Naples - good for honeymoon?

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples - good for honeymoon?

Hi

Would Naples be good for a honeymoon - say 10 days? Where would you reccomend staying? Ritz Carlton a bit out our price range!!!

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - just to add one more thing. I'm trying to find out the layout of Naples. I hear that the best restaurants etc are in the 'Old Town' area (5th Avenue etc) - Am I right?
If so - is the beach far away?
I ask not because of the beach as neither my fiancee or I are 'beachy' type people - it's just cause it's our honeymoon we kind of had our heart set on having a room with an Ocean/Coast view to enjoy in the evenings, but are a bit worried that to stay there would put us too far away from the good restaurants/shops etc...

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:08 AM
mrt

Not knowing about you and your situation it is difficult to advise you whether Naples is a good choice.Are you driving there or flying. When is the honeymoon in summer or winter. Are you in your 20s or your 60s

I have been to Naples 4-5 times as 2-3 day getaways from the east coast of Florida. Truthfully, I would be bored stiff if I had to spend 10 days there. There is nothing going on to maintain your interest. Naples is centered along highway 41. I have stayed at the Ritz which is not cheap but is located on the Gulf. You may want to check out the Registry, the Edgewater Beach and the LaPlaya Beach. I would not go back to the Ritz.

Naples has 5th St. and old naples which is 5 minutes away. The hotels mentioned are about 10 minutes away by car. Yes there are restaurants and bars.

You may want to check out the Casa Marina in Key West. Key West has more going on for the young or the young at heart. If you could afford it check out the Atlantis on Paradise Island. It is incredible and a great place for a honeymoon. Not cheap but maybe there are packages available. If so, try to stay in the mid range or better rooms.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 06:22 AM

With 10 days you could do a mix A few days in Naples a overnight In key West By taking the ferry service from Marco Island or Ft Myers Beach for a day or overnight.Do a trip to South Beach Miami for a day trip of for a night or two very easy to commute back and forth across Only 120 miles to South Beach from Naples .you will get the best of florida that way
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 06:29 AM

I forgot to add that they Have some 1-2 day or 3-4 day short cruises out of Miami to the Bahamas or Cancun and Key West you can get great rates short notice with free up grades. For under $100.00 a day PP check the local Florida papers on line or call the cruise lines close to the departure. days .
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:48 PM

I agree that 10 days will seem like 20 in Naples, especially if you are under 40.
You could split your stay with some time at Marco Island to the south and/or Sanibel/Captiva Island to the north, but they are not that far apart, so they might not feel that different.
Actually half Naples and half Fort Lauderdale (opposite coasts) would be better.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM

No one who has ever stayed at the Ritz or LaPlaya -- considerably north of 5th Avenue -- has ever driven that distance in 10 minutes, even in the dead of summer, yet alone in season. I suspect that those who say Naples is dead and boring either haven't been there in at least 6 or 7 years, or else they simply aren't remembering things very well. They certainly don't remember driving distances!!!

And anyone who could suggest that Marco Island would be LESS boring than Naples, really doesn't have a clue!
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Ok - We're going in July. Looking to combine the 10 days in somewhere like Naples (relaxing) with 4 days in New York (busy).
We're flying from the UK - So the stop in New York on the way there makes sense.

Confused about Naples now - we're on Honeymoon so certainly not looking for 'busy nightlife'. Rather somewhere to relax with nice quaint shops to wander about during the day and then nice restaurants to go to at night. Not really interested too much in bars/clubs etc....

More thoughts would be appreciated

Martin
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Looked a bit more into the Ritz Carlton - and it perhaps wouldn't be too expensive. Is it worth the money? Looking at a deluxe Ocean Front room -deescription is : GULF FRONT ROOM (KING/2DBL) FACES WEST AND OFFERS SWEEPING VIEWSOF WHITE SAND BEACHES AND THE GULF OF MEXICO. Priced at $289 per night. Anyone stayed in this type of room? Would people reccomend this hotel? Is it easily walkable to the good restaurants at night?

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:08 AM

A Gulf front room at the Ritz would be wonderful with a lovely view of the mangroves and the beach. I think you would be better off with a car as the Ritz is a little isolated but it is a luxurious resort and there are a few restaurants around there that would be within walking distance. Petrol and car rentals are relatively cheap in Naples to UK.

I especially love Baleen which has the loveliest views of any restaurant in SW Florida and the food and service are excellent.

There is a lot to do in Naples, I can not imagine someone being bored unless they only want dance clubs that open at midnight and perhaps wrestling (G).

I think of Marco more for familiies, much like Sanibel with life centered on the beach and little to offer otherwise other than fishing.

LMF
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:31 AM

Hi Martin,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. To answer your Naples question, the downtown 5th Ave area is a few blocks from the beach. Patrick, who's answered above, lives there & has previously recommended the Escalente hotel in the downtown area , but I don't think it's on the beach. I've stayed downtown at the Inn on Fifth which is small & very nice but it's also not on the beach (you can walk or drive). The pool is very small at the Inn on Fifth & not very attractive (it sits behind the parking lot). The hotel feels more like a city/business hotel than a resort place. The Ritz Carlton is about a 20 minute drive from downtown. They evidently have, as you've found out, great summer rates. But if you're looking for someplace to stay that's on the water yet walking distance to shops & restaurants, I'm not sure Naples is the place! On the east (Atlantic) coast of Florida, The Marriott in Del Ray Beach is on the ocean & at the end of Atlantic Avenue, the main street, with tons of good restaurants. You can fly to either Fort Lauderdale or west Palm Beach to get there. There are also hotels in Ft Lauderdale that are on the beach & right near restaurants. And of course Miami Beach/South Beach has tons of ocean front hotels where you can also walk to shops & restaurants.

But you were told, I think, months ago, that Florida in July is hot, hot, hot. If you're looking for a restful spot after NYC, why not consider the Hamptons or Montauk which is a 2-3 hour train, car or bus ride away from NY? Beautiful beaches, pretty towns, nice restaurants & much more activity than Florida at that time of year. If this interests you, post back & I can tell you more or do a search here. Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:57 AM

Ah from the UK and in July. That puts a different light on it.
If you plan to NOT have a car, then I would recommend the Escalante www.escalante.com (I think), a sort of quiet garden hidden hideaway at the crossroads and walking distance of the two main shopping and restaurant streets -- Fifth Avenue South and Third Street South. By July the brand new Bice will be open right across the street. It is two blocks to the beach, so no view, but the gardens and quiet area do seem nice for a honeymoon.
But if you like big resort and the ocean view, don't be afraid of the Ritz. Summer specials there can be pretty amazing -- well under half of the usual season price. However, it is the resort atmosphere -- not a place for wandering shops and restaurants. You'd need a car for that and spend a small fortune taking taxis back and forth.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

OK...Not sure about the Ritz Carlton now. Not really what we're looking for I don't think. Want to be able to wander round quaint streets and soak up the traditional atmosphere of a place.
Thanks for the advice.

Re: The Hamptons - don't know much about it but certainly interested. Please post more about it!

Thanks
Martin
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:26 AM
GoTravel

I wouldn't recommend Key West for a honeymoon but I would second Palm Beach. While not on the beach, the Brazillian Court is a beautiful old Spanish looking hotel right on Worth Avenue which is great shopping and dining. Daniel Boulud just opened a restaurant in the hotel. Also, the oceanfront Breakers, while not in walking distance to anything but the beach, is beautiful.

I certainly would love 10 days at the Ritz-Carlton Naples with nothing but some R&R with my husband! How romantic! If you are already doing the hustle and bustle of NYC, I say go for Naples.

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM

Hotel Escalante would be a wonderful place to spend your honeymoon. Very quiet! Walk to all the shopping and dining. The pool is beautiful, the walk to the beach is very short. I love the Ritz, stayed their many many years when my children were growing up. This year was our first at the Escalante and we will be back in Nov and March. Just make sure that you get the suite, I have heard that the others are small.
Enjoy you stay!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Key West was one of my other options along with Naples.
Why would you not reccommend it for a Honeymoon?

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Or what about Sanibel Island?

I've scouted hotel deals etc and the places in Florida I look to be able to get good deals on are - Naples, Marco Island, Key West and Sanibel Island.

Thought on the pros/cons of these for a honeymoon (remembering we'll be coming off 4 days in New York so looking for rest) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:29 AM

I don't think I've heard yet if you plan to have a car or not, but I sort of assumed from your earlier post that you don't plan to get one.

I'd eliminate Marco Island for you first. It is fine for family beach vacations, but that doesn't sound like what you're into. And it is very limited on "shops". Also it is quite scattered -- you'd need a car.

Sanibel Island tends to be really hot in the summer (well, all your choices are). But if you go "shopping" in the couple of little centers, you are enclosed in trees, no breeze and it is simply choking. The beach again is the main thing, so if that isn't your main interest, I'd also forget Sanibel.

Key West may be the coolest of the lot, because it really picks up more breezes. (Remember "coolest" is a totally relative term here, I should say "less scorching"). Not a beach destination, it may be your best bet in terms for staying in town, walking to lots of restaurants and "shops" and just generally winding down from the hustle of New York.

Naples is far more upscale than Key West, but at the same time not necessarily more expensive. I don't mean to imply that Naples is going to be more "formal" in July, or at least very little. Most restaurants you'll even be able to wear shorts to and feel at home. But certainly the shopping is way more upscale than Key West.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:02 AM

If you're serious about 10 days in Florida, I'd follow Italiano's advice & split it up. Maybe 5 in Naples & 5 in Key West or Naples/Miami. Naples is upscale, beautiful beaches, "genteel" while Key West is a bit bohemian/funky or Miami which is younger. Remember the beaches in Key West are nothing much.

Do some research here on the Hamptons under destinations. You'd avoid having to fly from NY (but might make up the difference in a car rental). The pros vs Florida-it will be cooler, "in season" (Fla. in July is out of season) closer & has more "quaintness" (the area was settled in the 1600s by the English & many of the original buildings still stand).

The cons vs Fla.-there are no luxury hotels ON the beach apart from Gurney's Inn in Montauk which is very expensive in season. Options are either motel places on the beach (mostly in Montauk with a few in Amagansett & East Hampton) or charming b & bs or Inns that are not right on the beach. You really need a car in the Hamptons to see it all.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.
Naples does sound like the place we want. But I'm still open to suggestions.

Yes we will have a car - my only point was that because we will both like to have a drink with our evening meal - would like options for some night of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Not that we wouldn't drive any night.

Patrick - from what you say I think you think Naples suits us best - would I be right?

Still trying to find out more about The Hamptons. Not an awful lot on here about it. Will keep researching though

Thanks

Martin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information