Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nantucket restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nantucket-restaurants-546182/)

HankR Jul 22nd, 2005 02:24 PM

Nantucket restaurants

We're going to Nantucket next week. We have reservations at 21 Federal and the Boarding House. Is anyone aware of any new or interesting places worth trying?

caniac Jul 22nd, 2005 04:31 PM

My wife and I went to Nantucket a couple of years ago. Our favorite restaurant was Company of the Cauldron. They serve a fixed menu each night. You get a salad or soup, entree, and desert for a fixed price. They have two seatings per night. Check out their weekly menu to see if they are serving something that both of you will like. http://www.companyofthecauldron.com/

We also liked Oran Mor, Club Car, and Black Eyed Susans.

flsd Apr 21st, 2006 01:16 PM

I'm bumping this thread after returning today from ACK.

Eat at Brotherhood of Thieves. We heard the restaurant had come under new mgmt and had expanded since last year. The food was creative and delicious; good service; nice atmosphere.

nina Apr 21st, 2006 01:36 PM

Huh? You mean the Brotherhood is no longer burgers/fried fish/sandwiches/chowder and curly fries? Some places shouldn't change.

We love the Brotherhood as a great place to take the kids, but don't tell me they've changed their menu, it was bad enough when they had to remodel after the fire.

Hank, my favorite is The Summer House in 'Sconset (worth the trip and oh what a setting) and American Seasons in town.

nina Apr 21st, 2006 01:48 PM

Also Hank, restaurants can vary greatly from summer to summer, the chefs tend to change a lot, so my information is from last summer, although I will say that American Seasons has been excellent since it opened about 10 years ago, the chef owns it and the food is yummy.

The Summer House had an outstanding chef last year.

I'd pick either of those 2 hands down over 21 Federal or the Boarding House.

ariela111 Apr 22nd, 2006 03:06 PM

I think the Boarding House is overpriced and the service is horrendous/snobby.
American Seasons is always excellent. The Pearl is also a good option if you're looking for more of a "swanky" New York feel. Another wonderful hidden gem is Sflogia. Brant Point Grill is my personal favorite.

flsd Apr 22nd, 2006 03:46 PM

Brotherhood still has the curly fries and the old favorites, but my understanding is that the big change is that they added an upstairs dining room. We ate downstairs. It was a little too dark, but still offers great sandwiches and dinner choices.

Ackislander Apr 23rd, 2006 07:18 AM

I am assuming you are coming for Daffodil weekend. it is good that you have reservations because if you don't, you will have to eat very early or very late.

Company of the Cauldron will be open for the weekend, then is closing until the middle of May. I can't recommend it strongly enough: great food, great atmosphere. We ate at American Seasons last weekend, and it was still right at the top. I think the Pearl is pretentious, but love 21 Federal.

The Brotherhood was AWFUL when it first reopened last year, really awful. The fish taco, for example, had no relation to a real fish taco but was a fried fish wrap, which would have been okay if it had tasted good. There are still some bad things on the menu, but things are improving. The fries and burgers are still tops as are some of the salads, and the mini pazzas look delicious. The great thing is that the downstairs is virtuaally unchanged. They have added a bar, but it will be perfectly familiar to everyone who remembers the way it was. Prices have gone up, but they had to. The former owner kept prices at the same level for years, fabulous for customers, but he supposedly did it by not paying his payroll taxes and rent!

I had a really nice lunch outside last summer at the JC House; it was pretty ordinary this winter in the Taproom, byut the outdoor meal was fresh and delicious, and the service, by young European staff, was impeccable, not something you are certain to find here. Too early to eat outside, but if you come back . . . .

HenryR Apr 23rd, 2006 09:33 AM

FYI, this was my post from last year. I changed my screen name. But thanks. I'll use your recommendations for this year's trip.

halsar May 1st, 2006 06:20 AM

Just came back from Daff Weekend.After antique parade we Ate at Brotherhood-nothing special wouldn't go back. We went downstairs and way too dark. Upstairs was nice but was surrounded by people "talking" business. Is it just me...I hate this. It sounds like people are just so full of themselves. I do not want to hear about this stuff sunday afternoon while having brunch. We stayed at the Anchor inn. It was nice, but breakfast was continental and shower was small. Cleaning lady, lived upstairs and everytime she walked across floor it would squeek. Toilet flushed real hard and broom could only accomidate one at a time. Everything else great though. I will try somewhere else next time.

nina May 1st, 2006 06:54 AM

"Upstairs was nice but was surrounded by people "talking" business. Is it just me...I hate this. It sounds like people are just so full of themselves"

No, I hate it too. We are (were) regular visitors to ACK, every summer for 19 years, but last year kind of soured us, I see a definite change in the crowd visiting there. Much more pretentious and obnoxious.

I know the change has been gradual over the years, but last year it really hit us so we're taking a break, we're skipping it this year. I still think Nantucket is the most beautiful spot in the US, but what's the saying? "It used to be nice in Nantucket", has never seemed more pronounced.

flsd May 1st, 2006 07:00 AM

>>>>>>>>>>"Upst airs was nice but was surrounded by people "talking" business. Is it just me...I hate this. It sounds like people are just so full of themselves"

That's what we encountered at the Tap Room (Jared Coffin House) on our first visit to ACK, although not at Brotherhood on our most recent trip (there were three guys next to us, sharing family stories and being really sensitive 90s kind of guys, though). One place we liked as being totally unpretentious was Rose and Crown. Good fish and chips.

ceb1222 May 3rd, 2006 09:09 PM

Ariela - curious to know when you last ate at the Boarding House? I was there last summer and thought the food was incredible. Also, the Boarding House and the Pearl are sister restaurants, with the same owners. Hope this doesn't sound like a challenge - I am just curious. :)

I totally agree with you on Sfoglia. It's so tiny, but the food was excellent.

deena May 15th, 2006 01:49 PM

We just came back from Nantucket yesterday and out favorite upscale places we ate at were Arno's on Main and Black Eyed Susans. Both were excellent. American Seasons and the Centre Street Bistro were also recommended by the locals.