Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Nashville on a Sunday ? - suggestions needed
Notices

Nashville on a Sunday ? - suggestions needed

Mar 30th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Nashville on a Sunday ? - suggestions needed

Traveling through Nashville on a Sunday and looking for suggestions to explore the city by myself. Would love to experience some music and food. Any suggestions for getting a short taste of the city would be appreciated! Thanks!
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:16 AM

virtualtourist.com for excellent local postings. SongWriters
Row area most authentic head there explore juke joints around there are many great "put some south in yo mouth" BBQ places my favs music is great authentic unlike nearby more touristy like "opryland" not my cup of tea but if yours go for it.

Happy Trails!
Mar 31st, 2012, 05:46 AM

We liked the Country Music Museum and Hall of Fame, touring the Ryman Auditorium, the Tennessee State Museum, Bicentennical State Park.

Breakfast at the Pancake Pantry was excellent.
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM

I guess qwovadis is referring to Music Row. There's basically nothing to see there - it's a bunch of offices related to the music business. The biggest bang-for-your-buck area would be downtown - I'd second abram's recommendations of the Ryman and the CMHOF. I'm not into commercial country music, but I loved both of them for the history. That would be a pretty full day in terms of sightseeing. For music, you can go to the honky-tonks and hear someone play, or if you'd rather go to an actual show, check who's playing at the Ryman (my favorite venue, ever), the Bluebird (great for singer/songerwriters), or smaller venues around town - Mercy Lounge, Cannery Ballroom, Exit/In, 3rd & Lindsley are all ones I go to a lot. Most of the shows around town are more rock/pop/Americana, not country.

As far as food, what sort are you looking for? Fine dining, cheap spots...? Check out nashvilleoriginals.com to get you started - it's a group of restaurants of all price ranges around town. If you stick downtown, City House and Germantown Cafe are nearby and get good reviews. Demos' is a Nashville institution - not creative food or anything, but inexpensive and good. Monell's is often recommended for family-style Southern food (also near downtown), but I'm not sure what its hours are on Sundays.

Search this Thread