (satco to locals) has never disappointed me

The Noshville Deli is good and a one-of-a-kind place in Nashville as it is a New York sytle deli

Even though you say no bbq, the SOuth Street SMoke Shack has a very small amount of bbq and quite a bit of other good stuff.

Almost all the restaurants in the Hillsboro Villiage area on 21st ave are good.

Amerigos is touch and go, but a pretty good place for Italian
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM

Boundary is great -- great wine list and food. Sunset Grill is great (and still open) -- it also has a great wine list and great food.

There is a place across the street from sunset grill that is great, but I can't think of the name right now. Have breakfst at Pancake Pantry, you won't be disappointed. There is a brewery on West End whose name I can't remember; also not a bad place to eat.

There's also a ton of chains around there -- Ruth Chris, PF Changs, Cooker (which I love) and Houstons (also a favorite).

Satco is also a treat, but may be loud. Great place for chips, queso and beer.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:43 PM
MightyIsis

Near campus you have many choices.

On the West End side there is
Houston's
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (in Vanderbilt Plaza Hotel)
Zola
And apparently the restaurant in the Marriott hotel (don't know the name) is supposed to be very good

On the 21st Ave South side and toward Broadway you have:
Goten (Japanese)
Boundry
South Street
Nick and Rudy's steakhouse
The Wild Boar (known for really good dishes with wild game)

Further up 21st in Hillsboro Village area would be:
Sunset Grill
Easy's in the Village
Bosco's (which is also a brewpub)
Provence bakery, sandwiches, soups and gourmet cheeses
Jackson's

and last but not least, everyone will tell you to go to Pancake Pantry in the Village for breakfast, and while their pancakes are good (not great, good) I find the service to be snippy and the long lines around the block to be a hassle. I prefer breakfast a block up at Fido, a real coffeehouse with espressos, lattes, etc and good hot breakfast egg dishes as well as more snacky breakfast stuff like muffins and such.

Jan 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Noshville (which someone else mentioned) serves a very good breakfast. Granite Falls (on 21st) is has a good variety (great crab dip). I second the person who mentioned Bosco's.
Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:59 PM

There have been some greatsuggestions, but I thought I'd add a few more to the list to contemplate...

Sunset Grill and Bound'ry are two of my favorites. I've eaten at both numerous times and have never been disappointed. Also, Restaurant Zola is supposed to be great although I've never been there myself...it always gets rave reviews from the food and wine magazines and I've been meaning to try it out the next time I get back to Nashville.

Others I would mention for dinner are:

Mario's - great Italian, but on the expensive side
F Scott's - great food, live jazz music (a little further away from VU than you might want though)
Valentino's - Italian, between VU and downtown

For lunch:

Rotiers - best burgers in town
Calypso - Caribbean food
Sitar - if you like Indian food, they have a good, cheap buffet
Provence - really nice bread/soup/sandwiches in Hillsboro Village (across from Fido)

If you're interested in going outside the VU area, I could recommend many more, but if not, stick to some of these and the chain restaurants you like best...there's plenty to choose from in that area.

Hope you have a great trip!
Mar 24th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Sunset Grill is usually very good. Zola's is very good. Basante (sp?) is good Italian food, and Flemings offers excellent steak. I would personally skip Wild Boar as I think it is highly overrated and a tourist trap. These are all in the Vandy area. If you want to venture out while sightseeing, there are more choices. One of my favs is Saffire in Franklin. Have a nice visit and let us know if you need suggestions for music or shopping.
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:14 AM
DDA

Jimmy Kelly's is a good steakhouse near campus. I also like Sunset Grill, but it can be very loud, and hard to talk. Ask for a quiet spot. Granite Falls has a nice brunch menu.
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:38 AM

In addition to all the excellent suggestions above for the types of restaurants you find in most big cities, Nashville also has a meal deal known as "meat & three". It is an entree (not only "meat") accompanied by three side dishes. It is delicious & cheap. We had ours at Sylvan Park.