Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nashville and Atlanta (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nashville-and-atlanta-1668074/)

LindaandDave Jun 9th, 2019 09:38 AM

Nashville and Atlanta

Hi
I am flying into Nashville on a Wednesday in October and flying out of Atlanta the following Monday. My plan is to spend 3 nights in Nashville taking in the Opry on the Friday night. I’ve been told the Country Music Hall of Fame is a must do along with the Studio B tour. Thinking of staying at the Omni hotel ..... is that a good choice?
I then plan to visit the Great Smokey Mountains - perhaps staying in Gatlinburg on the Saturday night. My problem is where to stay on the Sunday night - I need to be no more than one hour from Atlanta airport.
Any advice is most welcome - nothing is booked apart from the flights. I am driving myself mad looking at options!!
Many thanks

cgenster Jun 9th, 2019 01:11 PM

It’s a three and a half hour drive from Nashville to Gatlinburg and an almost four hour drive from Gatlinburg to Atlanta. If you need to be within an hour of the Atlanta airport Sunday night you won’t have much time to see any of the Smokey Mountains, if you’re going there Saturday. Also October in the Smokey Mtns/Gatlinburg area is a very busy time. If you do want a night there I would suggest getting reservations ASAP.
Another option would be to visit Lookout Mountain/Rock City or Cloudland Canyon. Both of these would be on the way from Nashville to Atlanta and are worth seeing if you haven’t been.
The Omni Hotel is located in downtown Nashville and is a great location for the Hall of Fame and all the honky-tonks on Broadway. If you’re seeing the Opry at the Ryman then you will be close to it also. If it’s at the Opryland location you’ll have to drive or get an Uber or Lyft.

LindaandDave Jun 9th, 2019 01:36 PM

Thank you for your advice cgenster .... perhaps the Smokey Mountains are not what I should be aiming for. I am off to Orlando with the family and thought it would be good to fit in a mini trip to this area beforehand having never been. I have 2 full days to travel to Atlanta but I guess staying in Gatlinburg and visiting the Smokey’s is going back on myself. Do you have any suggestions where to stay in Lookout Mountain/Rock City or Cloudland Canyon? I will do some research.

cgenster Jun 9th, 2019 01:51 PM

Cloudland Canyon is a Georgia state park and has cabins you can stay in. They may have a two night minimum though during that time. If you opt for Lookout Mountain, look for lodging around Chattanooga, TN. There are plenty of hotel options there.

LNE Jun 9th, 2019 06:00 PM

The Omni is a great hotel option - it's connected to The Country Music Hall of Fame. You're also just a quick walk away from Broadway and The Ryman.
The Country Music Hall of Fame is neat if you're a big country music fan. I've done it once and that was enough for me, but it's cool to see once!

sf7307 Jun 10th, 2019 08:26 AM

We are country music fans (not fanatics, but fans). We spent much longer at the CMHOF Museum and Studio B than we expected to. Thought it was great and loved the Studio B tour.

LindaandDave Jun 11th, 2019 01:54 PM

Thank you all for your replies - the Museum and Studio B tour are a definite to do. I am not a huge country fan but love all music.
Cgenster .... I will look at the Chattanooga area for my first night after Nashville but I need to stay somewhere closer to Atlanta on my second night. I am considering Kennesaw - do you have an opinion on this or any other suggestion? I know nothing about the area - it’s a long way from my home in England!
Sorry about the delay in replying - it’s quite restrictive only be able to post two times in 24 hours.

cgenster Jun 11th, 2019 03:34 PM

Hi LindaandDave,
Kennesaw is right off 75 and is a good place to stop. I used to live in Kennesaw in the 80’s but from what I hear I wouldn’t recognize it now. There are a lot of restaurants, shops, breweries and bars in the area, when I lived there we had a diner a Mexican restaurant, Dairy Queen and a McDonalds.
It is about 35 miles north of the Atlanta airport and with it being a Sunday, hopefully not too much traffic. However, light traffic is never a given in Atlanta. If you give yourself enough time to get to the airport and turn your rental car in, you should be fine.

cgenster Jun 11th, 2019 03:38 PM

Oh wait, I just reread your original post. If you are traveling to the airport on Monday, you probably want to be closer to the airport than Kennesaw.
Midtown, and Virginia-Highlands are two areas that you may want to check out for your Sunday night stay.