Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Myrtle Beach in Winter (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/myrtle-beach-in-winter-154535/)

marge Jan 9th, 2003 01:31 PM

Myrtle Beach in Winter

We are contemplating trying a trip to MB late in February and staying at one of the resorts, i.e., Kingston Planation. What can we expect weatherwise and will anything be open??

D. Lyles Jan 9th, 2003 03:16 PM

We have a time share in Myrtle Beach. Weather in February should be as in November, (50's > 60's). Everything is always open year round. Vist Broadway at the Beach in South Myrtle Beach ( Lots of shoppin, Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood and Shows (such as Lord of the Dance) at the Palace. In North Myrtle Beach there is more shopping, the Alabama Theater (Owed by the Group, Alabama and they appear there often), The best House of Blues anywhere, (restuarant and weekly shows, small showroom with bar type seating gives you great seats throughout). Try the Captains House in south Myrtle Beach on Ocean Blvd. for the best Seafood. of course if you want buffet style, there are probably 30 Seafood Calabash restuarants everywhere. the aquarium at Broadway at the Beach is great. And then of course there are the walks along the endless Grand Strand Beach. endless

Local Jan 9th, 2003 05:29 PM

Marge - the weather in February is anyone's guess. It could be 80 degrees and it could be 55 degrees. The average for Feb is around 63 degrees. Keep watching the weather channel.<BR><BR>Kingston has an indoor pool and the Sport and Health Club.

Sue Jan 9th, 2003 08:44 PM

February and March are a great time to go to MB due to it being off-season. There are so many things to do and just walking on the beach (anytime of year!) is soothing and calming. Won't be able to swim though (I'm sure you know that!). I'm sure you will have a great time. The weather can be unpredictable but you will still have places to go if the weather is rainy and cold. Enjoy!

Carol Jan 9th, 2003 09:16 PM

February is definitely not generally a WARM month (but there can be warm days!) in MB. But, most days can be spent golfing, shopping, enjoying restaurants, walking the beach, etc. without too many others around.<BR><BR>No one has mentioned the shopping outlets... My fave is the Carolina Pottery Outlets(?) place out on the highway that goes to Conroy. (The place used to be called Waccamaw Pottery). Right in the middle of MB take Hwy. 501 towards Conroy. Lots of different things and fun to spend a few hours. Also, QVC has their outlet store there. <BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip! <BR><BR>

danna Jan 10th, 2003 04:43 AM

Local:<BR><BR>Are you sure about that 63degree avg. thing?

danna Jan 10th, 2003 04:47 AM

Local:<BR><BR>Mea culpa. Checked weather.com and they give 61 degree avg HI for Feb! I had no idea. We have 55 avg in Greenville, I always assumed the temps were about the same. Thanks.

Local Jan 10th, 2003 05:32 AM

Danna, remember the water temp and low elevation keep our air temps much warmer than upstate.