Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My (tentative) Alaska Itinerary. Please comment.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think of this itinerary? I have just begun putting together this trip and haven’t had tons of time to research yet. Since we are going at a peak time I think I need to get things set quick. We have our flights & that’s it for now.

We (husband & I) are from Colorado and love hiking, wildlife, nature, etc. We don’t fish but being in a land locked state we NEED to get out on the water which we will do in Seward & Homer.

1/1: Arrive in Anchorage at 8:30pm. Pick up rental car. Stay night in Anchorage.
1/2: Drive to Seward. Stay in Seward.
1/3: Stay in Seward.
1/4: Stay in Seward.
1/5: Drive to Homer. Stay in Homer.
1/6: Stay in Homer.
1/7: Drive to Anchorage. Drop off rental car and take bus (3:00-8:30pm) to Denali.
1/8: Stay in Denali.
1/9: Stay in Denali.
1/10: Take train back to Anchorage. Stay in Anchorage (last night).
1/11: Spend day in/around Anchorage. Flight doesn’t leave until midnight. Guess we’ll have to rent a car for the day(?)

Instead of taking bus/train to/from Denali should we just keep the car? Especially since we’ll need it the last day in Anchorage. Or will we need it?

Is there something we should add? Subtract? Rearrange? Should we somehow/ somewhere include a flight?

Any good brewpubs we should visit in our travels? We love a good microbrew.

I truly appreciate any advice/comments on any of this that you can provide.

Terri
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:40 AM

Try the Glacier Brewhouse in Anchorage. They have great food.

http://www.glacierbrewhouse.com/

As far as the car goes, I would probably keep it, but you could always rent bikes for the day (weather permitting of course). There is a terrific bicycle path which is lovely to ride on. I guess it all depends on what you want to squeeze in on your last day. Anchorage is spread out, so keep that in mind. I think the itinerary looks ok otherwise.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Deborah. The Glacier Brewhouse sounds great (mmm Double IPA).

I’m still somewhat undecided on the car. The bus/train sounds nice & relaxing yet I hate to be paying for a car that isn’t being used. And it seems like a hassle to rent one for 1 day. Now I’m thinking on 1/7 to spend time in the Anchorage area and take the bus to Denali on 1/8 and return by train on 1/11 and then we’ll only have a couple hours to kill before we take off.

I’m also concerned if we are spending enough time in Homer. We’ll really only have 1 full day is that enough?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM

I suggest you add one more night to Homer because you love hiking, wildlife, nature and there is so much to do and see. I would spend two nights in Denali.
Keep a car instead of returning in Anchorage, taking a bus to Denali, then renting a car again. I don't think it would be much cheaper anyway. Have fun planning
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Wildfire. So you think I should cut out one of the 2 full days in Denali and add a day to Homer? Is 1 full day in Denali + the morning before the train takes off enough time there?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:11 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Can I just pipe in and suggest that you nix the bus/train deal to Denali and just keep the car? Honestly, the train is not that great shakes in peak season (which is what month, BTW - not January I assume.) And the idea of sitting on a bus up the Parks Hwy gives me the jimjams. You'll have more time and flexibility with the car, can stop for an early meal in Talkeetna, say, and still arrive at DNP long before sundown. Cheaper, too.

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Oh geez. I can't believe I put January instead of July. What a dope.

I am rethinking the whole train/bus thing. Just thought it would be cool to take a train somewhere in Alaska and only considered the bus 1-way to save a little time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:34 PM
jq

Teri,
1/1: Arrive in Anchorage at 8:30pm. Pick up rental car. Stay night in Anchorage.
1/2: Drive to Seward. Stay in Seward.
1/3: Stay in Seward.
1/4: Stay in Seward.
1/5: Drive to Homer. Stay in Homer.
1/6: Stay in Homer.
1/7: Drive to Anchorage. Drop off rental car and take bus (3:00-8:30pm) to Denali.
1/8: Stay in Denali.
1/9: Stay in Denali.
1/10: Take train back to Anchorage. Stay in Anchorage (last night).
1/11: Spend day in/around Anchorage. Flight doesn’t leave until midnight. Guess we’ll have to rent a car for the day(?)

Instead of taking bus/train to/from Denali should we just keep the car? Especially since we’ll need it the last day in Anchorage. Or will we need it?
From your itinerary, you are very brave going in January!! I would second the car for denali trip. Bus or train take longer and no flexibility. Are you planning on going from Homer to denali in one day, 1/7? I hope that is not what this says, as that would be very long day. Two nights in Seward would probably be enough, and maybe one more in Homer? If you take boat ride across the bay to hike for the day or go to Katmai NP for bear trip, you might want the extra day. At least two nights for denali. One day for shuttle to Wonder Lake or Fish Creek is good if weather is good. There is another days worth of things to do around denali, including dog demos, rafting, hiking near entrance.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:56 AM

I believe the Forest Fair in Girdwood will be July 1,2 and 3. If you like crafts, music and food vendors it's a nice event. Good chance to try something made with reindeer sausage or halibut. And a great place to find handmade souveniers. (I bought a beautiful frame made from twigs and copper to frame our favorite trip pic.) You can also take the tram up Mt Alyeska for a view of 7 glaciers. There'll be snow at the top. You could make a stop on the way to Seward. You'll have to get up early for your drive from Homer to Anchorage. It's at least a 5 hour drive. You'll want to stop for lunch and you will probably want to make additional stops just to take pictures.
We like the Moose's Tooth. You'll go right by it when you get on the Seward Highway. Go for a beer sampler and gourmet pizza. (My favorite is Arctic Apricot but I don't like anything too hoppy.)
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:58 AM

I too would strongly suggest you keep the car rental. Not only are you missing out on plenty of great stops along the way, a bus is NOT the way to go and the train is only so so scenery in my opinion on this long portion. I would suggest you might want to at least stop in Talkeetna- this is the place for McKinley flightseeing, not likely to see it otherwise. You may want to add a night there- on the way up or back? I too would stay another night in Homer, even cutting back in Seward to do so maybe? You DO need a car the last Anchorage day anyway, makes better use of attractions/dining and a place for your bags. With the water priority, I would suggest you may want to consider an excellent glacier sailing out of Prince William Sound, extremely scenic and not duplicated by sailing out of Homer or Seward. A necessary reference is THE MILEPOST, be certain to obtain a copy. Request each area's visitor guides. AND definately with July travel, get your lodging booked NOW, already plenty of B&B's are sold out.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all the great advice and for overlooking my goof up on the dates (July not January). The side trips you all have listed sound great. Here is our new & improved itinerary with no buses or trains. I plan on getting lodging reservations done by the end of the week as I realize I don’t have much time.

7/1: Arrive in Anchorage at 8:30pm. Pick up rental car. Stay night in Anchorage.
7/2: Anchorage to Seward. Stay in Seward.
7/3: Stay in Seward.
7/4: Stay in Seward.
7/5: Seward (drive or take ferry) to Homer. Stay in Homer.
7/6: Stay in Homer.
7/7: Stay in Homer.
7/7: Homer to Anchorage. Stay in (or near) Anchorage.
7/8: Anchorage to Denali. Stay in Denali.
7/9: Stay in Denali.
7/10: Denali to Talkeeta. Stay in Talkeeta
7/11: Talkeeta to Anchorage. Flight home is at midnight.

Questions:
Would it be reasonable to get to the Prince William Sound glacier sailing while staying in Seward?

Can we take a ferry from Seward to Homer with our car?

Can we fly to Denali from Talkeeta & back a few days later?
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Would it be reasonable to get to the Prince William Sound glacier sailing while staying in Seward?
If you mean the "26 Glacier" tour out of Whittier, you can detour into Whittier en route to/from Seward/Anchorage - roughly an hour and a half from eithr, depending on the tunnel opening times.

Can we take a ferry from Seward to Homer with our car?
No, drive on the convenient roads built on dry land.

Can we fly to Denali from Talkeeta & back a few days later?
Maybe on a charter, not scheduled; the airstrip near the park HQ is unmonitored and I don't think there are any resident charter operators. Charter operators are located at Healy, Cantwell and Talkeetna.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:22 PM

Your final itinerary looks great but I agree with Gardyloo about not taking ferry between Seward and Homer. It doesn't operate daily anyway and it takes forever.
There are endless activities in and from Homer. Also agree about glacier sailing out of Prince William Sound. Make your reservations soon.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone. I really appreciate the help. I’ve ordered the tour saver coupon book and should have it in a couple days and then I will make all reservations.

Cheers.