Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nappa Valley Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nappa-valley-help-389219/)

andyev Jan 19th, 2004 11:18 AM

Nappa Valley Help

My wife and I are staying at the Chateau something in Napa for a wedding and we want to go to the area for another 3 nights. I was hoping to use my Hilton points to stay at one of the Hiltons in Napa but we're afraid we'll be in one area for too long and miss out on some of the other areas. Are wineries in Calistoga or St Helena a long drive from Napa due to the winding roads or is it OK to stay in Napa for the whole trip? I've heard the Chateau ___ is a B&B so staying in a chain hotel the rest of the stay isn't a big deal for us. Any help would be great.

Thanks

razzledazzle Jan 19th, 2004 01:17 PM

The only 'Chateau' I know of in Napa is
the Chateau Hotel-a motel which is overpriced and noisy-thin walls. I hope it's some new B&B I have not heard of-do you have an address?
The Hilton Garden Inn in Napa is ok-you may want to check out the reviews at
tripadvisor.com-there are much nicer places to stay,but free is free!
Napa is 25 miles from Calistoga-a straight shot up Hwy 29 or the parallel
Silverado Trail (more scenic less traffic)-no curvey roads if you are going to limit your visit just to Napa County and no shortage of wineries either! The drive will take you around 40 mins.-you slow down to get thru St. Helena, but stop and get out of your car here and in Yountville-no shortage of terrific restaurants either! Check out this map at www.napavaley.com/maps
and you can see all the wineries in the county. If you like spas you might consider a night or 2 in Calistoga-
hot springs, jacuzzi, massage etc.
If you do come over to Sonoma County-then there will be some windy roads-but they are beautiful roads!
I'd be happy to answer any questions!
Enjoy!
R5

kimamom Jan 19th, 2004 01:29 PM

A night or two in Calistoga is an excellent suggestion. We like the Indian Springs Resort, www.indianspringscalistoga.com You can read my story on their website.

Catahoula's has recently closed, which is a shame. It was our favorite dinner spot. Any other suggestions for dinner in this area? The Sterling Vineyards (take the tram ride to the top) and Clos Pegase are our two favorites in this area. ***kim*** :)

Underhill Jan 19th, 2004 08:14 PM

While you're in the town of Napa, pay a visit to Copia, a large food and wine...well, I'm not sure how to describe it. There are displays, marvelous gardens (both flowers and veggies), the outstanding Julia's Kitchen restaurant (the only one that Julia Child has allowed to be named for her), and wine tastings. I suppose it's a prime spot for foodies and wine-lovers, but it's much more than that.

Wineries begin perhaps half an hour's drive north of Napa, and you can have a marvelous time stopping and sipping and eating at various good restaurants. Just below St. Helena is a branch of Dean and DeLucca, and there's also--near Yountville--the famous Oakville Grocery Store. One very fine restaurant in the area featuring California cuisine is the Mustard Grill.

andyev Jan 20th, 2004 10:42 AM

Thanks for your help. Are there good B&Bs that are reasonably priced? <$200 a night. I found a lot on the internet like Burgandy House and Bourdeaux House in Yountville and Bylund House and Rustridge in St Helena. Are these any good or do they just look good on the internet? Thanks again.

razzledazzle Jan 20th, 2004 01:57 PM

As it sounds like you are coming during high season this may be tough to find-I know not about the B&B's you mentioned but can advise on The Candlelight Inn in Napa or The Best Western Elm street Inn in Napa is a wonderful boutique type property that feels much like a B&B (check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com-please!)
BTW-Wine tasting can be had not 10 minutes from Napa, and IMHO MustardS
is not the best of what the Valley has to offer. Some like it but it is a tourist destination-there are so many other places!Tra Vigne,Terra, Martini House,ZuZu,Bouchon,Bistro Jeanty,Gordon's-flip a coin on any of those!
R5
R5

kimamom Jan 20th, 2004 03:15 PM

I have not been to Mustard's...yet, but Cindy Pawlcyn, the owner of Mustard's has recently opened Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena and it is receiving rave reviews. www.cidnysbackstreetkitchen.com

Also, her cookbook Mustard's Grill Napa Valley Cookbook won the James Beard Award for Best Americana Cookbook and was nominated for the I.A.C.P. cookbook of the year award. She is one fantastic chef! I bought the cookbook a couple of years ago for my hubby for Father's Day. www.mustardsgrill.com is the website.

I think we'll try one of these two places for lunch when we're in the area in May. ***kim***