Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My kids don't want to go to Montreal and Quebec City (already posted on Canada board) - what else driving distance from Boston

Search

My kids don't want to go to Montreal and Quebec City (already posted on Canada board) - what else driving distance from Boston

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want 7-10 day vacation for this summer driving distance from Boston. Includes 2 teenagers. Prefer at least some time in a city - don't want to do a cabin on the lake thing. Want a 6-8 hour drive maximum. Have already done Washington, Buffalo/Toronto/Niagara Falls and Bar Harbor/Nova Scotia.

I thought Montreal/Quebec City would be perfect - but for some unknown reason kids are protesting. We may go anyway, but when I posted question on Canada board, got only one response - so maybe they are right!

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:27 AM

Have you considered New York City? If you don't want to spend the whole vacation there, you could stop off n the Berkshires.

Or you could let the teens do their own research and make some suggestions. Are they old enough to be thinking about visiting colleges?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Anon. Husband actually wants to do NYC - I don't know why it had not hit my radar - probably because I grew up in suburbs of NYC. I am a big advocate of combining summer trips with viewing colleges - son is off to Savannah College of Art and Design in September and school selection was helped by us stopping by any college on the way to anything over the past few years. (Daughter is only 13 - more interested in visiting malls than colleges at this point)
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:04 AM

Give you kids a couple of years before Montreal and Quebec -- mine REALLY loved it once they were over 18 and could go out "clubbing" in Montreal. Plus the shopping was extraordinary. But then, we went over Christmas and scheduled a ski-trip for one day and a dog-sled trip another. It turned out to be one of the best vacations we ever had. Meanwhile, NYC would be perfect. The city has so many things to do in the summer -- check ahead to see who is playing in the Central Park Concerts, as they are a wonderful way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Plus, when you go with Mom and Dad, you'll get to stay in a little nicer hotel and eat at some better restaurants than you would if you were on your own. Get the Time Out book of restaurants which we've found to be invaluable in finding places with different cuisines in various neighborhoods (including a terrific diner that is open 24-7 on W34th St. -- Skylight Diner)
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:41 AM

Gail, just an FYI, my 13 year old daughter absolutely LOVED NYC. So much that it was her request to go there again this summer (we were just there last August). There is so much to do, plenty of shopping, and she just loved being in the big city. I second NYC.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Hey. You are paying for it right. Tell the kids when they have jobs they can go where they want! Just kidding
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM
GoTravel

I wish my parents would have asked my three sisters and me for our imput!

Your lucky kids! We were going were my parents wanted and we had better not be mouthy about the trip!

They'll love NYC!

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Have you considered Hershey /Gettysburg/Lancaster? Its within your driving range. Maybe you could combine it with NYC? Stay at the Hotel Hershey, indulge in spa treatments for you and your daughter, maybe golf for the men or vice versa?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:46 AM
gyppielou

Yes to NYC! walk across the brooklyn bridge and eat pizza, after you've had enough of the city, which would be 3 or 4 nights for me, head home stopping at WatchHill/Westerly/orCharleston Rhode Island for a couple of nights, hang at my new fav beach - ssshhh - East Beach, then make a last stop in newport for a mansion and some kite flying. Just a thought!

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:05 PM

You and your kids will really be missing out by not going to Montreal and Quebec City. Montreal is a cosmopolitan, sophisticated big city but is very laid back and friendly at the same time. It's unique with its Franco-Anglo blend, has great restaurants, kid-friendly attractions such as the LaRonde amusement park and the tower at Olympic Stadium, AND, with the exchange rate, is a fantastic bargain.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:11 PM

And St. Catherine's Street, a major street in downtown Montreal, is lined with teen-appeal clothing stores, movie theaters, video game arcades, indoor shopping plazas, fast food joints, bookstores and so on - it's a carnival midway for teens.
And riding the Montreal metro, which has rubber tires ala Paris, is cool.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Drive up to Bar Harbor Maine visit Acadia Nat'l Park, climb Cadillac mountain and then for one day take the CAT over to Nova Scotia, or go for longer. One of my dream trips is to do the CAT to NS and the drive into the true Atlantic Maritimes.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:32 PM
MightyIsis

I would press the kids for more info. What don't they like about Montreal/Quebec City? If they give you specifics, it will help in choosing another place. Or, you could show them a map circled with 6-8 hour drive circumferences from your house, give them some guidebooks and have them plan. Tell them the budget and have them pick hotels and activities within that budget. Lord only knows what they will come up with -- Beware, this could also be a ploy to have the parents go on vacation and leave the house to them -- certainly not a judgement on your teens specifically, just teens in general from one former teen who knows.

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your suggestions -will post trip report when we decide where to go or you will see posting for kids for sale on ebay.

No chance we would leave them home. This may just be routine but increase complaining - we have been many places and they actually have a great time when we are there (have even overheard them reporting same to their friends!)

Will probably ask them for more input - and if they can't come up with a better idea, off to Canada we go to take advantage of the still-good exchange rate. 17 1/2 year old son is somewhat intrigued with drinking age of 18 in Canada. Although he thinks it would be "weird" to have first legal drink with his parents.

Perhaps I am too concerned with what they would like - comes from being dragged to remote fishing camps with my parents when I was a teenager.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Gail, trust me on this ...they will thank you for taking them to Montreal and Quebec. Unless they are into lying on a beach all day there is no way they could be bored there. It's just too cool.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Okay, now I want to go to Montreal and Quebec!

gail, if your kids don't, I'll go with you instead.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM

If you do get them to Montreal, take them to the corner of Prince Arthur and St. Laurent on a Friday or Saturday night, when it's jam packed with teens, college kids, street entertainers and tourists. Then see if they are bored!
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

I am saving and printing all your replies for a future date - we are on a new kick now - a cruise to Bermuda )Please don't tell me you can't drive to Bermuda - I really do know that). I really appreciate all your help. Will be last family trip before we send older kid off to college and he came up with the idea!