Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nantucket Trip Report (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nantucket-trip-report-420289/)

emcash Aug 27th, 2008 04:57 AM

Nantucket Trip Report

DH, DD and I recently spent some time in Nantucket and I have to say, again, that Nantucket is one of my favorite places on earth. We had a wonderful stay at the Cliffside Beach Club- it is, IMO, too expensive for the quality room you get, BUT it is right on the beach, and the resort is beautiful and it is only a 15 minute walk from town. You really can't beat that.

As often, our vacations focus on meals and Nantucket, for the most part, didn't disappoint. We had wonderful meals at Galley beach (both lunch and dinner) and the Pearl. Lola 41, a favorite from last year, was good, not great- although our server was excellent. Although our pasta at Sfoglia was delicious, we didn't enjoy our experience there. the bartender was snotty and poured such a small glass of wine, it was insulting. At $18 a glass, a person should get a normal poured glass of wine, not half a glass. It started the evening for us on the wrong foot. We didn't like the set up of the restaurant either- our table on the other side of the bar made us feel like we were eating in the bar, despite reservations made weeks earlier.

We had great lunches-- a wonderful turkey with all the thanksgiving fixings sandwhich from Provisions, hearty sandwiches at the Brotherhood, a sumptuous and lavish lunch at the Wauwinnet and lunch twice at the Galley (it's right next to the Cliffside, so very convenient).

Town was busy but not crazily so-- I think people indeed were beginning to make their treck home. It was a wonderfully relaxing, delicious vacation- I can't wait to go back next year!

MarieF Aug 27th, 2008 07:24 AM

Nice report! I've been fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time this summer in Nantucket and I enjoy hearing about other people's impressions and experiences. Thanks for your info on Sfoglia (never been there and now am not inclined to go with so many other great restaurants). Next time, check out 56 Union for dinner. We had a wonderful dinner there - their Javanese spicy rice was excellent. If you like the Pearl, you will also like the Boarding House (their sister restaurant). Also, the lunch by the pool at the Summer House was good - expensive, but you can't beat the view of the beach. When was your visit? We noticed that June/July were less crowded in town, but August was really busy!

emcash Aug 27th, 2008 09:25 AM

Thanks marie- we were there last week. It was definitely more crowded than when we went last summer in July, but still not top bad. I think people were starting to wind down their summer.

I've never heard of 56 Union- I will have to try that next summer. We did have lunch at the summer house last year- unfortunately it was a very foggy day, but i can see if being incredible.

Ackislander Aug 27th, 2008 10:23 AM

As expected, we are having absolutely fabulous weather and have been having it for the last ten days.

The outmigration began last week.

MarieF Aug 27th, 2008 10:37 AM

Emcash, we were there last week too and the weather was incredible! 56 Union is on Union Street (hence the name) just outside of town. If you like the Pearl and Lola, I think you will enjoy dining there. It's also not as pricey as the Pearl and has a good wine list.

elsiemoo Aug 27th, 2008 12:43 PM

Thanks for your report, emcash. Only been to Nantucket once, and LOVED it, looking forward to returning!

escargot Aug 27th, 2008 01:35 PM

our vacation in July also focused on meals in Nantucket - but I am running behind on about three trip reports, you are soooo good !

We also love Galley - and enjoyed July 4th there - can't be that for a first rate seat for the fireworks either !
We didn't hit LOLA this time, but did enjoy Summer House, one of those lavish ridiculous Wauwinet lunches, Cinqo for tapas, Cioppino's and YES that thanksgiving sandwich at Provisions !! How good is that, huh !! :)

escargot Aug 27th, 2008 01:35 PM

meant "can't beat that...."

:)

mclaurie Aug 27th, 2008 01:57 PM

East Hampton and Nantucket in the same summer. You must be doing something right. I'm envious. Haven't been to Nantucket in too long.

gyppielou Aug 27th, 2008 02:13 PM

Great report. Thanks emcash!

It gives me travel regret.

I was so looking forward to inviting Ackislander over to the woof cottages for wine and cheese and talk story.....alas my september plans have changed and I am heading to Bermuda. Miracle Max the Viszla is not happy about this. But two expensive islands in one perfect month is too much to hope for.

I loved Lola41 last year, soobbb. It just isn't fair that I can't do both! Poor poor pitiful me.....she giggles

emcash Aug 27th, 2008 05:48 PM

No you really can't beat that escargot, i can only imagine how incredible those fireworks looked from teh galley. That's why I love cliffside beach club so much, it is just a perfect setting. And that Thanksgiving sandwich-- OMG, I still dream about it!

maclaurie- i know, i am very fortunate to have been able to do so much travelling this summer. It won't be repeated in the future- this summer was sort of a fluke in that department.

gyppielou Aug 27th, 2008 05:50 PM

gosh, don't call it a fluke, call it an inspiration of things that could happen!!!!