Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nashville Hotel Location -- West End or Opryland Area?

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
moo
Original Poster

Will be in Nashville March 26 for one night while traveling. Have tickets to 9:30 Grand Ole Opry but will arrive in town about 5 p.m. What would be the best area to stay in -- West End area or Opryland area? Would like to experience honkey tonks with teenagers but not sure if there is enough time to do that. How long would it take to drive to Grand Ole Opry for the 9:30 show from West End? It area so congested that it would affect getting to hotel in Opryland area? Can one walk from Hampton Inn and Suites Opryland area to Grand Ole Opry? Help! Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 09:50 AM

I live in Nashville and I would recommend if you are looking for nightlife to stay in downtown Nashville. The Renaissance is very nice and a great location. There is also a Marriott Courtyard, Hilton and others. You can walk to all the bars and restaurants down on Broadway. West End is fun also but will be more college bars not honky tonks. It would take about 15 minutes to drive to Opryland from downtown in the evening. Not sure about the hotels out around Opryland. Not much to do out there besides the Opryland Hotel which has alot to offer.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM

I'm not sure about walking from the Hampton Inn to the Opry. Looking at a map, my guess is that it would depend on how determined you are. That area is not incredibly pedestrian friendly.

Pretty much the only attractions of the Opryland area are the hotel and the Opry itself. It's 20 minutes away at least from anything else you want to do. I'd stay downtown (especially if you want to walk to honky-tonks) or in the West End area, for sure. Much more convenient to the usual tourist things.

West End to the Opry House on a Friday or Saturday night is probably 30 minutes. Maybe a little less. You should have no problem checking in, eating dinner and getting to the Opry House by 9ish.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM

I find the Opry area to be pretty unappealing, personally...it could be any congested exit area off just about any interstate highway, except that it has a massive hotel and convention complex.

If you like Hampton Inns (and I do) the downtown property is in a great location and they offer free parking--a real plus if you will be there with a car.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM

I would recommend staying in downtown.There is so much to do and see and alot of fun places to eat dinner at and great bars to.Have fun
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM

Here's another recommendation to stay downtown.

And I'll agree with jent103, unless you're a hugely die-hard fan of Dukes of Hazzard (Cooter's Place) or Willie Nelson (Willie Nelson and Friends Museum) and the tourist-trap atmospheres of these attractions appeal, the Opry (as well as its small museum) and Opryland Hotel are the main reasons to spend time out in the Opryland area.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM

When Opry Mills mall was open, that was somewhat of an entertaining diversion, if you were into shopping, but the flood shut it down and as far as I know, it remains closed.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM

It is indeed closed, except for the Bass Pro Shop. They're still locked in legal mess with the insurers, and a lot of the stores have moved to developments in Wilson or Williamson counties, which of course is bad news for Davidson (metro Nashville) tax revenue. Not to mention all the Opry Mills employees who've had to look for new jobs.