My New York Trip Report 10/10-13

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first trip report on this board....I did get some information from the people on this board so I hope I can pass along some info to others. Hope y'all enjoy it.

The purpose of the trip was a pre-birthday celebration for my sister. We both have been to New York before so we've already done many of the first time tourist things so we didn't really have much on our agenda except to have a good time and relax.

Wednesday – boarded plane on time (6:30am), after 20 minutes of not moving, the pilot informed us of a possible oil leak issue and that we would have to wait for a mechanic to inspect the problem….. 20 minutes later, pilot announced that it was a hydraulic issue and that they didn’t have the part necessary to fix it. We must disboard and wait to get the part from New York. Part due to arrive at 3pm…. 8:45am – good news…. Early flight from NY has part on board and it due to arrive in NOLA at 10:40am. Mechanic doesn’t know how long it will take to change part as he has never changed it before. 12:30pm, plane fixed, boarding…. 1:05pm, plane departs MSY, arrives JFK 4:30pm, took AirTrain to Jamaica Station, then the E train to 42nd St and arrived at hotel (Travel Inn) approximately 6:00pm.

Hotel: Travel Inn on W42nd St… room nice enough, double beds, typical small but clean bath.

I met my sister, who had flown in early from DC, at the hotel and went to dinner at Hell’s Kitchen (Progressive Mexican cuisine) at 679 9th Ave. The restaurant was pretty full and since we didn’t have a reservation, we lucked into 2 spots at the bar. I enjoyed my dinner which consisted of a couple of pineapple margaritas, guacamole appetizer and roasted chicken quesadillas. My sister had the poached artichoke & cheese quesadillas that were also every good.

After dinner, we walked to E60th St (bet. 2nd & 3rd St) to Serendipity 3 for dessert. My sister had not been here and wanted to see it since the Serendipity movie came out. We wound up waiting about 35 minutes at 8:35pm for a table but that was ok since I was still pretty full from dinner. Afterwards, we walked back to hotel and called it a night.

Thursday turned out to be cool and it rained on/off the entire day. We started out with breakfast at Junior’s on 45th, the eggs were ok, coffee was ok, nothing to rave about. We spent the day walking 5th Ave, Rockefeller Center, had coffee at Dean & Deluca, took subway to Central Park, snack at Café Lola, which my sister had also seen on “You’ve Got Mail”, walked the Financial District, walked past the World Trade Center and then headed back to hotel to get ready for dinner and the Broadway show. Tonight, dinner was at Rio & You Sushi on 45th. They were not too crowded this night and we were able to get in and out in around 30 minutes. The sushi rolls were very good. Afterward we headed to the Minskoff Theatre to see “The Lion King”. The show was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and the music. The seats were pretty good too and we had a pretty good view of the entire stage plus were able to see almost all of the performers when they came out into the audience.

Friday it was cool and overcast the entire day. We started out with a very inexpensive breakfast at the Deli which was located in the hotel. I think the name of the place 100% sure. Afterward took the subway to Greenwich Village and walked around, stopping in some of the shops and walked past 75-1/2 Bedford St., (the narrowest house in the city). On the inside, it measures 8 ft. 7 in. wide; at its narrowest, it’s 2 ft. wide. From Greenwich Village, we took the subway to Brooklyn exiting at High St, we walked Water St and had a very tasty ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, we walked past Grimaldi’s Pizza but the line outside was too long so we elected not to have lunch there, we then headed back to Manhattan via Brooklyn Bridge and then continued our walking tour through ChinaTown, Little Italy (finally having lunch at Pomodoro Pizza on Spring St – slice of cheese, good), through SOHO and back to Greenwich Village to take subway back to hotel. For dinner, my sister wanted to have dinner at Birdland but they were standing room only and the next show wasn’t until 8:30 so we decided to go back to Hell’s Kitchen for dinner again. This time, I had a strawberry margarita and the nightly special which were some fish tacos. All was excellent. Then we caught a comedy show at Laugh Factory (ok but not great). We ended up walking around Times Square some more before calling it a night.

Saturday was my last day in NY and the day was again cool but no rain. We went to the 8th Avenue Autumn Festival where we walked the entire thing twice, from 42nd to 57th St. The food was good and I enjoyed trying many of the items. Afterward we again walked around shopping until it was time to head back to the airport via subway/AirTrain.

Overall in spite of the rough start, it was a very enjoyable few days in New York. This is my 3rd trip to Manhattan and I can’t say that I have not enjoyed any of the trips.

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you ate well in the Big Apple!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:57 PM

Thank you for posting your report. I have a question -- what were your seats at the Minskoff? I'm planning to see Lion King and am going back and forth between orchestra seats and mezzanine seats. Any advice? We'll have children with us, if that matters. Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi JustMeToo - My seats were in the Mezzanine level, third row, seats 112 & 113 which were just left of center stage. They were good seats and we were able to see the entire stage. This theatre does have kid booster seats as I saw a few people use them. I'm not sure if that is standard at all theatres.

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

One more thing that I think is a bit of good news... Jet Blue just emailed me that they are issuing a oneway JetBlue electronic Voucher equivalent to the base fare paid for the flight issues on my flight out of MSY. I had not complained or requested this so it was a surprise and definitely good customer service from JetBlue.