My Great US Travel Itinerary - Hope I Won't Get Too Tired

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 03:20 AM
H

Hi all,
I will be travelling to the US in about 3 weeks time. I cannot wait as this has been a dream of mine for so long.
I have just completed my itinerary after months of researching - this site has definately helped alot. Please feel free to make any comments or suggestions!

Day 1 - Fly into JFK airport from Sydney, Australia. (I have heard that it would be a 20 hr flight !!!)
Take a Supershuttle to Hotel Edison in Manhattan. (We will only be staying there for 1 night)

Day 2 - Meet Tour group in lobby at 7.30am.
As this is my 1st trip I wanted to go on a Tour to be more comfortable.

AmericanTours International - 5day Great Eastern Cities Tour.
We will be travelling by coach(bus) via Binghamton and Fingerlakes Country to Niagara Falls.

Stay at the Best Western Inn On The River.

Day 3 - A full day exploring both sides (Canadian and American) of Niagara Falls. Will partake in usuals such as Maid of the Mist, etc.

Day 4 - Leave Niagara Falls, driving through the Pennsylvania Dutch Countryside to the Civil War battlefields of Gettysberg. Continue to Nation's capital Washington DC.

We will be staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza.

Day 5 - Highlights of today will be: White House, the capitol, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cememtery.

Day 6 - Leave Washington DC, drive to Philadelphia and see Independence Hall and Liberty Bell.

Tour ends when we arrive back in NYC.

Will be staying at the Milford Plaza Hotel.

Day 7 - Planning to explore NYC! I am determined to see the Statue of Liberty and climb all the way to the crown!
Then Shopping, Shopping, Shopping - in the Downtown area, such as Soho, ChinaTown, Greenwich Village, Little Italy.

Later that night I have booked a Grayline Tour called Night On The Town.

It is a driving tour of Times Square, 42nd St, Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, Flaitron Building, Washington Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Radio city and much more.
The tour also includes a walking tour of Greenwich village, a 9-course dinner in Chinatown and admission to Top of the World at the World Trade Center.

Day 8 - Last Day in NYC. Planning to check out early, then spend rest of the day shopping down 5th Ave or one of the large department stores such as Macy's.

Take the supershuttle back to JFK, board our flight to LAX. I have been told that it is a 6 hr flight

Arrive at LAX, board Airport Shuttle to Anaheim. We will be staying at the Super8 Motel - Anaheim.

Day 9,8,10 - Purchased a 3day Flex pass.
Spend 2 days at Disneyland and 1 day at California Adventure Park.

At night we would be venturing to Downtown Disney for hopefully good restaurants and nightlife?

Day 11 - Entire day at Universal Studios.

Day 12 - Huntington or Laguna Beach to relax.

Day 13 - Check Out Early. Spend rest of day perhaps shopping ( South Coast Plaza).

Airportbus back to LAX to board our midnight flight to Sydney!!

Few, I'm already tired thinking about whats to come!
Thanks for reading, please post any suggestions or advice!
I will post up my report when I get back.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 07:01 AM
sandy

That sounds like a great trip, and you have done some good planning and are very excited about it! However, you will be EXHAUSTED during the first half of it! The drive from NYC to Niagara Falls is about 8 hours--hopefully you'll have (or meet) some fun traveling companions. Also, the drive along the main highways though upstate NY isn't anything spectacular. That stretch of the trip is a good chance to get some much needed sleep. I've never gone from one place to the other, but I think the drive from Niagara Falls to Washington has to be about 7 hours (?).

The West Coast part of the trip will feel much more relaxing, but as long as you're excited about the trip, you should be able to keep on going!

Have a great trip to the US!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Jim

H -

The only thing I would change would be to decrease the time you will be spending at amusement parks (Disney, Universal). They get old after a while, and are a very "artificial" part of America.

Instead, use your time in southern california to do a day trip down to San Diego or up to Santa Barbara, two great places 2-3 hours from LA.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Rqf

My comments will be restricted to NYC. Unless the Super shuttle is part of the tour package consider a taxi from JFK to Manhattan. The taxi rate is fixed at $30. There probably will be a $3.50 tunnel or bridge toll and a tip will be extra. Total cost will be between $35 and $40 depending upon size of the tip. Shuttle is $15 to $19 depending on location. Taxi is faster than shuttle and after that long flight you want to get to the hotel as quickly as possible. The Edison is in the Times Square area.

You indicate you want to climb to the Crown. During the summer the climb to the Crown, if allowed, is dependent upon how hot it is. But, on days it is allowed the usual cut off time for going to the crown is about 10am. To stand a chance to do this you should follow these instructions to the letter.

You MUST take the first boat of the day. Until the end of the month the first boat departs at 9am on weekdays and 8:30 on weekends. The schedule will probably be the same in July but call when in NYC to be sure. The telephone number is 269-5755. Plan to leave the hotel before 8am. The subway ride will take less than 30 minutes. Go to the Times Square Station (42nd and Broadway - a five minute or so walk from the hotel). Go to the platform that says "DOWNTOWN". Take a #2 or #3 train to Chambers St, the third stop (34th St, 14th St. Chambers Street). At Chambers walk across the platform and take a #1 or #9 local to the last stop, South Ferry. On the local you must be in one of the first five subway cars. You could take the #1 or #9 local at 42nd St but the express/local combination could shorten the trip by five to ten minutes. This could make a difference in insuring the opportunity to climb the steps to the crown.

You want to be one of the first ones on the boat so you can position yourself for a quick exit form the boat when you get to the statue. You get on the ferry by walking a short gangplank. At the end of the gangplank you make a left and enter the closed lower deck. Don’t go any further and position yourself as close to the door you entered to get to the closed deck. When you get to the Statute get off as quickly as you can and walk as fast as you can to the place where the lines form for the Statue. There is only one direction you can walk. Two lines will be forming - one for the Crown, one for the pedestal. Make sure you get on the right line. The boat has two decks. The lower deck is enclosed, the upper deck is open. Most people head for the upper deck so they can see the NYC skyline and the approach to the Statue. You can do the upper deck when you return.

As the boat approaches the Statue people will start working their way to the doors through which you exit. Make sure you are in a position to make a quick exit.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 10:47 AM
GOL

You will also get a ticket to gain access to the crown, if you are on the first boat. Here is a clip from the web site www.nps.gov\stli

2001 Crown Ticket Policy: For protection of our visitors and the park's resources, access to the crown of the Statue of Liberty will be via ticket only. Crown tickets will be given to visitors arriving only on the first ferry from New York and New Jersey. All other visitors will have access to the Statue's 10th floor pedestal only.

The Crown Ticket Policy will be in effect during the following times: May 26 - May 29, 2001(Daily), June 2nd - June 24th, 2001 (weekends only), June 30th - September 3rd

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 11:04 AM
gail

...also for a speedy entrance you must pass through a metal detector. Don't bring anything that could cause you delay.Anything that causes you further explanation could cause a slow down (heaven forbid!). They have a great self photo machine there. It gives you stickers of yourself at the Statue to put on postcards. Have fun..wear your tennies that day!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:18 PM
H

Thanks to everyone who have posted their suggestions and opinions.

My only concern about this trip is the amount of time spent travelling, but oh well, it is out of my hands.

The only reason we are spending so much time at the amusement parks is that I will be travelling with my 18 yr old cousin and my 14 yr old sister.
I think they will have a better time there than any other place, but if we do get bored we will consider other options.

Thankyou especially to rqf for your valuable advice. I have read many of your posts and it has definately helped me alot.
I was going to take the #1 or 9 to South Ferry directly from 42nd st but if taking the express then switching to a local takes less time, I will certainly take the route that takes the least time.
With the changing platforms, is it easy to do as i do not want to get lost?
Thanks alot!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Greg

H:
I don't know if you're from Sydney, your point of air departure, but I must say that during my first visit to Sydney for the recent Olympics I was extremely impressed. The city is one of the most beautiful in the world, it's easy to navigate and the people are among the nicest I've met anywhere abroad. If Sydney is your point of reference, I think you may be underwhelmed with LA itself, but Disneyland is lots of fun.
NYC, on the other hand, is a very unique place and the historical aspects of your trip (Philadelphia, Washington DC) should be enjoyable. Both AUS and US are such 'young' countries, we have to make the most of our historical aspects!
I hope you can return to explore some of what sets America apart from the rest of the world, its national park system. Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, the Rocky Mountains....they provide some of the most impressive scenes and memories available here.
Aussie-Aussie-Aussie, Oy-Oy-Oy!!
Have a great time, mates!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:39 PM
rqf

No changing platforms at Chambers Street. Exit train and cross the platform for the local. If you are lucky there might even be a local waiting at Chambers.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Christine

I've been lucky enough to done the traveling bit w/tour groups & alone and the one thing that I have learned that I am so grateful for is to PACK LIGHT! It is such a pain, especially when you are far away from home to know that you have to lug around your stuff & gifts, etc. that you have bought for everyone back home, all over the country! Pack an empty duffel into your main suitcase to use to bring back your treasures. Also, I would go to Laguna Beach instead of Huntington Beach b/c LB is so much nicer, cleaner & beautiful than HB, which is also nice too, but a little on the plain side. As for Disneyland, I used to work there so I know this for a fact. It will be hot, sticky & you will have to wait in so many loooong lines, you might want to give up. Go to the main (i.e. best) rides early in the morning or very late at night (closing). And please keep your hands & fingers inside the Splash Mountain ride's boat. I once saw a guy's finger ripped off b/c he decided to put his hands in the water where his class ring got caught on one of the gears. Warn your younger ones too. Also Universal Studio's is a fun place..check out the next door Universal Citywalk. You might also want to consider skipping Universal Studio's for Knott's Berry Farm, which has more rides & is somewhat cheaper...especially after the 4pm discount. Knott's is also about 10-15 min away from the Super 8 rather than the 45-60 min ride to Universal City. Just a thought. Have a good time & good luck w/the itnerary!

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Dione

Wow!
Sounds like a great time you are going to encounter.
I haven't been to Niagara falls since i was a child, but i have to say, the memories of it has always stayed with me.
My only tip is to wear good walking shoes, coz you'll be walking around alot.
Can't wait for your report.
Have a fun and safe time in the USA!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:35 AM
jen ratta

Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Linda

H, your 18 and 14 year olds should be fine by themselves on the second day in Disneyland IMHO. They can't get truly lost and Disneyland is such a friendly place that there will be tons of people around to help them if they need it. So, consider letting them go by themselves. That way, you could use that day to do something else that interests you, maybe taking a city or something.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:53 PM
stan

IMO you should have stayed on the east coast for your trip. The only thing you are doing in california is going to amusement parks - is the 6 hr flight worth it?
Save money and time by going down to Florida, they have a Walt Disney World and universal studios there. WDW is much larger and much better IMO.