Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Naples/Marco Island vs. Ft.Lauderdale (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/naples-marco-island-vs-ft-lauderdale-425886/)

Janny Apr 26th, 2004 09:46 AM

Naples/Marco Island vs. Ft.Lauderdale

Can someone please advise me of the difference between these places. I've been to Ft.Lauderdale and enjoyed it a lot!! Kind of looking into going to Naples or Marco Island instead and wanted to know how they compare to Ft. Lauderdale?

Tandoori_Girl Apr 26th, 2004 12:53 PM

Neither is as old or as large a city as Ft. Lauderdale. In fact, Marco does not have much to do at all, unless you have a boat. Naples on the other hand has a lively downtown but nothing that compares to Ft. Lauderdale.

Janny, don't go to Naples or Marco hoping it will be like Ft. Lauderdale. Neither has the boat life, the water taxis, the older communities, the suburban spread, the traffic, that mid-century architecture. They are very different places. But lucky for you they're not so far apart. Why not spend a couple of nights in Naples, then make a day trip to Marco on your way to spend a couple of nights in Ft. Lauderdale? Or something similar.

Judyrem Apr 26th, 2004 05:23 PM

Very nice answer Tnadoori Girl :-). We will be moving to FLL at the end of June. I love FLL, and I also Like Naples, but they are like apples and oranges to me.

Janny Apr 27th, 2004 04:48 AM

Uh oh. Apples to Oranges? Is it that big of a difference? Does this mean Naples is more laid back vs. Ft.Lauderdale more city?

Tandoori_Girl Apr 27th, 2004 06:28 AM

Janny, with a little research you will find that the population of Ft. Lauderdale is about six times the population of Naples. So it stands to reason that there will be more of a city in Ft. Lauderdale. This can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for. I suggest you make a decision on this and move on. You will never know how Ft. Lauderdale compares to Naples or Clearwater or anywhere else without going there.

Good luck.

Janny Apr 30th, 2004 08:16 AM

I understand. I'm just very indecisive.
I don't want to be disappointed or waste money. Ahh decisions?

lawngirl Apr 30th, 2004 11:29 AM

I've been to Marco Island and FLL--i prefer Marco Island. It's a little pricey but much more family oriented and not as touristy. Naples is about 1/2 hour away from Marco Island....it is absolutely beautiful. I was only there for one night but would love to go back. It was like being on 5th Ave in NYC except the white sandy beach was across the street. Hope this helps!

birdergirl May 2nd, 2004 02:28 PM

It just depends on what you want to do. The West Coast of Florida (Naples/Sanibel) is where we go to get away from Fort Lauderdale (where we live and work our butts off.) If you want nightlife, stay in Fort Lauderdale. If you want to completely relax, pick up a seashell on the beach, and just generally get some rest, go up the road from Naples a little to Sanibel Island.

If, however, you want to boogie, please feel free to check out my little dissertation on the post about attractions in Fort Lauderdale. Either way, welcome to Florida, and have a great time!

linman May 2nd, 2004 03:13 PM

I have actually just returned on the 28th from both these locations. We stayed in a condo next to Lago Mar and then at the Radisson on Marco. My choice would be Marco . The beach was gorgeous, the area so tropical and relaxing.Their certainly was lots more going on in the way of nightlife in Ft. Lauderdale, but Marco felt much more vacationy to me.We went to Naples a few nights to eat and shop and there was lots to do . The Gulf was a lot calmer for swimming last week and many more people in the water on the Gulf than the ocean. It felt warmer,too.