My husband wants to go to Charleston SC.....

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My husband wants to go to Charleston SC.....

I made reservations for my husband and I to go to Northern CA for a few days in early March, and now he has decided he would like to see Charleston SC. I've always wanted to go to Charleston but wish he had decided before I made our CA plans (which can be cancelled). So...my question is, if we were to go to Charleston around March 1st, what typically is the weather like then? And are there tours that would take us to see some plantations? ( don't want to rent a car). Thx.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Yes, there are plantation tours. I'm not sure if transportation is included, but the Visitor's Center would be able to answer that question.

Charleston is a wonderful, romantic city and early March is a good time to go. It may be a bit cool, but certainly more spring-like than winter. The breeze off the harbor can be downright cold, but dress in layers and be prepared to shed some as the day warms. The azaleas and camellias will probably be in bud then, and you would be going prior to the high season, so you can get some really good hotel rates.

Even if you don't make it to a plantation -- Middleton Place or Magnolia Gardens -- the historic district is full of history and interesting tours. There are many historic houses that will take your breath away - the Edmonston-Alston House, Calhoun Mansion, Manigault House, Aiken-Rhett House, etc. You can purchase a ticket at the Visitor's Center to visit several.

The open market is delightful - you never know what you will find -- from wonderful paintings from local artists to hand woven baskets to jewelry to local foods, the list goes on and on.

Restaurants are plentiful and there is something to satisfy every palate. We've been going to Charleston for 25 years and it is truly one of my favorite places to visit. I never get tired of it.

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Sure they have plantation tours. Some are 1/2 day, some are full day tours. Some are combo tours----city tour in morning with plantation in afternoon. Some tours will pick you up at your hotel and some you must go to the visitor center to depart. Do a search, there are many fine tour companies. Here is one of the tour companies, there are more----
http://www.touringcharleston.com/charleston-tours.htm
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:31 AM

We have visited Charleston in both March & May. In March you will find that many trees & shrubs are just budding so they are pretty bear, however the weather is generally nice. However we did enjoy our visit, its a great city with tons of history. In March there will be plantation tours. The plantations are very close to Charleston & easy drives. Our 2nd visit was in May because of the prior lack of trees & shrubs being in full bloom and also because we absolutely loved Charleston the 1st time. May was a better time of the year to visit. I don't know how much time you have for your vacation but Savannah is also a great place to visit being not far down the road. For weather averages pull up the website www.weather.com.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Hmmm, I don't blame him
I want to go in early April.
I think it is a great idea, very romantic and I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back ~Scarlett
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM
GoTravel

Shea, our foilage doesn't bloom by the calender but by the weather.

I've had my azaleas bloom as late as April and as early as the beginning of February.

Live Oak trees do no shed their leaves in the fall. They lose their leaves when the new growth pushes the old leaves out.

Weather should be warm unless we get a freak cold snap. Plan on mid 70s daily high and mid 50s night time low.

Middleton Place and Boone Hall are both good Plantations.

Stay downtown and you will not need a car. Don't think about staying across the river.

If you search, you'll find very recent dining and accommodation rrecommendations.

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I was in Charleston this past fall and fell in love with it. Only wish I'd had more time to spend. The carriage tour was loads of fun. I didn't get a chance to take plantation or boat tours, but will return to do so! You won't be bored.

I stayed at The Mills House and got a great deal off Priceline. The staff were very nice and helpful for places to eat. Lovely area between the harbor area and Market Street (made for a nice little walk in either direction.)

ENJOY!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Good morning gotravel. I realize about the weather factor. The weather was nice when we visited in March & was wondering why things weren't greened up at that time. I guess some of those southern trees needed just a little more warmth. We visited late March that 1st time & like I said enjoyed it so much we made another visit the following year in May, which was nicer. Anytime a person goes on vacation Mother Nature can be cruel or nice.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
GoTravel

Hmmn. Doesn't make sense. The Palm trees are green and the Live Oaks are also green.

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM

gotravel. The palm trees & grass were green alright but not much else. If those big hunkers were live oaks they weren't green. Maybe it was an unusual year. Don't get the idea that I am saying that March is a bad time to visit because it's not - April or May would just be better, in my opinion.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Charleston is wonderful. however, it will be on the cooler side.

Stay at the Charleston Place hotel. It is beautiful and a nice location.

I have been to Charleston 5 times and I take a carriage ride every time I go. Last time we did a ghost tour in the night. It was a walking tour and was great fun. The jail especially is a riot.

A really nice restaurant is 83 Queen Street. They have a nice atmosphere and good food. As far as I am concerned, they have the best grits....and I do not even really like them.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM

It will be a nice time to be in Charleston - should be very mild.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Almost forgot...if you are in the mood to drive, go to kiawah island. It is very beautiful. Also, the best restaurant I have ever eaten at is the Atlantic Room in the Kiawah Hotel. It is a 5 star restaurant and worth every penny. In fact it was so good, we went back the next night for dessert.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

As it turns out, we will be going to Nassau, Bahamas for our March trip. So Charleston will have to be another time. Made the decision based on frequent flier miles that we want to use up and hotel prices.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Sorry to hear you won't be visiting Charleston, it is very nice in March. However, as you know the Bahamas will be even warmer!

But for others seeking Charleston info, as GoTravel says: "" If you search, you'll find very recent dining and accommodation rrecommendations.""

Have a great time!