Search

Florida Accom and transport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Accom and transport

Hello everyone
My husband and I are travelling from Australia to Florida and other Southern USA states in October this year. We will be flying into Miami airport late afternoon on a Tuesday.

We hope to see sights in Miami, Miami Beach, Little Havana, the Art Deco buildings near South Beach, and some Everglades etc. We were planning on staying 2 nights in Miami itself, then driving down to Key West and having two nights before driving back to Miami. From there we are travelling to Orlando.

I have been doing a lot of research on places to stay, and there are just so many options that I'm not sure where we should stay.

My first option is to get a car at Miami airport, and use it to travel to the Everglades, pay for parking at a hotel in Miami for 2 nights, then drive down to the Keys. Second option is to pick up a car on the morning that we are driving to the keys, and just do some sort of tour out to the Everglades from Miami.

Any suggestions on this? Best area to stay in to pick up a hire car? Is a tour a better way to see the Everglades, or self drive? Just get a car from the airport and save the transport from airport to hotel?

Thanks in advance..
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 02:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Am topping this for you. It used to be that some of those "downtown Miami" car rental locations were in places that looked like war zones. The advantage was, I believe, that you avoided paying the airport taxes for some. There are car rental places that are closer to the airport.

I suppose you could do the things you want to do in Miami using various forms of public transport which would save on parking charges, etc., but you'll obviously give up some flexibility.

As to a tour of the Everglades I am certain there must be companies who provide that for visitors. Be aware that Miami is the busiest cruise port in the US and especially on Saturdays and Sundays the airport can be a very busy place.

I am sure someone will post with more specific recommendations so just be patient for a bit.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car is going to be your transport from Miami to Orlando, right?
Aussies pay a lot less for rental cars than U.S. Citizens, and a 7 day rental is only about $40 more than a 4 day rental. So the parking charges are really the only worry, choose a hotel with convenient, cheap parking.

Your best car rate is going to be with Nationalcar.com or Alamo, and if Disney is your destination you can choose the Disney return location near Orlando.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 02:03 PM

You can get really detailed information about the Everglades here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...k_Florida.html

Old Aug 11th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help

Correct clarkgriswold - car will take us to Orlando.