Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Napa restaurant recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/napa-restaurant-recommendations-440396/)

yale Jun 8th, 2004 12:31 PM

Napa restaurant recommendations

Please recommend your favorite restaurants in Napa and why you like them so much. We're staying in St. Helena.

rebelyeller Jun 8th, 2004 12:45 PM

I know you are looking for recommendations, but I will start by giving you a "un-recommendation" since you are staying in St Helena.
I was very disappointed with Tra Vigne. The food was very poorly prepared and lacked flavor. Everything from the appetizers to the entrees were disappointing, especially since the prices are high. One positive on Tra Vigne is the wine list.
As far as recommendations, we liked Bouchon in Yountville. It was a little loud and cramped but the food was simply prepared and delicious.
Also loved the Oakville Grocery for picnic items.
Have fun.

kimamom Jun 8th, 2004 12:50 PM

We have enjoyed Tra Vigne both times we've been. We also enjoy Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, Terra in St. Helena, and had a very nice lunch at Auberge du Soleil.

I want to try Martini House & Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen, also next time we are in the area.

Where are you staying in St. Helena? We had a very nice time at the Harvest Inn. ***kim***

razzledazzle Jun 8th, 2004 01:09 PM

Starting "Up Valley" in Calistoga-
Wappo Bistro:
Well-priced for the area,the patio is refreshing on a hot day. Do lunch and try the crepes.

In St. Helena-
Terra:Fine food and presentation,super wine list, knowledgable staff.

Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen:This is
Cindy Pawlcyns most recent venture
The food is great (try the Chinatown Duck Burger w/ shiitake mushrom ketchup)
the staff is fun and fluent in the menu
and ingredients are NorCal best-a truly fun place.

Taylor's Refresher: Will suprise you-for lunch!

Yountville-
Bouchon: Nifty seafood dishes are what I recall to be a highlight-have a tasty
raw bar appetizer.

Gordon's: Can you say Breakfast? YUM!

Napa- Downtown Napa has been having a nice come back over the past few years
Head for Pearl (a little asian-cal fusion and a delicious Moroccan lamb)
when it gets crowded in St. Helena.

Also, this topic has been discussed ad infitum here so please do a search.
Enjoy!
R5

travelisfun Jun 8th, 2004 01:15 PM

Since I'm just back from the area, I thought I'd add my comments. (You can read my trip report down the list--click on my screen name and it should come up). I LOVED Bistro Jeanty in Yountville...small, fun atmosphere, interesting food, not pretentious. Really like Mustard's in Yountville for a somewhat more casual meal--food and service were both great. Was disappointed by Don Giovanni's in Napa. Have fun!

yale Jun 8th, 2004 01:58 PM

kimamom - we're staying at the Adagio Inn.

PamSF Jun 8th, 2004 03:22 PM

Some of the suggestions posted and my thoughts;
Do check out Terra(St Helena)

I'd agree to skip Tra Vigne especially in the summer when the crowds can make even a reserved table a long wait. I used to love this place but agree the food has gone down significantly.

Our extended family often meets for lunches and early dinners at Bistro Don Giovanni. The food is consistently good and it just feels quite comfortable to us. Someone recently posted that they'd had a pretty disappointing meal there.
Count me among the Bouchon fans. It comes rather close to a Paris bistrot I think. I do like Bistro Jeanty but find the meals more suited to Fall and winter.(Both in Yountville).

I don't know when you will be there but there is a new restaurant going in where the much loved Diner used to be. It's supposed to have good locally produced food. See if anyone at your hotel knows about it. There was just an article in the SF Chronicle about it.(I think Wed June 2 Food Section).

And without a doubt...The French Laundry if you can get in, go!

Kal Jun 8th, 2004 04:00 PM

R5 and Pammer,
All we need are Marilyn and Barb and we can start another GTG! >:D<

yalie, When are you going? Fodorites have been known to flock to NV/SV at the drop of a cork! ((D))

Another hoody hoo for Martini House (it's our wedding anniv restaurant for the past 3 yrs and we haven't been disappointed yet-Great wine list and a very good sommelier) and Taylor's Refresher (our bike riding restaurant-great Ahi Bruger w/ Ginger Wasabi mayo).

R5-Ex-nay on Gordonscray! Hard enuff to get a seat in there now! ;)

And don't forget about Hurley's in Yountville.
We ate there 2 weeks ago...sat out on the patio and Mrs Kal had a great ciabatta, mozzerlla sandwich and my bleu-cheeseburger was "ono-liscious".

The side of mac and cheese makes me drool thinking about it and they have a really good calamari fritti appie! Phew. DINNER!!!!

Pacific Blues Cafe also has a good breakfast...and for an old fashioned stick to your ribs b'fast, Mrs McDonalds down by the NV Marriott behind the 76 station.

Did I hear that one of my other faves, Rutherford Grill is part of the Houston's chain? If so, coulda fooled me.:-?
Mahalo ya'll.