Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NASCAR is Coming !!! Run for the hills, or beach or where ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nascar-is-coming-run-for-the-hills-or-beach-or-where-618457/)

SAnParis May 25th, 2006 11:42 AM

NASCAR is Coming !!! Run for the hills, or beach or where ?

Being a loyal Charlotte resident, I of course leave town when the NASCAR hordes arrive. I am headed to the Beach tomorrow until Wednesday. Where do other Charlotteans & residents of towns w/NASCAR facilities go when the NASCAR hordes descend on their place of residence ?

AnnMarie_C May 25th, 2006 11:48 AM

If I were a resident of Charlotte I would head straight for the track! but you run....save yourself.... I'll have to settle for the sofa. ;-)

SAnParis May 25th, 2006 11:52 AM

Actually that race will probably start before I leave tomorrow & I'll be able to see the finish when I return on Wednesday, talk about a long race...

AnnMarie_C May 25th, 2006 11:58 AM

Charlotte is a great track--one of my faves! Having sat in race traffic in other cities I understand how you must feel about the hordes descending on your city. Enjoy a great weekend! :-)

SAnParis May 25th, 2006 12:05 PM

Thanks very much, we will...everyone here has been laughing about all the traffic all day, it is comical...they need to hand out free GPS units for anyway entering the state this week.

GoTravel May 25th, 2006 12:06 PM

Charleston of course!

beach_dweller May 26th, 2006 06:08 AM

SAnParis,

as a Charlottean, I expect that you know to avoid Myrtle Beach this weekend . . . unless you want to witness the unofficial ninja bike racing that Bikefest generates for about 3 straight days on virtually all of our roads. :-)

SAnParis May 26th, 2006 06:34 AM

We typically go to Holden (sometimes Oak Island)...I saw there were 8 fatalities down there for the prior 'Bike Week'. You should be leaving town also...

GoTravel May 26th, 2006 07:58 AM

Considering Daytona had 19 fatalities for bike week, all things considered, Myrtle Beach did a pretty good job.

Gretchen May 26th, 2006 09:04 AM

I'll just stay on my side of town!! This is a biggie this year with the premiere of Cars. They are showing it tonight to 30,000 people.

ncgrrl May 26th, 2006 10:07 AM

My brother and SIL are having people in for the weekend and are going to the race (and probably some of the festivities in downtown Charlotte).

At times like this, I think he wishes he still lived in Harrisburg, just a mile or so from the track.

vegasnative May 26th, 2006 01:47 PM

When NASCAR comes to Vegas we "go with the flow" and also go to the track. Maybe one day we will get out of the stands and get a spot up on "Hollywood Hill" with the luxury RV's....our travel trailer would look silly sitting next to them, but I would love to take it to the infield on year....nothing better than BBQ, beer and the smell of racing fuel and burnt rubber!!!
signed a #20 & #38 fan!!

beach_dweller May 27th, 2006 07:46 AM

SAnParis,

We just hunker down and endure it usually. Nearly all of the Harley fatalities were a result of left-turn failure to yield at intersection.

Bikefest just claimed its first fatality yesterday (Friday).

We stock up, drive during the day, and get off the roads before happy hour begins. Better safe than sorry.

And I do have to say, except for the noise of customized pipes, the harley riders seemed fairly unaggressive this year. Same so far for the Bikefest folks--mostly fairly slow riding, although every once in a while I've seen extremely outrageous accelerations in residential streets: e.g., 60-70 in a 35 zone. Oh well.

Sorry to hijack your thread--hope you're having a good beach weekend just north and out of earshot!

SAnParis Sep 27th, 2006 06:02 AM

I thought this an appropriate time to revive this thread (& yes, I'll be headed to the beach again)...

MerryTravel Sep 27th, 2006 07:16 AM

I grew up close enough to Michigan that the race traffic "trapped" us on our road, and we usually just stayed in for the day. In high school I worked at a small ice cream stand on one of the few roads leading to the track (I took back roads to get there), and a local or two would park at the edge of our lot and offer to show people stuck in stopped traffic the back way to the track for $20 a pop. Worth it when you consider they were still 10 miles away!

cmcfong Sep 27th, 2006 07:55 AM

How about Winston-Salem,SA? The Deacs are in town, the Dixie Classic Fair is going on, and there are always a few wineries to check out.

SAnParis Sep 27th, 2006 09:28 AM

I'm an Ohio State fan but thanks for the invite...we frequently head up that way (W-S) in the Fall.

cmcfong Sep 27th, 2006 10:27 AM

Buckeyes welcome!

razzledazzle Sep 27th, 2006 12:12 PM

When NASCAR arrives at Infineon in Sonoma County, the general rule of thumb for the weekend is not to go
South on Hwy 101 past Novato, definitely not the time to go in to SF, and a trip East over the hill into the town of Sonoma is out of the question. Going West to the beach is a plan !
((Y))

R5

beach_dweller Sep 28th, 2006 09:13 AM

SA,

have you worn out the NC mountains yet? I was thinking Ashville, Hendersonville, Chimney Rock/Lake Lure, Cashiers/Highlands.