Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Myrtle Beach Fodors GTG November 18th Huntington Beach State Park

Jul 12th, 2006, 09:31 AM
GoTravel

The Myrtle Beach Fodors GTG November 18th Huntington Beach State Park new thread. Here is a link to Budman's whining and the old thread.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...&searchText=MB

icee, Atalya is the former home of Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington that owned Brookgreen.

www.Brookgreen.org

Jul 12th, 2006, 09:33 AM
GoTravel

BTW, we need to pick a time for the GTG. I think the park closes by 5PM in November.

Jul 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Cool, thanks GoTravel.

Did we decide for sure on Saturday (11/18) versus Sunday (11/19). Either is fine for me, but perhaps those traveling in might have a preference.

Maybe we could start around lunchtime?

Also, Atalaya is useful in one other respect. You can tell a true local by how she or he pronounces it: AtaLAYa or AtaLIEa. The latter is the correct spanish pronounciation (atalaya = watchtower I think). However, true locals pronounce it AtaLAYa.

Reminds me of a neighborhood in our old hometown of Winston-Salem NC, Buena Vista (spanish for beautiful view I think). The locals pronounced it Byoona Vista, never having heard Bwayna Veesta I guess.

What were we talking about again?
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
iceeu2

Saturday or Sunday either is good for us. Whatever time you all set is when we will be there.

And y'all thought I was hard to get along with!! HA

Jul 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM
GoTravel

AtaLAYa.

Since that is Thanksgiving Week, I wonder if everyone will be traveling Sunday? Y'all decide but I need to reserve the picnic shelter.

I think noon is a great time to start eating oysters and drinking beer

Jul 13th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Whining or wining? Aw Shucks.

How about Saturday and use Sunday as a rain date? We could meet up at Liberty on Friday evening for a few brews, some apps, and to firm up plans?

Noon is a great time to start eating & drinking. Anything else on the menu? I'll bring down a couple of rings of some great Polish kielbasa here in central Jersey.
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:55 AM

I like Budman's idea. Oyster Roast Saturday at noon. Finalize plan at Liberty Friday evening--just to be thorough of course.

Okay, Fodorites, who else is in?
Jul 13th, 2006, 06:55 AM
GoTravel

Budman, you are NOT allowed to bastardize my oysters with your polish weenies!

I am a purist you know.

Instead, what about Frogmore Stew? Old Bay Seasoning, corn on the cob, new potatoes, shrimp, and sausage?

Or I could just be nice and let you cook sausages.

Nah, I'll never forgive you for not ordering me that beer.

Jul 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM
GoTravel

From www.BCGov.net

Frogmore Stew Recipe:

Here is a Frogmore Stew recipe, based on the South Carolina Wildlife Cookbook version, which serves 30 people.

INGREDIENTS:

10 pounds smoked beef sausage in long links
2 dozen ears shucked, cleaned corn
1/2 bushel crabs
15 pounds shrimp, headed
2 small boxes of seafood seasoning (which brand is best has been a matter of friendly controversy)

INSTRUCTIONS:

Use a big, 20-gallon pot filled to about half full with water. The best thing is to clean the crabs before you put them in the pot. You can use the whole crab, too, but it takes up more room in the pot and is messier to eat.
Cut sausages in one-inch sections. Bring water to a boil put sausage and seasoning bags in water and let boil for about 10 minutes or so.
Put the corn in and bring back to a boil. Then put the crabs in and bring back to a boil. Finally, add the shrimp, and when the water comes back to a boil, pour off water. Serves 30 people.

Jul 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Saturday is better than Sunday, but either will work. Polish kielbasa---yumm! Let Budman bring the kiebasa.

We can't be there on Friday evening for drinks and planning, but let us know what to bring on Saturday.

For those who love early morning photo shooting, Atalaya is great with the morning light streaming in the windows and casting long shadows.
Kathy
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Oh, I'm definitely bringing the kielbasa. You don't need to shuck it. There's a lot of shucking going on out there. It's great heated up on a charcoal grill then sliced into bite-sized pieces and dipped in a nice spicy mustard. Makes for a great app. I can smell the garlic now.

The frog stew sounds good too. How many people you cooking for? There should be 4 of us, maybe 5.
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM

How far is Huntington Beach State Park from Myrtle Beach? I'd like to try to join you. I'd love some real kielbasa. It's tough to get down here.
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:31 AM

about 20 minutes
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Is it the state park across from Brookgreen Gardens?
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:40 AM

yep
Jul 13th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Yes.
Jul 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM
iceeu2

So, if it's 20 mins from Myrtle, does that mean I need to allow 45 minutes from the Beach Shack?

Hey, GoT....do y'all not put potatoes in your Frogmore Stew?

Now, y'all don't do so much planning on Friday night that you are not able to cook and shuck on Saturday ok? We can't make it on Friday, but will be there Saturday, God willing.

If anyone wants to continue the GTG, we will likely be there all week and cooking up some mighty good grub for Thanksgiving. Well, turkey and dressing, at least.

So far:
GoT and Mr.
BD and Mrs.
BM and his muchmobettahhalf
starrsville & an other?
IC and the real IC
kath & others
jnine & others
OWJ & OWJ2

That's a great turnout so far, isn't it? There was someone that wanted to come last year and was in San Francisco. Anyone remember who that was?

There's a Party Goin On!!!!!!!!

Jul 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM

mapquest using your address i2. I was at the edge of NMB and I don't think it took me more than 20 minutes to get to Murrells Inlet. I took the back way around the traffic. Was there in a flash.

Don't know if anyone will be with me. It will depend on AirTran tix from Atlanta. I'll already be down there "working" and will just stay over the weekend.

That makes me think. If anyone wants to catch a cheap AirTran tix, I can shuttle using my van. I'm staying at either the HIX or Hampton nearby. (Have res at both)
Jul 14th, 2006, 06:10 AM

this is sounding great!

let's remember to top this thread once a month until we get closer to the party--I mean cookout ;-)
Aug 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM
iceeu2

topping

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO