Search

Napa Valley Weather

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa Valley Weather

A small group of us are considering Napa Valley in April. Someone told me April is the rainy season. Should we consider May as an alternative? We would like San Francisco as a base and like the idea of an apartment. Our time frame is a week. Also, Carmel and Sausalito are on our "wish list". Can we do it all?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM

If you stay in San Francisco, You can take a quick ferry to Sausalito (it's the first town on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge). Napa is about an hour drive - you can definitely do it as a day trip if you are so inclined (and don't want more than a day in Napa). Carmel is a little farther - about 2 hours - so it can be done as a day trip, but I wouldn't recommend it. Preferably, rent a car in San Francisco, drive down to Carmel, do a little of the magnificent coast, stay overnight. If you're flying out of SFO, consider doing Carmel last, because SFO is on the way back (about an hour and a half).

As for the weather, even in years when we have a lot of rain, April is the tail end of the rainy season. You never know, but April should be very nice, and the later in April you can come, the less chance there will be that it will rain.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you sf7307. I appreciate all of your advice. We will reconsider our time frame more towards the end of April or beginning of May.
In addition to the usual celebrated restaurants of San Francisco and Napa Valley, would you have any other special recommendations for dining and touring in the areas that we plan to visit.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Here is a report on a day trip we took a couple of years ago. We live just south of SFO, so our starting point was a little closer than the city.

Sorry, but as for Napa, we don't tour much - we haven't been in a winery in 25 years (we have friends who have a house up there, so when we go, that's where we go - we do take little jaunts though, and have enjoyed Yountville (maybe the best concentration of fabulous restaurants anywhere!), St. Helena, Calistoga, Sonoma (town), Healdsburg and Occidental, Point Reyes Station and Marshall.

I have a Lonely Planet book called "California Trips - 68 themed itineraries, 1147 local places to see" that you might find useful.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-part-way.cfm
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

sf7307 once again.