Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Naples, Florida. Where to stay and what to see? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/naples-florida-where-to-stay-and-what-to-see-242766/)

cal Jul 24th, 2002 10:31 AM

Naples, Florida. Where to stay and what to see?

Looking for a upscale place to stay. What would be the most important things to do? Thanks for any information.

nancy Jul 24th, 2002 11:03 AM

The LaPlaya Beach Resort has been renovated, and they have a new waterfall pool. We had a great beachfront room with a huge balcony with cushion chairs. We had a marble bathroom with only one sink but it was real nice. Our room had brand new furnishings in it and the bed was very comfortable. The food and service was real good. There were four small pools. If you wanted some privacy there was hardly no one in the pool behind the two connecting waterfall pools. There were cushions on the pool chairs and some private cabanas. There was also beach chairs with umbrellas. They charge for the umbrellas but the chairs come with the room. Breakfast also came with the room. We paid $200 a night in July. I thought it was a good value and a very nice hotel. Naples has a lot of great shops and resturants. You can also play golf, parasail, jet-ski, and of course, enjoy the beach. You can also take a sunset sail or go deep sea fishing. You can also take sight seeing tours of the mansions in Naples by boat. I think Naples is one of the nicest cities in Florida. Everything is first-class.

cal Jul 24th, 2002 11:14 AM

Nancy, Thanks for all the info. How was the exercise room at La Playa? Do they have washers or dryers that you could use? Can you rent jet skis at La Playa? How about other recreational vechicles?Were the rooms and common areas clean? Thanks so much for your time.

Been there Jul 24th, 2002 11:58 AM

Don't stay at the Naples Beach and Golf Resort (or whatever it's called). Their web site talks about the family run resort, blah, blah, blah. Most of the staff was from eastern block countries and they were still unhappy about that! The room was filthy, room service terrible, and, my favorite part was when my 6 year old was covered with about 100 little ants 10 minutes after getting into the bed!

Mike W Jul 24th, 2002 12:26 PM

Cal-<BR><BR>We stayed there last weekend and I agree with all of Nancy's comments about the resort. We were with a convention, so I'm not sure about the pricing, but yes, they do have jet ski rentals ($65 for half hour I think), as well as a Hobie sailboat, some peddle boats, kayaks and the parasail boat.<BR><BR>The rooms were very clean, with the maids cleaning in the morning and straightening up with turn down service in the evening. The only thing I didn't like is that getting ice was a pain. It may have been a fluke while we were staying there, but none of the ice machines in our building were working!<BR><BR>As for location, be sure to stay in either the Gulf Tower or the Beach Tower. They have the view of the beaches and the rooms on the north end of the Gulf Tower have a view of the pool and the beach. Good luck and enjoy. Naples is a very relaxing place....

mag Jul 24th, 2002 01:02 PM

If you are looking for upscale, go with the Ritz or the Registry. The Ritz is among the best of all the RC's. <BR>Have fun!<BR>

nancy Jul 24th, 2002 02:52 PM

Cal, we were only stayed for 4 days at the La Playa so I don't know about the washer and dryer. I did not use the fitness center. We enjoyed walking on the beach as our exerise. The rooms were kept very clean as well as the common areas. I forgot to mention that there is a marina very close by. The Ritz Carlton is just down the beach from the La Playa. If you walk further you will see mansions on the beach. I was impressed.

cal Jul 24th, 2002 03:00 PM

Nancy, Thanks so much. How far is the Ritz Carlton from La Playa? Are the mansions in the same direction as the Ritz?