Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Naples Restaurants New Year's Eve (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/naples-restaurants-new-years-eve-281782/)

Patrick Dec 28th, 2002 04:32 AM

Naples Restaurants New Year's Eve

Weird. Last night I posted an answer to LilMsFoodie, I believe about New Year's Eve in Naples -- posted at 7 PM, but it seems to be gone today, maybe because it had gotten silly about me being sick and then an apology about disturbing me. Or maybe removed because it was directed to me?<BR>Anyway, email me and I will provide the infor direct this time.<BR>And no, I am not sick!

lil Dec 28th, 2002 07:18 AM

Patrick, I wrote down all your helpful info. I don't know why it is gone, probably because other people were nasty. Thanks again gotta pack.

LilMsFoodie Dec 29th, 2002 02:24 PM

Hey Patrick. It wasn't me, I haven't posted here much since the hullabaloo about my experience at the Ritz Carlton Spa in Naples. The posts there got very nasty and accusatory and that thread was eliminated as well. An adendum to that experience is a recent Wall Street Journal weekend article that had the very same complaints I had about the service and atmosphere and the nickel diming. I imagine the Ritz will be on a clean up campaign in the spa and the restaurants (also criticized for their 90's sensibilities in today's travel market).<BR><BR>I'd love to know what your ideas for New Years Eve would be. We had a lovely new years at Campiello, one of my favorites. This year we will just do dinner at home and see Chicago. I can afford the Champagne I love if we eat at home (Winston Churchill). I'd love to have your opinion about Bleu Provence (?).

Patrick Dec 29th, 2002 03:05 PM

Sorry, LilMsFoodie. I guess it was lil who did the post -- so many &quot;lils&quot; suddenly.<BR>Interesting comments about the Ritz and yes I remember that thread that went horribly bad. Aren't you in Sarasota or am I confused? A few weeks ago we had our usual cocktails at the Sarasota Ritz before going to the Asolo at night. The waitress brought our cocktails and abruptly said, &quot;and how will you be paying for this tonight?&quot; She wanted a credit card immediately. I wasn't sure what brought on this new and rude approach.<BR>What is happening to the Ritz's?<BR><BR>Campiello was one of the places I mentioned for NYE, especially if it warms up enough to eat outside there. I suggested any of the places on Fifth Avenue -- Pazzo and Chops in particular because the street will be buzzing and a fun place to walk afterwards. Unfortunately here most of the places are making the night such a big deal -- fixed prices of $100 and up per person -- dinner only. It is getting very hard to find a place just to go have a nice meal that night. My other suggestion was St. George and the Dragon -- no special prices, but as usual no reservations so a big wait -- but great holiday atmosphere and you could still stroll Fifth afterwards. And then my new favorite steakhouse, Stoney's at Harbortown.<BR><BR>About a dozen of us in The Naples Players are getting together to do our own progressive dinner that night. I'm doing the appetizers at my place, then two more stops, the dessert course being near a home where they always have fireworks. Luckily the husband of the couple next door to me, who are also participants, doesn't drink -- so I have a designated driver!<BR><BR>I ate just once at Bleu Provence, very close to my place and we could even walk there on a nice evening. I had a lamb shank for something like $29 that I could barely cut with my knife, not the fall-off-the-bone variety I was expecting. We had an obnoxious waiter who told us at least 20 times that this was the BEST restaurant in Naples -- WRONG!! I want to like the place, such a great ambiance, but so far it's a no go for me. Several friends went one night and ordered a special three course meal they were offering, mainly because of what sounded like an incredible dessert. But they ran out of the dessert and substituted a small bowl of vanilla or chocolate ice cream. There was no apology and no price reduction. When they protested, the waiter said, &quot;well now you know you need to come earlier next time.&quot;

LilMsFoodie Dec 29th, 2002 03:26 PM

thanks for the Bleu review. I live in Fort Myers..an interior designer for Robb &amp; Stucky. Haven't seen the Naples Players but go to Theatre Conspiracy in Fort Myers as well as the Arcade theatre and Sanibel Pirates before it went terribly wrong. Anyone reading this should know that the threatre arts are alive and well in Southwest Florida. Many outstanding venues for such a small population.<BR><BR>I enjoy dining and wine, having done both catering, and teaching cooking and conducting wine appreciation classes in an earlier life in Michigan. <BR><BR>We have some unusual people popping up here. Seem primarily to be armchair travellers and quick to attack . Thanks for your posts.

Patrick Dec 29th, 2002 04:09 PM

Ah, then I was confused -- certainly didn't place you in Ft. Myers. By all means come see the Naples Players at the beautiful Sugden Theatre on Fifth Avenue South. In fact if you come see Kiss Me Kate between February 27 and March 29, you'll have the added &quot;pleasure&quot; of seeing yours truly as Harrison Howell, the show's backer and fiance to Lili (Kate). Not one of my more major roles, but will be fun and promises to be an excellent production. Dinner and a show on Fifth Avenue -- what could be greater?<BR><BR>(and I love your description of the &quot;progress&quot; of Pirate's Playhouse.)