Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Napa 1-day Itinerary - please advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/napa-1-day-itinerary-please-advise-724133/)

tpdevine Jul 26th, 2007 07:12 PM

Napa 1-day Itinerary - please advise

We were in wine country for two days about seven years ago and saw Mondavi, V. Sattui, and Sterling then Benziger, Ravenswood, Buena Vista, and Chateau St. Jean. We really liked the Ravenswood tour/tasting - the guide, atmosphere, attitude, and wine straight from the barrel, good red wine. This time around, we have only one day in Napa. After reading a lot of the threads, this is what we're thinking:

Frog's Leap
picnic at V. Sattui
Clos Pegase (tour at 2:00)
Peju Province

We are open to suggestions - especially other places to get food and to picnic. Sunshine Foods - location? Dean & Deluca? Is this doable in one day? Are these good places? Could we add more places? We will be doing this trip from San Fran on a Monday and are most interested in fun, friendly, informative wineries with good reds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TrvlMaven Jul 26th, 2007 07:22 PM

Are you truly tied to seeing Napa or tasting some fine wines? Sonoma is much closer, less crowded. Gloria Ferrar sparkling wine cellars, pick up lunch at the Plaza, head up to Kunde or Wellington.

tpdevine Jul 27th, 2007 05:11 AM

Thanks! We're not tied to Napa although I know a lot less about Sonoma and would need more help in planning. Is a sparkling wine place worth a visit if we are mostly red wine drinkers?

elnap29 Jul 27th, 2007 06:29 PM

With only 1 day, Napa Valley is a good choice because there are many places in a smaller area.
V Sattui has always been a popular picnic spot, although parking can be tight and the tables can be crowded. I don't really care for their wines, though.
Dean and DeLucca is right across the street from Sattui; Sunshine Foods is not far - just inside St Helena on the left side of the highway at Spring St.
You could also pick up provisions at Oakville Grocery in Oakville (the town before Rutherford) or at Model Bakery in St Helena.
Peju is one of my favorite wineries. I love their red wines, esp. cab sav and zinfandel. The staff is informative and fun. Ask for the yodelmeister if you want a unique, zany experience! They do allow you to bring your picnic food if you like. They usually have some tables set up on the lawn or you could spread a blanket out near the koi pond. Be sure to see the beautiful new tasting room tower.
Another nice picnic spot is at Rutherford Hill winery off Silverado Trail.
Also you might enjoy having lunch at Taylors Refresher in St Helena. It is an old-time drive-in restaurant with more upscale-quality food. You sit at picnic tables on the grass under the trees. Their fish tacos are very popular, as are their milkshakes and salads, ahi burgers, and more. Wines by the glass, too.

tpdevine Jul 28th, 2007 08:13 PM

Thanks for those suggestions. If we skip V. Sattui, we might have time for more stops. Any thoughts on Vincent Arroyo or Joseph Phelps? Any suggestions on wineries with barrel tasting? Thanks again.

tpdevine Jul 30th, 2007 05:45 AM

Also, any thoughts on Frank Family or Sawyer? Thanks!

LLindaC Jul 30th, 2007 05:56 AM

If you love reds, go to William Harrison, Zahtila, Arroyo and Rombauer.

tpdevine Aug 1st, 2007 07:07 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We're leaving tomorrow and this is what I've got for Napa:

Frog's Leap
Peju Province
food from one of the places elnap29 suggested and picnic at Clos Pegase?
Clos Pegase (2:00 tour)
Vincent Arroyo

Could we do more? Should we do more? Thanks again for any help you can give.