Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nashville- is it a place for yankees? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nashville-is-it-a-place-for-yankees-159117/)

Bruce Aug 11th, 2001 04:28 AM

Nashville- is it a place for yankees?

We loved visiting Nashville Loved the trees, the people, the rolling hills and attractions. Now my wife has been offered a job there. But we are from the north! Will a yankee feel comfortable in Nashville? Will we be cut out of social circles, or laughed at behind our backs? <BR> <BR>I would like to hear from other yankees who have moved to Nashville or orther Cities in TN/the south and hear their experiences and observations. Thanks.

Philip Aug 11th, 2001 05:34 AM

I was a Yankee that lived in Nashville for 7 years (but I saw the light and moved back). Just try to prepare yourself for the culture shock and the summer heat. I'm not sure what city/town you are from but I'll try and give you my experiences. <BR> <BR>The people in Nashville are very friendly, however many are very simple (i.e. "ignorant"). It was difficult for me to find friendships because I was much more sophisticated than the people that I met. Many of the people that I had met had been no further than Destin, FL (which seemed to be everyone's dream vacation). <BR> <BR>The people drive like maniacs down there. Be always on your guard because they don't understand defensive driving. In addition, there are lots of people who don't feel it necessary to have auto insurance. <BR> <BR>There is a big fight every year when the state announces that it is going to implement a state income tax and the people always vote it down, and then complain about the service they get. The schools down there are not adequate, if you have children be prepared to put them in private schools. <BR> <BR>Nashville is a growing town and has some wonderful restaurants. But the crime rate has started to rise and there has been a noticeable trend of the drug trade coming down from Chicago. Nashville doesn't always make the right decisions. For example, a big portion of their income is in tourism and country music, but they have allowed Branson to cash in on what should have been their's. <BR> <BR>If you don't mind the drive, you might want to live in one of the outer towns such as Smyrna, Murfreesboro, etc. <BR> <BR>Nashville definitely lives up to the cliche "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there".

grace Aug 11th, 2001 06:55 AM

I have a friend who moved to Franklin TN which is outside of Nashville. She moved from New England and loves it there. It is a lovely town and reminds me of small town NE. She fit right in with the locals and serves on several committees in her kids' schools.

Caroline Aug 11th, 2001 12:26 PM

Philip, thanks for your input. I, too, am much more sophisticated than most of the people I meet here in Nashville, and it is frustrating. I want to move back home (to the Northeast) but can't just now. Hopefully someday...

musiccityman Aug 13th, 2001 06:24 AM

<BR>Philip -many people in Nashville are "ignorant"? I am afraid you are the one that makes yourself appear to be ignorant by making such an inaccurate, stereotypical statement. I was in NYC, your current place of residence this past summer - I rode the subway several times so if you want to compare ignorance/lack of sophistication between some of those freaks I saw vs. the residents of Nashville, bring it on. <BR> <BR>It was probably difficult for you to find friendships here because of your ignorant, bigoted "yankee with an attitude" demeanor. I moved here ten years ago and have many friends who are northeners and they absolutely love the quality of life here compared to other cities. Nashville has gotten much national press since the Predators and Titans have come to down - the media reports of today's Nashville have been very favorable. <BR> <BR>You have absolutely no basis for your statement about crime either. Chicago drug trade coming to Nashville - what the hell are you talking about? The crime rate in Nashville has steadily improved over the last few years. NYC probably has more rapes/murders/robberies in a month than Nashville has in a year. <BR> <BR>The Branson issue died years ago - Nashville has left them in the dust. You need to brush up on your tourism stats. <BR> <BR>I am sorry you were disappointed that we did not have an income tax. Once again your ignorance shows through - the state has plenty of money - it just has a lying, incompetent governor who has totally mismanaged the state's finances for the last 7 years. His days are numbered - perhaps he can relocate to New York after he is sent packing in another year - you could be his campaign chairman for a run for Governor up there. The two of you would be a great match. <BR> <BR>As for you Caroline, I will glady pay for you an airline ticket so you can take your pompous yankee ignorance up to join Philip. You must be quite the loser if you are so miserable here but don't have the resources or the marketable skills to be able to move back where you belong.

xxx Aug 13th, 2001 06:55 AM

Hey musiccityman right on !!!!!! <BR> <BR>I'm from New York City and can't believe the a--holes responding on this board claiming to be from NYC. I've visited Nashville and enjoyed the sights, food, entertainment and the people. I might not want to live there, but I also realize many people from Nashville might enjoy a visit to NYC but wouldn't want to live here either. The truly "ignorant" people are those that don't realize there are pluses and minuses associated with every community. The key is to live in the community that offers more pluses than minuses for your particular lifestyle. <BR> <BR>

musiccityman Aug 13th, 2001 07:32 AM

<BR>xxx - thanks for restoring my faith in New Yorkers having class and civility. I truly enjoyed my vist to NYC earlier in the summer and found the people to be very friendly and free of the snobbish superior attitude exhibited by Philip. <BR> <BR>I have no problem if the guy says Nashville is just not his kind of town. Some people like a faster pace of life or a place that offers more things to do-that's fine. Nashville like any city has its faults...but to attack and stereotype the residents and the city with ignorant statements that have no factual basis is classless.

Philip Aug 13th, 2001 09:25 AM

First of all, you can't compare visiting a place, with actually living there. Just because you've visited doesn't mean you have an understanding of how a city works. <BR> <BR>When I was living in Nashville, there were a few incidents of women being sexually harassed in state office buildings. The great leaders of the state of TN decided they would pass a law that forbid sex in public buildings (like that was going to stop anything) then they realized that people living in public housing would be forbidden to have sex. That is a true story and that is what I mean by ignorant. <BR> <BR>Nashville has not been able to handle their growth. Their interstates are a mess, they built I-440 which was obsolete before it was built and you can't get anywhere with their public transportation system. <BR> <BR>Dell Computers, a technology leader, has built a plant in Nashville. The citizens fought hard to try to keep it out, despite the fact that Dell signed a contract guaranteeing that 1700 Nashvillians would have entry level jobs. If they fell below that number, they would have to pay more tax to the city. If you fight a company that creates jobs where they are desperately needed, I think you are ignorant. <BR> <BR>Just recently, Tennessee's credit rating was lowered and the reason was that "60% of Tennessee revenues stem from sales tax". If the U.S. hits a recession, and people stop buying, your state is screwed.

Freud Aug 13th, 2001 09:53 AM

Gotta agree with Mr/Ms WhatACrock on the Caroline and Philip issue. <BR>Very bad form, guys. <BR>To hold yourself in high esteem is fine, but attempts to proclaim to others your superiority is practically proof positive of some type of self image issue. People who are genuinely a cut above the rest in whatever capacity seldom find it necessary to try to ram this down other people's throats. The ones who do are ridiculed for their lack of sensitivity (think George Steinbrenner, the younger Donald Trump, Val Kilmer, etc). <BR>I always remember when Rickey Henderson broke the longstanding baseball record for most steals in a career and proclaimed something like "...this record used to belong to Lou Brock but now I am the greatest basestealer ever". He was universally laughed at for this display of arrogance and lack of respect, and his popularity (never widespread) plummeted steadily from that point on. <BR>Painful to watch when people just don't 'get it'.

musiccityman Aug 13th, 2001 10:08 AM

<BR>Philip - I must say that was a pretty weak response to my statements. You would think someone as sophisticated and far more intelligent as you could do better. The best you can come up is the legislature passed some obscure law that nobody cares about and so that makes the residents of Nashville ignorant? I think every state has its share of incompetent legislators. Hmmm...you must have had a special interest in that particular law because I nor nobody I have asked in my office has ever heard of it. <BR> <BR>As for traffic, I guess the commute for people that drive in to NYC everyday to work is a breeze, huh? You are definitely reaching if you are saying NYC is a better place to live because there are less traffic problems. <BR> <BR>Once again you are wrong with your facts. Thanks for letting me know Dell is a "technology leader" though - I had no idea! Poor ignorant me! A small minority of people who lived near the proposed Dell site opposed it because it was going to encroach on their neighborhood. They were concerned about additional traffic and their property values. Another minority group opposed it because of the tax breaks Nashville gave Dell to lure them here. Overall the city welcomed Dell with open arms. You will find some people in any city who oppose using public money to lure private businesses. To say the citizens of Nashville "fought hard to keep it out" once again shows your ignorance. <BR> <BR>I appreciate your concern over our credit rating but don't worry we will be fine. That has happened before and the world did not end. You know nothing about our state's financial situation - once reforms are made to the state's medical welfare program and other cuts that should be made are carried out, the state will be in good shape WITHOUT your beloved income tax. Then who will the ignorant one be? - me for living in a state where I get to keep more of my hard-earned money or you for living in a state that never met a tax it did not like. All those taxes do wonder for the NYC public schools from what I have heard. <BR> <BR>Since the majority of the arguments you have posed against Nashville are for the most part misguided, I have to wonder if the real problem you have with Nashville is a personal one. Perhaps a job layoff/firing or no luck with the plentiful beautiful women in our city.

xxx Aug 13th, 2001 10:41 AM

Hey musiccityman, you live in Nashville, I thought you were supposed to be ignorant! Some pretty good points you made. Who's the ignorant one? <BR> <BR>I'd have no objection to a repeal of the NYS and NYC income tax. <BR> <BR>All New Yorkers do not think alike. <BR> <BR>

Caroline Aug 13th, 2001 11:44 AM

Sorry, guys. I owe you all an apology. I read Philip's post and was just sort of caught up in what he was saying. My parents are from the South, but I was born and raised in the Northeast. I'd rather still be there, but Nashville does have some wonderful attributes. The North and South are very different, and each has its own good and bad points. I understand that you can find sophistication and lack thereof anywhere you go. I have a feeling that my apology comes too late, but I thought I'd try anyway.

Philip Aug 13th, 2001 11:48 AM

Musiccityman, I would not decide to reside in or leave a city based on the "plentiful beautiful women". For me, that is a non-issue.

Chris Aug 13th, 2001 11:49 AM

Well, I live in KY about an hour north of Nashville..I find that Nashville is my oasis of a fine city.....I've traveled all over the world and you wont find another town that gives you the class and culture WITH the fun and friendliness...other than Nashville.

Bo Cephus Aug 13th, 2001 12:34 PM

If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie, I don't wanna go <BR>If heaven ain't a lot like Dixie, I'd just as soon stay home <BR>If they don't have a Grand Ole Opry, like they do in Tennessee <BR>Just send me to hell or New York City, it would be about the same to me <BR>

MisplacedYankee Aug 13th, 2001 02:32 PM

Be prepared in the winter, if it snows an inch they shut everything down and they can't drive...

windowseat Aug 13th, 2001 02:46 PM

I thought the airport there was so cute..like a little european airport nestled in a little mountain valley. The new library was under construction when I was there and looks like it will be incredible. Lots of latinos are moving into the area for work around there and will give the place more cosmopolitan feel. It also has that show business side which gives it a touch of yankee liberalism. Those are my impressions.

Malcolm Aug 13th, 2001 05:13 PM

Caroline: very classy, succinct statement. Comments forgotten. Next topic. <BR> <BR>Philip: you're being hammered here. No reasonable defense for your initial comments at all? <BR> <BR>Chris: hmmmm....after travelling ALL over the world you can't find a city with better combo of class, culture and fun than Nashville? Sydney is orders of magnitude better on all counts. Then there's Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Melbourne, Barcelona, Berlin. <BR>Don't even have to venture beyond the US for Chicago, Miami, SF, Seattle..... <BR>

yankeeinnashville Aug 14th, 2001 05:25 AM

<BR>Misplaced yankee-you are correct about the traffic problems when it snows here - the good news is that it rarely does. I have lived here for 4 years and I would say the city has averaged a couple of very minor snowfalls at the most each year. If you were judging a city by a its residents aversion to driving in snow, that would rule out living anywhere but the upper Midwest and the Northeast. Any city south of those areas has the same snow problems as Nashville. <BR> <BR>Windowseat-you make a very good point by mentioning the music industry. There are people that have moved to Nashville literally from all over the world because of the music industry. Not just country either - just to name a few - Steve Winwood, Michael McDonald, Nick Lache(any teens at there will recognize him as a member of boy band 98 degrees), Stuart Adamson(lead singer of the Scottish band Big Country), and even members of a Russian rock band. One of the major music publishing companies recently announced plans to move their worldwide publishing operations here from Europe. Doesn't sound like a city with no culture or diversity to me. <BR> <BR>Philip - there is not much I can add in response to your ridiculous rantings. You basically got your a** kicked in this argument. Stick to giving NYC travel tips - that is a topic you actually know something about - I have seen you give helpful advice in that area. <BR> <BR>Finally - Bruce - I assure you that, unless you have Philip's misguided views and attitude, you will have no problem feeling comfortable in Nashville. I have found it to be a wonderful place to live and raise a family.

Philip Aug 14th, 2001 06:05 AM

Thank you all who have bashed me, I thought people who read this board were a little more tolerant of opposing opinions, but I guess I was wrong. <BR> <BR>I wish to point out that my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. In fact, more so because I am one of the few who actually answered the post properly, (i.e. a Yankee who had lived in Nashville). <BR> <BR>What the poster can deduce about people living in Nashville is that they have no tolerance for opinions/experiences unlike their own, which makes a person ignorant. <BR> <BR>