Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   My trip experience to New York City, the best city in the world! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/my-trip-experience-to-new-york-city-the-best-city-in-the-world-814682/)

AnitaSalerno Nov 17th, 2009 08:24 AM

My trip experience to New York City, the best city in the world!

This is my report of my visit to New York City, the best city of the world.
I want to share my experience in New York with everybody, probably somebody can use it. We didn’t know what to do, if to flight Lan Chile or Tam. We decided for Tam.
Everybody says Lan Chile, in my opinion the best is Tam. With a short time change of plane in Sao Paulo, it was the best flight I’ve ever experienced. It can only be compared to Swissair ( I went to Zurich years ago). Great plane, clean, immaculate service, delicious food…the best airline. I don’t understand why nobody talks about.

http://www.tamairlines.com

AAs hotel we choose the Ritz Carlton Hotel. t arrival, we were at the hotel in less than 2 hours. We were not wrong, this hotel has the perfect location, right on Central Park close to the best shopping and elegance of New York.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com

Daniel Restaurante
Even better than in Paris, the old world décor, incomparable service and the food…out of this world. Expensive, probably because we have best champagne but worth every penny.

http://www.danielnyc.com/daniel.html

Balthazar’s- supposed to be a celebrity experience.....
I expected to see more celebrities at this place, nobody there, at least the celebrities I know, and probably everybody else was expecting the same, because the people at every table there was watching the other tables like a searching for somebody. Probably they were looking at my beautiful hair after I visited the salon of Rodolfo Valentin. Balthazar is Very crowd, very noise and loud, food just edible, messy service and the place a little dirty… but if you like to see young, trendy people, this is the place to go. www.balthazarny.com

Central Park tour and Madison Avenue shopping should not be missed.
Show: billy Elliott- great show

Get your hair care before show or dinners, all newyorkers do!
I was searching for the top hair salons in NYC. Rodolfo Valentin shows as one of the top 10 hairstylists of the city. When I found out that he is argentinian like me, I didn’t doubt to make an appointment. I am so happy I did. He is really the best. I’ve never had such hair color and haircut in my life. I wish he moves back to argentina!
http://www.rodolfovalentin.net

vjpblovesitaly Nov 17th, 2009 08:28 AM

this sounds more like an elaborate ad than a trip report.

" if to flight Lan Chile or Tam. We decided for Tam.
Everybody says Lan Chile, in my opinion the best is Tam"

What does this even mean?

nytraveler Nov 17th, 2009 09:20 AM

Exactly. I don;t know anybody in NYC who gets their hair "done" before going out to dinner or a show. For a wedding if you're a member of the party - yes - or for another very special event, perhaps. But everyone I know (and many of us go out fairly frequently due to business obligations) would never think of wasting time having hair done beforehand. We have busy jobs and busier lives - and don't live at any salon.

Elainee Nov 17th, 2009 10:11 AM

Glad you enjoyed NYC. It is a fun experience. Getting your hair done here is a good thing. I think you even had good weather. Come back soon!

Aduchamp1 Nov 17th, 2009 10:22 AM

Could not agree more reagrding Balthazar. I am bald so I will take your word on hair products.

bspielman Nov 17th, 2009 10:49 AM

vjp and nyt, could you turn the innate NYC cynicism down a notch?

Here's a report from someone who obviously has visited New York from thousands of miles away, and who has made what seem to me to be legitimate comments about her experience, from her airline to her hotel to the restaurants she visited to, yes, her hairdresser.

Were you visiting a foreign city, having traveled for many, many hours, mightn't you want to look your best for an evening out? Do you "have busy jobs and busier lives" even when you're vacationing?

wyatt92 Nov 17th, 2009 10:56 AM

Some people are so humorless.

This is a trip report from someone who's first language is not English. No need to be insulting or petty.

To the OP, glad you enjoyed your trip!

AnitaSalerno Nov 17th, 2009 12:55 PM

well, how you want I say what airline is better in my opinion? why bothers you the way I put it?, are you from Lan Chile? maybe it is the reason...sorry!

AnitaSalerno Nov 17th, 2009 12:56 PM

NYTRAVELER

AnitaSalerno Nov 17th, 2009 12:57 PM

NYTRAVELER, sorry to heard that you don't know nobody that get the hair done before go to dinner.probably you don't know it....but most of us (women) go the salon for an special evening, and going to the theatre and after special dinner is an occasion that we'll like to looks great.

AnitaSalerno Nov 17th, 2009 12:58 PM

Elainee thank you!, yes I got good weather and I loved NYC- Yes I will be back soon.

AnitaSalerno Nov 17th, 2009 01:00 PM

ADUCHAMP1- thank you for agree with me about balthazar, it really was different to what I was expecting. yes take my word about hair. it is the best. i wish I have him back in argentina....but I dont blame him, NYC is the place to be.

vjpblovesitaly Nov 17th, 2009 01:00 PM

"but most of us (women) go the salon for an special evening,"

You said all

jroth Nov 18th, 2009 05:37 AM

I can appreciate a visitor doing a hairdresser in NY. It's a great local experience. My wife did it in Paris. Loved it. But - just a word of caution about seeking out "celebrities". There really is no special place that one would do that -= you could bump into one at the local deli - or as I have noted - sitting in the window of a Starbucks (Tony Bennett).

Aduchamp1 Nov 18th, 2009 05:46 AM

What is most interesting about AnitaSalerno's report is that she does not seem influenced by preconceptions. Living 6,000 miles away, being from a different culture, and speaking a different language gives her a different perspective.

maria_so Nov 18th, 2009 12:42 PM

I would want to get a "hair experience" from a NY salon, or one from Los Angeles or something like that. Maybe not from Denver (no disrespect to Denver hair stylist), but from cities where these things are considered the best. I think it's the fact that english isn't the OP's first language that probably doesn't read correctly ("all" vs "most") but I get her point and thank her for even trying. There's also a level of excitement from us outsiders coming to visit your wonderful city that you should keep in mind so we tend to blow it up more in our head "Get your hair care before show or dinners, all newyorkers do!". Obviously no one would believe that all the new yorkers do that. That's what comes from the OP's positive experience from getting her hair done.

“Sometimes it is better to be kind than right.”

ac291 Nov 18th, 2009 12:48 PM

oh i defn wanted to get my hair done whilst in NYC - no time...too busy sightseeing and enjoying myself so I had messy curls for 2 whole weeks!!

mlgb Nov 18th, 2009 01:27 PM

I understand exactly what she meant. I like LAN Chile, but it is good to know about TAM, they have some great airfares so I always wondered about them.

Skiergirl Nov 18th, 2009 04:19 PM

vjb-I seriously cannot believe you took the time AGAIN to show that the OP first said "all" women and then changed it to "most". Who gives a s***?

I'm a New Yorker and am thrilled you had such a great time! I own a place in Buenos Aires so I am extremely fond of your country as well. Come back and visit anytime!

kimamom Nov 18th, 2009 05:40 PM

Sounds wonderful, we just spent 3 nights in NYC at The Plaza, what a fantastic city, it was even better than I dreamed it would be. We loved The Plaza, Central Park, Le Bernardin, Cafe Boulud, Katz's Deli and Esca. The Lion King on Broadway was spectacular, I'll write a full trip report later, after I take it all in a bit. I agree with you that NYC is amazing! ***kim*** ((#))