Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Napa, SF, Monterey (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/napa-sf-monterey-1035314/)

jhk3rd Jan 22nd, 2015 04:29 PM

Napa, SF, Monterey

We are planning a 40th-anniversary trip for May, spending a night or two in each of these areas. Looking for recommendations of accomodations and logistics of such a trip. Want to see a few wineries, the sights in SF and relax around Monterey/Carmel. Maybe some spa stuff for my wife and golf for me. Flying from NC and renting a car for the duration. Can spend up to $3O0-$400/night, but less wouldn't disappoint. Suggestions? We have friends in Sacramento that we could visit for an afternoon or evening, as well, if feasible.

DebitNM Jan 22nd, 2015 04:45 PM

We have stayed twice at Seven Gables in Pacific Grove, just next to Monterey. What a wonderful experience both times!!Closest B&B to the water, amazing breakfast, luxurious rooms, and lovely afternoon wine/snacks and dessert.

http://www.thesevengablesinn.com/

We love Kimpton hotels and there are several in San Francisco.
They have a wonderful free loyalty rewards which often has special deals.

https://www.kimptonhotels.com/karma-rewards/overview

The Monaco or The Palomar would be great. Excellent location and great customer service. Let them know it's your anniversary and see the magic!

StuDudley Jan 22nd, 2015 04:58 PM

>> spending a night or two in each of these areas.<<

You're kidding, I hope. And a day-trip to Sacramento too??? Plus a round of Golf???? You'll be driving in your car or on a golf course for more time than you be enjoying SF, Napa, Sacramento, and Carmel.

You don't need/want a car in San Francisco - especially for 1-2 nights which is only 1/2 to 1 1/2 days.

Stay the entire 3-4 nights in San Francisco. Don't even think about a car. We have golf courses in SF and dozens of wine bars.

Stu Dudley

janisj Jan 22nd, 2015 05:30 PM

"<i>spending a night or two in each of these areas.</i>"

You really need to flesh that out a bit more. One night in any of those places really doesn't work . . . except <i>maybe</i> Napa if you were to leave SF early in the morning and left the area the next day in the late afternoon or after dinner.

How many TOTAL days do you have?

Otherwise it really is difficult to make useful suggestions.

And is this over a weekend? Many places -- especially around Carmel and in the Napa/Sonoma valleys require two night stays on weekends.

jhk3rd Jan 22nd, 2015 07:13 PM

Thanks for replies. Thinking 7-9 nights altogether. We don't have to do Sacramento, if it's too much. I thought more than a couple of nights in Napa might get boring, but I really don't know. Definitely want to drive down the coast to Monterey area.

janisj Jan 22nd, 2015 07:31 PM

7 - 9 nights is much easier that your original 1-2 nights each.

In a week+ you could do all -- even Sacramento if you want. OR you can see if your Sacramento friends would like to visit w/ you in Napa. Depending on where exactly in the Sacramento area, it is only about an hour to 90 minute drive and MANY Sacramentans do day trips to the Napa region.

Let's work w/ 9 nights: (you can cut Sacramento if you end up w/ only 7 nights)

• fly into Sacramento and visit w/ your friends - 1 night

• Drive to Napa/Sonoma - 2 nights

• Drive down to Carmel/Monterey - 3 nights (It will take a few hours to get from Napa to Carmel so you'd want 3 nights to get 2 full days.)

• drive up to SF and drop the car - 3 nights

• fly home from SFO

Also - Instead of Napa I'd consider the Sonoma Valley - either is fine but I personally prefer more of the wineries/hotels in and around Sonoma.

NewbE Jan 22nd, 2015 07:55 PM

I like janisj's itinerary, and agree that Sonoma is a wonderful option, one I favor over Napa. Keep in mind that you could stay in, say, Healdsburg, and do a half-day jaunt to Napa, just to avoid moving again.

Underhill Jan 22nd, 2015 09:31 PM

One suggestion: instead of the Napa Valley for wineries, visit those near Monterey/Carmel instead. That would save you time so you could fit in the Sacramento trip, which is only about 2 hours each way from SF.

For your San Francisco stay I highly recommend the Inn at the Presidio, a lovely place to stay in an area made for walking--and the parking is very cheap, something like $8 per night (!).

bankbabe Jan 23rd, 2015 05:01 AM

My DH and I did this exact same trip in Sept 2014 to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We flew into SFO, drive down to Pebble Beach - stayed 3 nights there and played golf. While there we drove into Carmel for a day and down to Big Sur. Then we drove up the coast to Wine country, stayed 3 nights in Sonoma (Fairmont Mission Inn), then stayed with friends for a night in Walnut Creek, ended with 3 nights in the city at the Kimpton Hotel ( forget exact name, but it was in Union Square).

We did spend more than $300 a night in Pebble Beach, but if you want to play golf there and get a tee time guaranteed, you need to stay at the Spanish Bay Inn there or the main hotel.

We ditched the car in Walnut Creek.

Enjoy! What a great trip that was! :)