Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My trip to Washington, DC - any more feedback?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have finally settled on our hotel and proposed itinerary. I just would like some feedback to make sure we aren't fooling ourselves. My friend's leg isn't doing great so mobility will be a challenge. Doctor told him today to stay off it...Trip is in 3 weeks so hopefully it improves. He wants us to plan the itinerary without him and he will manage. Probably will sit out some of these.

Here is my 2nd thread on it. http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ons-remain.cfm

Sunday June 21
Amtrak from Windsor, CT to DC (scheduled arrival 1:25 pm)
Check into Days Inn Conn Ave (got a great rate on Priceline)
Visit Arlington Cemetery

Monday
US Capital
Holocaust Museum
Washington Monument
White House (Visitors Center)
DC Night Tour

Tuesday
Washington Zoo
Plus makeup from Monday
Red Sox @ Nationals game

Wednesday ( I know this will be tight and lots of planes but I work on Jet Engines so I have to try)
Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.
Museum of American History. May try to get into NH museum for highlights but not a must-do.

Thursday
Udver hazy Space Center (will take cabs each way - Any other way to get there without a car or much walking?)
Portrait Gallery
Sox @ Nats game? Are there are any good Red Sox bars as an alternative?

Friday
National Archives
Amtrak home
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM

Udvar Hazy is a real haul from downtown. 40 minutes one way in a cab (no public transport) and that is without traffic. Given the limited duration of your visit - I would focus my attention in the District.

Monday is a very full day. In particular - one could easily spend 4 hours in the Holecaust museum. Also - is it still the case that it is necessary to get advance tickets to the Holecaust museum - I would check that out.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Just got the advances tickets for the Holocaust Museum - 2:30 in the afternoon. Washington Monument is just going to be a walkby as its sold out for the whole time that we are there.

It will be tough to leave out Udvar Hazy as the F-35 is there and that is the plane that I work on. Can you take the subway to Dulles and cab it from there?
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

And I just got outvoted on Udvar Hazy so we will be sticking to the mall for logistics sake. I think we will come back later this year and hit Udvar Hazy plus other missed sites...Will make sure to have a car for obvious reasons.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:21 AM

your friend might want to sit out the zoo of all the choices, its very hilly!
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 11:58 AM

I just got outvoted on Udvar Hazy

good thing - because it's about a $60-70 cab ride each way.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

That is 1 that he will skip. Probably come with us to see the Pandas then we will leave him to hop around the zoo at his own pace...He made it around the Bronx Zoo fine with us. Obviously not as hilly. He will just take it at his own pace.

Did manage to get Wash. Monument tickets for Thursday after the Portrait Gallery. It definitely made sense to drop the Udver Hazy and it gives us reason to come back....
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM

The holocaust will ruin your day, it is amazing/moving/etc... From my experience you won't want to do to much after seeing what you will see.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:33 PM

Tchoiniere, you may want to reserve your tour of the Capitol in advance. The tickets are free and tours depart multiple times per hour. I booked my tour in advance, so I'm actually not sure if it's difficult to get in if you just walk in, but I think reserving in advance helps to plan your day.

Also be aware it's quite a long walk to the entrance -- that is if you're walking east toward the Capitol along the Mall --and it's up hill. You enter through the new Capitol Visitors Center entrance on the east side of the Capitol facing away from the Mall. It would be bad to walk all that way just to discover tickets are sold out.

You can go here and reserve your tour time online.
http://tours.visitthecapitol.gov/

It looks like your hotel is near a Metro stop. This will come in handy. We were staying right near the White House, and picked the hotel because we thought it would be so close to the Mall. And yes, it was relatively close, but we were suprised at how buildings that looked quite close together on a map were actually pretty far apart. We ended up using the Metro a lot even for distances that seemed short, just to save our feet a bit. It was really easy to use and we never had to wait long for a train.

The Metro station to use when going to the Capitol is the Capitol South station.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reminding about the Capitol tickets. Couldn't do it from work today. Got passes for the 9:20 tour.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

How worthwhile is it to go the Titanic statue? Friend of mine has decided he wants to see it. By looking at a map, it seems completely isolated from everything.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM

Titanic statue? I'm a native Washingtonian and I've never heard of it. I looked it up. Not far from the Waterfront/SEU metro stop on the green line. It is one stop from the stop for Nats park, so you could stop en route to the game (but don't do it after dark).
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Is there a cheap bakery / place for breakfast near the Days Inn Ct Ave. (preferrably on the way to the subway)?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM

What station is that nearest? Cleveland Park?

No eating or drinking on Metro and don't stand on the left side of the escalator (walk left/stand right)
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Its near Van Ness.

I never eat on the subways. If we have bottles of water with us capped, do they confiscate them?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Of course not. No eating or drinking.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:48 AM

No, they won't but once a woman eating an apple was handcuffed and removed from the station
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Figured better off and ask, rather than have it confiscated...
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Make sure you call first to verify opening/closings of Holocaust Museum due to shooting there yesterday, 10 June 09.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I would love to watch someone get arrested for eating or drinking. That would make my day as long (as they did it quickly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -