Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nashville music (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nashville-music-748645/)

kimmos Nov 14th, 2007 03:30 PM

Nashville music

Am going to be in Nashville next Friday night. I see that to go and just listen to country music in a saloon needs to be pre-booked? I looked at Wild Horse and they are booked out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I have bought tickets for Loretta Lynn at the Ryman for Sat only because I wanna see the Ryman.

stumpworks73 Nov 14th, 2007 05:05 PM

See if the Bluebird Cafe has availability. Never been to a bad evening at the BB. They have on line advance tickets as well.

Opryland Hotel will be madness on Thnx Wknd. Typically their saloon has an enjoyable act, but you probably can't even get on the property.

jent103 Nov 14th, 2007 07:05 PM

The Wild Horse is more of a venue than most of the honky tonks. If you want to pop in at Tootsie's or Robert's or the Stage, no reservations required, although most people are there more for the dancing and beverages. But I second stumpworks - I've lived here for two years and have wanted to go to the Bluebird since I moved here. One of these days I'll make it! If you're really into the music more than the atmosphere, the Bluebird will be a much better use of your time.

kimmos Nov 14th, 2007 08:17 PM

thanks for the quick response....BB has a spiritual night on Friday, will certainly check the rest when we get there to try our luck with getting in. Pardon the ignorance, what is the difference between Opry at the Ryman and the Grand Ole Opry on Opryland Drive?

stumpworks73 Nov 15th, 2007 04:14 AM

The Ryman location is the historic site of the Grand Ole Opry. When Opryland Park and the Gaylord Hotel were developed,a new theatre was built connected to the hotel and park. The current televised Saturday night show comes from the Opryland location.

lisettemac Nov 15th, 2007 05:17 AM

Agree with Jent -- go downtown and wait on line (that's how they say it in NY!) at Tootsie's. Or, head to the Bluebird Cafe. Enjoy!

jent103 Nov 15th, 2007 05:35 AM

Actually, during the winter the Opry is broadcast from the Ryman (if you check the calendar at opry.com, all the shows in the forseeable future are at the Ryman). I'm not sure how long the Ryman season lasts or why they do it (unless attendance is lower in the winter?), but there you go. The show this weekend looks good!

kimmos Nov 15th, 2007 06:33 AM

thank you so much for your replies......looking forward to my trip!!

marleneawe Nov 15th, 2007 06:41 AM

Tootsie"s is a neat place. Last time we were there we did not have book ahead. But it was full, and we were lucky to get in, but no place to sit, had to stand. Had afew drinks, listen to some music and moved on. But well worth the stop.

Brian_in_Charlotte Nov 15th, 2007 06:46 AM

Be ready for the smoke. Nashville is one of the smokiest cities I've ever been to.