Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Napa Valley - Carneros Inn or Milliken Creek Inn?

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My husband has a business trip in late August in San Francisco that will allow us to tack on the weekend and Labor Day to see Napa Valley. I am trying to decide between the Carneros Inn and the Milliken Creek Inn. I have found a similar price for the two (actually the Carneros Inn is just slightly cheaper), so the price isn't a huge factor. I like the idea of having a pool, so I'm leaning toward the Carneros Inn, but I have read that the Carneros Inn is in a chillier, windier part of the valley. In late August, though, is it going to be so hot that this won't be an issue anyway? Are there any other things I should be taking into consideration that favors one of the resorts over the other? Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something to consider (aside from your correct comments regarding the wind at Carneros) is that Carneros is off the beaten path--between Napa and Sonoma--no restaurants, shops or much of anything else nearby. I see that the Milliken in in the Valley--so access to those things might be a consideration. Yes, it will be hot--but that's what it takes for the grapes!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response! I like the idea of being out in the country, though I am wondering how much of a drawback this might be. We will have a rental car, so will it take us a long time to get to restaurants, shops, wineries if we are driving? In other words, is the traffic unbearable or is it just a factor to take into consideration that we can't walk or bike to much of anything?
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not that the traffic is unbearable--it's just that most folks come for the food and wine, and prefer not to have to drive after a great meal and adult beverages. BTW--the Hwy that Carneros Inn is on is patrolled quite regularly by the CA HWY patrol.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip! If we end up at the Carneros Inn I'll make sure one of us remains the DD!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at the Miliken Creek Inn a couple of years ago and it was very pleasant. The room was great, with a balcony over looking the grounds and the creek. The commom areas were great, and the staff were adequately attentive... It's not that big, surprisingly, but very adequate. We had 2 dinners at the Thomas Keller places, which were very close and easy to get to... We'll be back.

Don't know of the other place.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"BTW--the Hwy that Carneros Inn is on is patrolled quite regularly by the CA HWY patrol."

Yes it is and thank goodness because it's a very busy and dangerous highway.

However, Becca you might not know that there are two excellent restaurants at the Carneros Inn, so you really don't have to drive anywhere for dinner if you don't want to.

Milliken Creek Inn is on a busy street in Napa as well and there are DUI checkpoints often in that area especially on the long weekends. You would be only a few minutes drive from a number of excellent restaurants in Napa and about 15 minutes from Yountville.

The Carneros Inn is situated very nicely if you will be visiting both Napa and Sonoma and it has some lovely vineyard views.

I'm sure both places are wonderful (and expensive). As far as the pool goes, you would be able to use it comfortably on August afternoons but at night the air will probably be chilly.

If you would like it to be a little warmer, staying in Yountville or St. Helena might be better. Both Villagio (Yountville) and the Harvest Inn (St. Helena) have wonderful pools and are near great restaurants.