Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Naples casual beachfront dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/naples-casual-beachfront-dining-490572/)

Kiddo Dec 13th, 2004 07:50 AM

Naples casual beachfront dining

I'm heading down to Naples in a few days with my 19-year old daughter. Can any one recommend some casual beachfront restaurants or hotels that have dining facilities on the Gulf. I'd also be interested in learning of similar spots on Marco Island.

Many thanks.

Kiddo Dec 13th, 2004 10:18 AM

ttt

Any ideas?

Patrick Dec 13th, 2004 10:28 AM

There isn't a lot on the beach in Naples, as within the city it is virtually all residential.

At Vanderbilt Beach there are a couple of places -- The Turtle Club at the Vanderbilt Inn or Beach Resort just north of the Ritz is one, literally right on the beach and very casual.

There is the Ritz, which has a casual boardwalk restaurant right out on the beach and it is surprisingly good and also pretty reasonable (they have some of the best chicken wings in town) and great hamburgers or grouper sandwiches.
Of course, it may cost you about $10 to valet park there and they have eliminated any free self-park, although you can pay to park almost next door at the public area and then walk the beach to it.

In town, there is the very casual poolside "snackbar" at the Naples Beach and Gulf Resort. They do hotdogs, hamburgers, etc on paper plates right on the beach, and yes it is open to anyone. Take quarters to park at the meters next to the hotel.

Kiddo Dec 13th, 2004 11:05 AM

Thanks very much Patrick. I'll be sure to give those a try, although the upcoming weather for Naples is looking a little chilly for the next few days, so I'm not sure how much time we're going to be wanting to spend by the beach!

Patrick Dec 13th, 2004 11:10 AM

Well, don't be so sure. It was so cold this morning! I put on a long sleeve shirt, but by noon, I had wished I hadn't. It's just wonderful out right now and so bright and sunny.
I know it's supposed to dip into the 40's either tomorrow or Wednesday, but still in the upper 60's or even 70's by noon.

By the way, both the Riverwalk at Tin City and the Dock at Crayton Cove, are really fun and popular lunch spots, both on the water, but on the bay side not by the beach.

Also I bet your daughter would love sitting outside at Tommy Bahamas on 3rd Street South (the most wonderful chicken quesadillas and lots of other good stuff), but of course, that isn't on the beach either.

kcapuani Dec 13th, 2004 11:12 AM

I second the Riverwalk at Tin City. Very casual atmosphere with great food.

Kiddo Dec 13th, 2004 03:13 PM

Thanks again Patrick and also KCapuani.

We have been vacationing in Naples for many years (having a condo in Fallingwaters) and absolutely love it. While we have enjoyed Riverwalk and love the coconut shrimp at Tommy Bahamas, we were a little disappointed at the lack of beachfront dining spots.

I'm looking forward to trying your suggestions Patrick.

Tandoori_Girl Dec 13th, 2004 03:28 PM

Patrick, I drove by Tin City with my mouth open in awe when I was in Naples awhile back. What IS that funky place? It looked so out of place. But now you say they have a good restaurant? Shows you what I know -- nothing! Very interesting.

Patrick Dec 13th, 2004 04:10 PM

Tin City is actually some old boat warehouse type buildings that were redone as a sort of "tourist mall". You walk through and look at a dozen t-shirt and shell shops, mixed with a couple slightly higher end shops, but nothing to get excited about. There are actually a couple of decent restaurants there. One has changed hands a lot, but people say the current one is pretty good. Riverwalk (a sister to the very popular Dock restaurant) has been very popular for years and is a lively watering hole as well as a place for casual food and good fun. One of the big events of May here is the annual Dock Canoe Race which travels the bay from the Dock to the Riverwalk.

Kiddo, actually I think one of the things that makes Naples rather unique and special in Florida is the lack of beachfront highrises, hotels, and restaurants. although they do start in the northern part of the city. Within the major part of the city it is all beachfront private residences, but thankfully every street goes right to the beach and provides public beach access -- there are no private beaches in the city. So the "downside" of this is that you don't get beachfront restaurants.

Kiddo Dec 13th, 2004 06:34 PM

You're right Patrick -- Naples is very special. Being from Canada, we really look forward to a break from winter and Naples is the perfect place.