Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   My First America Trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/my-first-america-trip-102891/)

Cozaar Jan 29th, 2001 07:43 PM

My First America Trip

Hi guyz,planning my first trip to the states in March/April. <BR>Still deciding whether to visit the west coast(LA,San Fran,Las Vegas,Disney)or east coast(NYC,Boston etc.) <BR>l'm travelling on a budget for approx. 2 weeks. <BR>l welcome any sincere/helpful info to help me decide between the 2 regions.Key features for my travelling delight <BR>are: <BR>1)American culture(like people watching,chitchat with locals) <BR>2)Exploring the streets/neighbourhood on foot and public transport. <BR>3)Shopping for books/CD/VCD/DVD/trinkets and also like flea markets/garage and warehouse sale. <BR>4)Visit national parks,maybe Yosemite NP? <BR>5)Any other stuff that l shouldn't misss in U.S. <BR> <BR>Thanx and have a nice day! <BR>

Owen O'Neill Jan 29th, 2001 07:53 PM

Of your key items, 1, 2 & 3 are most easily accomplished and at the lowest cost, staying in the northeastern US. The most spectacular national parks tend to be in the Southwest and West. Areas such as NYC and Boston (particularly NYC) lend themselves to walking, people watching etc.. Garage sales are a phenomenon that one tends to find in the suburbs ratehr then the city centers but there is a huge flea market in NYC every weekend during the summer season. I think it's in the Chelsea section but not certain if it will be open in March or April.

travelman Jan 29th, 2001 09:09 PM

To Cozaar.March and April might be great for a few days in Miami check the weather and head for NYC.You will do mast of your walking here ,if the weather is with you get to Boston for 2 days than back to NY.On the west coast it has been my experience that you need a car.In Las Vegas you dont need a car but dont waste too much time there.Head for San Diego take a deep breath and get to Mexico for a day.If you have time and money left than its San Francisco.I hope this helps .Iam getting writers cramp.Good Luck .T

Joan Jan 29th, 2001 09:17 PM

Hi Cozaar! <BR>You have a tough decision to make! If weather matters, March and April can still be pretty cold in Boston and New York whereas it's usually pretty nice in the Southwest. But if you want to be able to get around on public transportation you should stick to the east coast. I think you would definitely need a rental car on the west coast - everything is very spread out. Which comes to my next point - the coastline and national parks in California are beautiful!! California has so much to offer but might shoot your budget with a rental car. <BR> <BR>And you can people watch anywhere!! <BR> <BR>I think the only solution is to plan on two trips! Hit one coast this time around and tackle the other side on the next trip.

cc Jan 30th, 2001 04:25 AM

Spend all two weeks in San Francisco. Get into redwoods, other natural areas via tour group, otherwise putter around the city on foot. <BR> <BR>Spend all two weeks in Boston, but take a tour/sidetrip up to Acadia National Park to see Maine's dramatic rocky coast, Mt. Cadillac (not tall but wonderful view) -- will be cold and windy but dramatic. <BR> <BR>Spend all two week in Los Angeles, but figure on renting a car.

Joe Jan 30th, 2001 05:15 AM

I would think the east coast would be better for this trip. NYC, Boston, and Washington all have good public transit systems, and you can easily travel between the 3 cities by rail (or bus if your budget is really tight). <BR>I've never been to Niagra Falls, but it might fit your needs for visiting a national park. It's not too far from NYC. <BR>Where are you from?

Steve Jan 30th, 2001 05:37 AM

Either coast could work. I would use either New York City or San Francisco as a base. Know that neither coast offers everything you seek, but each offer most of what you are looking for. If you are more inclined toward nature I would choose the west, more inclined to city life I'd choose the east. <BR>

Ann Jan 30th, 2001 09:39 AM

Tough choice between San Fran and NYC--but I'd go with NYC if forced to make a decision. You can also get out into the mountains by heading for the Berkshires in western Massachusettes. Not the Rockies, but still pretty. <BR> <BR>Skip LA--not worth the trip.

b Jan 30th, 2001 09:53 AM

I don't know if you have some specific reason for excluding your visit to 1 of 2 coasts but I must point out that the US is quite a but MORE that NY or LA. Frankly if you're really intersted in meeting "typical" americans stay away from both!! I'd certainly not exclude myself to London if I wanted to see England.

Brooke Jan 30th, 2001 12:15 PM

I'll put in my two cents here. I'm not sure if you're interested in American History at all, but if you're the slight bit interested, the northeast would be ideal I would think. Between Boston, Washington DC and the rest of the northeast, could be cool to visit all of that. And also, just my humble opinion, when you're in NYC you really feel like you're right in the pulse of the world. NYC is always an experience. And plesae note, this is written by a southerner who appreciates all parts of America -- the south, north, west and east.

Laur Jan 30th, 2001 03:55 PM

If you were coming to the U.S. in April, then I would suggest the east coast based on #1,2 and 3. Otherwise, go for the west unless you like cold and damp weather. March is really the ugliest month in Boston. It's rainy, muddy, cold and there's no leaves on the trees.

Cozaar Feb 1st, 2001 11:10 PM

Hi guyz,thanx for your lovely reply! <BR>l'm more inclined to do the east coast <BR>after consideration but rather apprenhensive of the weather.What's the <BR>climate like from 15th march to early april,the temperature in Celsius,rain frequency etc.Probably info from a native New Yorker would be great.l was in London/Oxford/stratford last April and it didn't seem to stop raining with <BR>temp.hovering around 5 to 10 Celsius. <BR>l don't wish to relive the nightmare! <BR>Or maybe l should make my trip in early <BR>october to catch the autumn foliage in <BR>NYC,Boston,New England which has always been my dream. <BR>Please don't scream at me for being capricious:)

Owen O'Neill Feb 2nd, 2001 04:55 AM

Here in the Northeast, gray and/or rainy weather may occur in autumn or spring but October is likely to be more agreeable than March. March is sometimes cold and windy (30-40 degrees F in the daytime) but can be a bit nicer - on rare occasions we'll even get snow in March. April tends to be quite a bit warmer and often sunnier. October is usually very pleasant - 55-60 degree days and cool crisp evenings. Weather is always unpredictable but if forced to choose the best bet for good weather in NYC I'd go for October.

steve Feb 2nd, 2001 05:50 AM

the weather from mid march to april can range anywhere in between 0-24 celsius. i guess the average is around 10-12 during the day and 4-6 at night. but you might luck out into beautiful weather. the weather in the beginning of october is usually better, but end of march early april is also a good time to come to the east coast. the beginning of april is usually cherry blossom time in washington, which is probably the nicest time of year to visit dc. in short, the weather is a little unpredictable either time, so come and go with the flow. <BR>