Notices

nantucket for 3 days with tweens

Aug 5th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

nantucket for 3 days with tweens

hi--staying at the chestnut house for 3 days in August --no car. I am told it is centrally located. We have bikes but because we are going to boston first, we don't want to take out bikes. Also we are going to wellfleet after and we never use our bikes there either.
anyway, I am wondering, should we rent bikes while we are in nantucket for the whole 3 days, which costs $250, or should we use buses, taxis, and just get the bikes for a day or sporadically here and there?
thanks!
Rosemary
Aug 5th, 2012, 07:32 PM

The Chestnut House is right in town.. you can walk to restaurants, nearby sites, and shops. You wont need a taxi or bus in town, its not that large.

there is bus that runs in season, and its equipped with bike racks..so if you do rent a bike you do have the option of using the bus as well.

If you don't think you will bike each day, you may just want to rent for a day or two. If it rains you may not want to be biking. There are a lot of bike paths and they are separate from the traffic.

information about transportation on the island can be found on: http://www.nantucketchamber.org
Aug 6th, 2012, 01:06 AM

Read my Nantucket notes to you on your other thread. It covers the points you are asking: food, transportation, what to do with kids.
Aug 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM

You may already be on Nantucket but in any case, I was on the island 2 weeks ago and used the bus. I must say it was very pleasant. First thing to remember is in season they have a shuttle to take you to the beaches, Jetties & Surfside with the last pick up BEFORE 6:00pm. You can pick up this bus right by the whaling Museum. The other bus you can take out to Sconset, which is a quaint little town with lovely old cottages and a nice beach (not for swimming). They have a market where you can buy coffe, sandwiches, homemade ice cream along with other things like post cards,etc. You can always take your bikes with you on the bus and maybe bike ride to Sanktaty light house. (spelling may be off) Your best bet is to stop into the information office when you arrive and they can answer all your questions and give you a handy map. Also, buy the day pass for the bus,it only cost $7.00 dollars, I think, memory is bad. Point is the day pass is well worth it.
I found the buses to be very easy to use and everyone is willing to help you with any question. Be sure to have lots of dollars for the bus since the bus driver does NOT make change!

Search this Thread