Notices

Napa in March?

Oct 10th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Napa in March?

I want to suprise my wife for her bday in march with a trip to Napa Valley, I have a couple of questions. How is Napa in March? Is that a good time to visit. Also, about 10 years ago, I was in san francisco and somebody gave me directions to mckerika state park. I know I spelled it wrong, but it is in northern california. I would like to take her there as well. Can somebody please spell it for me, so I can look up hotels in the area. Thank You in advance.
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:28 PM

Your wife is a fellow Pisces perhaps?
Anywho, you are seeking MacKerricher state park around Ft. Bragg above Mendocino-try this link: www.mcn.org/1/macpark/macpark.htm

Weather for Napa could be a touch rainy or unusually warm-seems we often end up at the coast for oysters and a stroll on my b'day, just remember it's layers,layers,layers for clothing here.

Any reason for Napa Valley? You could do Sonoma and then just head up the coast.
May I suggest Healdsburg area? and a look at www.wineroad.com.
Happy Hunting!
R5
Oct 10th, 2003, 04:15 PM

Dear tlindeman,
March could be mild but rainy, and perhaps the wild mustard will still be blooming in the fields. I love driving the back roads of Napa at this season because it's so green and the wildflowers (iris and poppy) are coming out. I think it's a much better time to go to the wine country than summer - if the weather is cool and rainy, a B&B with a fireplace in the bedroom is very romantic!
MacKerricher is one of the state beaches in Mendocino County. It has an interesting fresh water lake and adjacent swamp, in addition to an expansive beach. Sometimes the seals are pupping on the beach, and some areas are closed off to ensure their safety. Another beach in Mendocino County which I've always loved is Manchester State Beach, about an hour south of Mendocino town. Manchester Beach is often littered with HUGE pieces of driftwood - I mean entire logs - there's something about the powerful currents that drags long-submerged wood up onto the shore just there.
At both beaches, if it's a clear day, you could get a view northward of the King Range, also known as the Lost Coast.
FYI, I've taken numerous trips up to Mendocino in March and the weather has been sunny and mild - I'm just lucky, I guess!

Search this Thread