Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Napa for five (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/napa-for-five-470907/)

nolenee Aug 30th, 2004 07:33 AM

Napa for five

I'm traveling with four girlfriends to Napa or Sonoma for a little wine tasting fun. We're running into problems finding a hotel that doesn't cater almost exclusively to couples and has more than a cramped space for all of us to sleep comfortably. We're hoping to pay about $200/night in late October. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Suzie Aug 30th, 2004 07:44 AM

We had the same problem for 4 sisters. We stayed at the Lodge at Sonoma in a cottage room. It had 2 Q and a nice living room area. It was one of only 2 one story buildings and was just outside the pool area. There are rows of cottages but most are 2 story buildings. I don't know if they can accomodate a 5th person but you should call and ask about it. We had room service each morning and service was very good. Nice place.

kimamom Aug 30th, 2004 09:17 AM

Try Indina Springs Resort, they are a little over $200/night, tho. The bungalows have a small living room, kitchen, etc. kind of like small apartment but very quaint. The sofas in the living room may open out into beds. www.indianspringscalistoga.com

The Olympic size mineral water pool is so nice. It is open until midnight for resort guests, which I really like. ***kim*** :)

travelisfun Aug 30th, 2004 10:45 AM

We also stayed at the Lodge at Sonoma in a cottage room with four people. Very spacious and nice--2 queens and a living area with a couch. If worse came to worse, the 5th person could sleep on the couch! The bathroom was a nice size, too. The pool area there is nice, as is the spa--we really enjoyed our stay. It might be a little more than $200, but well worth it IMO.

kimamom Aug 31st, 2004 09:27 AM

The Lodge is in a residential area, which I find a turn-off. If you want to be directly on the Plaza, check out the BW Sonoma property. We stayed there and it was very nice and moderately priced. They may still be in the Entertainment where you will receive 50% off of your room, mid-week.

There is a pool, jacuzzi, comp breakfast and the rooms were nice and large, we had the fireplace suite which opened right to the pool area.

Maybe with the discount rate, you could book two rooms so you aren't so cramped for space. Enjoy the area! ***kim***

michaelcrane Aug 31st, 2004 11:21 AM

I stayed at a great B&B in Calistoga called the Scott Courtyard, now renamed the Chelsea Garden Inn. We were with a few unrelated folks and it worked out great--they have a cottage with two twin beds and a queen also. Rates were very reasonable with a great pool.

Suzie Sep 1st, 2004 11:33 AM

The Lodge at Sonoma is on Broadway which is a straight shot to the Sonoma Square. It's also right off Napa Road so there is really easy access to both the Sonoma and Napa area wineries. When we stayed there it did not seem like a residential area as much as a main road area. You can see the cottage room we stayed in (http://marriott.com/property/propert...shaCode=SFOLS0) by following the straight line of umberellas to the one story cottage right outside the pool area. I hope you find a place for the five of you. It's not easy.

TravelDiva Sep 2nd, 2004 07:57 AM

For the money, I think a cottage will be your best bet.

What I wanted to really recommend to you is the Swanson Vineyards tasting - which was one of my favorite experiences when my boyfriend and I were in Napa a couple years ago. You have to make an appointment in advance and there's a fee, but it is a seated tasting that's limited to 10 people at a time.

You're graciously welcomed into what feels like a castle that is someone's home. You're seated to a pre-set round table and are offered nibbles to accompany the wines as the host tells you about them. The Alexis bon bons (made exclusively for the winery by haute chocolatier Vosges) are to die for. If I were traveling w/my girlfriends, I'd definitely take them to this spot!