Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

N.Y. Helmsley Hotel--what's the neighborhood like?

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 08:59 AM
Mary

My friends (4 women) and I have reservations at the NY Helmsley (212 E. 42nd St, between 2nd and 3rd Aves.) for a weekend in Oct. I can't find much info on that specific area, other than that it's between Grand Central Station and the U.N. Is it safe? boring? deserted on weekends? Near any good restaurants/bars? Also, what is the hotel itself like? Thanks!

Mary

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:08 AM
livebyjfk

Hi Mary:
Welcome to NYC. To answer the questions you ask...yes! definitely not!! absolutely!! and wonderful. Actually, you are in a terrific area for getting around. Dont forget to check out Grand Central Terminal. The renovations have made it a place to check out. You will have to take a crosstown bus or the shuttle train to Times Square. It is long 8 block walk. But there is so much to see just along 42nd Street so if it nice outside take a stroll. Have a great time!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 10:14 AM
tweedy

Mary, that hotel is well located and it is a easy to get around from there. The nearest train is at Grand Central Station for the 4,5,6 trains to head uptown or downtown on the east side and the shuttle to the westside.

The #104 bus and the #42 both go right past your hotel and stop on 2nd Ave. You can catch the 104 in the Theatre district for a ride back to your hotel.

On 2nd Ave a bit north is the Palms restaurant and down on 3rd Ave is one of my favs for seafood Docks, at 40th St. There are several other good restaurants on 3rd heading south. There are also a couple of deli's and bagel and of course the required (lol)Starbucks. (seems to be as many now as McDonalds)

There is a bit of shopping in the area too, there's a Forman's, Ann Taylor Loft and a few more on 42nd St. If you want any more personal favs you can email [email protected]

Hope you have a great time.

tweedy

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 11:02 AM
howard

While not totally deserted, the area is not that lively at night or on weekends.
And, while it not a prime NYC area for restaurants, there are some, as the previous post has said.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Mary

To all,

I very much appreciate your helpful responses, and additionally to Tweedy for pointing out your favorites.

Mary