Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nashville luxury weekend trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nashville-luxury-weekend-trip-647205/)

sanibella Sep 17th, 2006 07:11 PM

Nashville luxury weekend trip

Husband and I taking a quick weekend trip to Nashville in November. Willing to pay top dollar for a nice hotel. We know nothing about the city except that everyone speaks highly of it and says there is plenty to do.

We will get tickets to the Lion King and also to the TransSiberian Orchestra, both of which are in town while we will be there.

Anything else you would recommend? Places to eat? Sites to see? We are not really big into country music or hiking/exercise-oriented activity, but we generally enjoy everything else, especially if it is hip and cool and fun.

Any recommendations for a spa and/or a sports bar would be great too. My husband wants to watch a specific football game in a fun sports bar while we are there, and I will be opting out for some time for myself!

egret Sep 18th, 2006 02:39 AM

The Opryland Hotel would be a good choice. They've recently opened a nice spa.

sanibella Sep 18th, 2006 04:53 AM

ttt

SharonG Sep 18th, 2006 05:20 AM

Make sure you go to Tayst, which is a great restaurant on 21st Ave, near the Vanderbilt area. I also recommend Midtown Cafe which is close to Baptist Hospital and Cabana which is in the Hillsoboro Village/Vanderbilt area. You'll need a car though if you plan on staying at Opryland which is highly overrated in my opinion. I like the Hermitage or Union Station.

tanuki Sep 18th, 2006 06:00 AM

Since you have tickets for shows at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center, I would recommend the Hermitage Hotel, which is only about a block away. This will also place you within walking distance to the downtown entertainment area and plenty of restaurants and music venues.
http://www.thehermitagehotel.com/site/hotel.aspx

sanibella Sep 18th, 2006 10:54 AM

After looking at these suggestions, I think the Hermitage is definitely for us! They do have availability the nights we are staying so I will bok this hotel today. GREAT recommendation, thank you!

Any other ideas for food, sports bar, spa services, great shopping, etc??

lisettemac Sep 18th, 2006 11:02 AM

Hermitage or Union Square would be my suggestion, too.

SharonG Sep 18th, 2006 11:02 AM

Green Hills Mall, which won't be too far if you have a car, is very nice. They have Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, Macy's, Coldwater Creek, Sephora and a host of other really nice shops. Plus David-Kidd is a very nice bookshop. Right across the Parking Lot is Chico's and a personal favorite, Maggie Moos! I go to Apropos which is a skin/nails salon that offers some nice spa services as well and that's across the parking lot too downstairs from a nice restaurant called F. Scott's.

If you have a car (and I'm assuming you will) go up to where West End AVe. splits into Highways 100 and 70. There is a nice Bread and Company for lunch and then all kinds of cool little shops.

SharonG Sep 18th, 2006 11:03 AM

Geez, could I have said "nice" one more time? I guess the answer is YES.

Billee Sep 18th, 2006 11:33 AM

Hermitage Hotel is very lovely and across the street from the Tn. Performing Arts Center. They have a nice restaurant (Capital Grill) with a great bar. My favorite restaurant is Watermark. It's pricey; but worth it. I think it's the best in town and is located in the Gulch area of Downtown. Visit 2nd Ave. one evening for fun. The new Schemerhorn Symphony Center (downtown) is wonderful. I also recommend the Frist Arts Center, which may be nice while Hubby is watching a ball game. For upscale shopping, I recommend Jamie (located in Belle Meade), Graces (Green Hills) and the Green Hills Mall. Levy's is also in Green Hills and has nice men's clothing. Have fun!

sanibella Sep 18th, 2006 11:48 AM

These suggestions are perfect, thank you!! I am sure I will have a hard time narrowing everything down by the time we actually get there. Can't wait to look into the book shop and some of these other great shopping areas too. I hope we have time to hit the gentleman's clothing store -- not much selection where we live. Good suggestion.

I guess sports bars are not hard to come by, and hopefully there will be one close to the hotel.

If you all think of anything else, send those ideas my way. Thanks for your help.

Forgot to mention we will have a car so these suggestions work well.

sooz64 Sep 18th, 2006 12:22 PM

Market Street Brewery and Big River Grille are two sports bars within walking distance of the hotel. (5 to 7 blocks) There are probably more!

aliska Sep 18th, 2006 12:29 PM

Don't know if this is open Sunday, but while hubby is doing the football thing, you could tour Belle Meade, an old plantation that has been restored. There is a small gift shop and cafe on premises. Definitely a "chick" thing to do. Way out on the West side, is the Loveless Motel which serves breakfast and dinner family style. A visit to Lynchburg, home of Jack Daniels's distillery, is lots of fun and might be nice if fall colors are still there. Make a reservation for Miss Bobo's Boardinghouse, another family style restaurant, if you go. Forgot to mention, if you go to Belle Meade, be sure to drive around neighborhood, lots of old mansions, think it's also where Al & Tipper Gore live (old money).

sanibella Sep 18th, 2006 05:32 PM

ttt

Booked the Hermitage today, got a deluxe room that promises a view of the capitol. And a free breakfast!

Since we will be there in November are there any Christmas-oriented things we should look for?

Thanks all, for your great advice so far.

droolpatrol Sep 18th, 2006 07:51 PM

OK -- not sure if I'm qualified to tell you what's hip and cool, but check out a Grimey's record store on 8th Ave South. The basement of the store is a cave-like bar called "The Basement" which has great bands most nights.

Katy-K's Ranch Dressing is a unique store in the 12South neighborhood

Sports bars - downtown you have Eddie Georges' in the Hilton Suites; Hooters on 2nd Avenue; Hillsboro Village has Jonathon's.

Spas -- it seems like new ones open each week. There will likely be many in the West End/Hillsboro Belmont or Belle Meade areas, not so many downtown.

Good choice on the Hermitage Hotel. Its the nicest place in town. Opryland is gimmicky and not upscale.

If we have nice weather, Centennial Park across from Vanderbilt is great with its replica of the Parthenon. The Vanderbilt campus isn't bad either. Enjoy.

sanibella Sep 19th, 2006 06:35 AM

Grimey's sounds VERY hip, Drool! We'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestions.

hunterblu Sep 19th, 2006 06:44 AM

People come from all over the place to see the spectacular holiday lights display at the Opryland Hotel. This year it's Nov 16th thru Jan. 7th. Here's a link to the events page:
http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord..._christmas.cfm

LLindaC Sep 19th, 2006 12:48 PM

Because of all the poo-poohing on here about the Opryland Hotel, you just might miss out on one of the most fun experiences ....walking the 5+ miles through this indoor rainforest/Delta Town and otherwise incredible hotel. Yes, it's not cheap staying here, but at Christmastime, it's awesome. (btw, the gym is first rate and the pool is large enough for lap swimmimg) The hotel is a destination in itself. It also has some nice boutiques with unique clothing. They put up a million lights at Christmas- you really have to experience it! I've never been disappointed in my stays there; we have been going since it was built at least yearly and often more times.

CarolA Sep 19th, 2006 01:25 PM

OK. I lived in Nashville. Luxury and the Opryland hotel do NOT fit in the same sentence. Tourist attractiona nd the Opryland Hotel do fit in the same sentence..
The Hermitage Hotel is by far the nicest in Nashville. Go for it. (plus it's clsoe to where you will be doing your evening entertainement)

Illusions Day Spa would be my vote for a Spa.

SharonG Sep 19th, 2006 04:23 PM

CarolA,I live right outside Nashville now and I agree with you. Opryland is tacky and I hate the fact that they charge you to park. You can get around it by parking at the mall and taking a shuttle but it's hardly worth it.

There's another nice restaurant I forgot to mention Tin Angel on West End kind of across from Maggiano's but much nicer.