Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Na Pali: Best type of boat to decrease seasickness? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/na-pali-best-type-of-boat-to-decrease-seasickness-703562/)

tropicaltraveler May 8th, 2007 12:47 PM

Na Pali: Best type of boat to decrease seasickness?

Sorry to ask a related question, but I'm curious. I read that Cap't Liko's has a powercat, the others have regular cats, and some companies are more likely to sail than others. To prevent seasickness (I was fine on a catamaran cruise in Maui, but I've heard this is WAY rougher), is it better to go with the companies that do very little sailing or those that make a point to say 'we really sail'? Is Cap't Liko's powercat better for this than the regular catamarans the other companies have? And lastly, I'm very wary of taking a raft, but are the inflatables better or worse for seasickness? Sorry to ask so many questions about Na Pali snorkel cruises, but this was the highlight of my vacation in Maui after doing a ton of research to choose the best company, and I want to make sure I make the right decision here too.

hulajake May 8th, 2007 02:28 PM

We have gone on Liko's and were quite happy with our experience. I've seen many remedies suggested for seasickness with one seeming to be quite inexpensive and easy to do that being hard ginger candy some have said either way but the hard had more supporters. As far as being rough sailing it seems to have more to do with what season and time of day.

karens May 8th, 2007 03:00 PM

I THINK, but please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, that the sail/no sail has more to do with the weather.

On our trip, we were supposed to go snorkeling, but they said it was too windy/rough. I think this is a common occurance and has more to do with the conditions than the tour operator.

Kealalani May 8th, 2007 03:16 PM

As with all onwater excursions in Hawaii, I advice people to check carefully the cancellation policy. That way you can look at the surf forecast 48 hours in advance and decide if you are prone to seasickness.

starrsville May 8th, 2007 05:12 PM

My experiences with snorkel cruises have been the same as karens. I've had the captain call to let us know condtions would be rough and to give us the option to take the excursion on another day. My experiences are not Na Pali specific, but on snorkel cruises in a wide variety of locations. BTW Captain Heinz' cure for motion sickness on his cat to Buck Island off St. Croix was to have the victim sniff a cotton ball soaked in alcohol. It worked for everyone feeling queasy.

beanweb24 May 8th, 2007 05:22 PM

Just returned from Kauai and did a no-sail catamaran trip with NaPali Catamaran. Trip was the highlight of my visit. Water was rough, and 3 of the 16 passengers (that's all the boat holds) were ill. I took dramamine the night before, again 1 hour before the trip, and wore pressure wrist bands - not sick at all.