Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Nantucket: car ferry or rental car (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nantucket-car-ferry-or-rental-car-773397/)

taconictraveler Mar 16th, 2009 10:00 AM

Nantucket: car ferry or rental car

We are invited to spend a week on Nantucket at end of July. We still have time to get car ferry tickets, (at $300, I think) or is it less expensive to rent a car there from July 27 to August 3? and does anyone know a reliable car rental on the island?

Ackislander Mar 16th, 2009 12:51 PM

If you have been invited, will your hosts be there while you are? If they are, you won't need a car. They can drive you or let you use theirs.

If they aren't there, you may or may not need a car. If they live in town, you may be able to walk or take the bus to everything that matters.

Taking a car will cost you $360 round trip plus your passenger fares. If you can get a reservation. Nail down the dates and RESERVE SOON.

Google Nantucket Car Rental and pick any of those listed, national or local. If you can rent a car of the same size for less than $360 a week plus tax, go for it.

We live there and have never had a bad time when we have rented cars for guest overflows, and we haven't heard anyone complaining. Just make sure the one you use will meet you at the ferry or airport with the car.

Have a wonderful trip!

taconictraveler Mar 16th, 2009 01:15 PM

Thanks, Ackislander, I'm waiting to hear from a couple of Nantucket car rental agencies, but DH says that when he checked the internet, it looked like about $100 a day at that time of year.
Our friends are coming with their Antiques loaded truck for the Antiques Show that is held at that time - so we definitely need a car.
Sounds like the cost of bringing a car has gone up, as my friend thought it would be $300 and you say $360 plus passenger.
I used to work on Nantucket summers when I was in college, but that was many moons ago, and I haven't even been out there for about 7 or 8 years, so it will be fun to catch up.
I'm going to reserve a car ferry, I gather it can be cancelled without penalty if it's cancelled at least two weeks in advance, do you know if that is true?

emalloy Mar 16th, 2009 01:46 PM

Islanders can sometimes get better rates and better connections for car ferries. Ask them if they can work something for you. Sometimes you can leave the car and they will ferry it over during the night before and you can taxi to the ferry and pick it up when you get there.

Ackislander Mar 17th, 2009 08:34 AM

Prices are seasonal. It is actually $380 round trip for a standard automobile less than 17 feet long and not overheight, in otherwords bike racks may cost you more if they make your car more than 17 feet or over 6'6" high.

If you want to be there and can't get your car on or off the day you want to go or return, the Steamship will drive it on and off for you at about $20 each way, and you can come over as a passenger and pick it up later.

Islanders do get a huge break in price on excursions, short trips that originate on and return to the island. But if I buy a new car in Hyannis and bring it home, it costs me the same as it does you.

Islander residents and property owners also get priority if not price breaks on making early reservations, but this period may have passed. I ordered and got mine for my kids back in January.

taconictraveler Mar 17th, 2009 12:32 PM

Thank you both, I think I'll go ahead and get the car ferry res. while I can. It looks like car rental, even with a discount for a week will be at least $450, PLUS taxes and "fees."
So we'll take our smaller Honda, which will cost $380.
I'm told you can cancel if it is at least two weeks out, on the ferry reservations.
Looking forward to seeing the island again. Many happy memories as a student waitress there!!