Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

My Family DC Trip Itinerary - Leave on Sunday!

Old May 25th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last day of school today! We're heading to DC to tour our nations capital for the week ahead of a family wedding on Saturday 6/2. Hubby and I, three girls 11,8,5. We want to focus on our nation's history for this trip.

We've got what sounds like a great apt in Dupont Circle neighborhood through VRBO.

Sunday 5/27 arrive into BWI (wow the savings on the tickets!). Flight lands at noon. Cab it to our apt. Settle in, wander around the neighborhood. Dinner at Pizza place DH has been to during biz trips that he really wants to share. If feeling super adventurous then maybe think about concert on capitol steps! Or just a quick trip to see the Mall.

Monday 5/28 - Duck tour or Old Town Trolley Tour - get a lay of the land. Lunch on the go - TBD. 3pm Archives Appt. I want to SEE the Declaration of Independence. Back to appt for a little "turtle time" dinner in Dupont or at apt (whole foods). Reservations for Tours on Foot for 7pm at Mall (hhmmmmm 5 year old might make that tricky!)

Tuesday 5/29 - Up early for Capitol tour at 9:30am. Lunch at Le Bon Cafe or Firehook after tour (sit down for a minute). Stop in Botanic gardens on way to Air and Space. See Amelia Earhart's Plane, Wright Brother's plane. I'll take girls home to rest. and let DH wander around solo. Dinner in Dupont Circle (ethiopian?)

Wednesday 5/30 - American History Museum - we want to go deep on this one! Merzi for lunch (Described as Indian Chipotle) we want to check it out.... Back to appt for "turtle time". Out to Ebitt grill for dinner (wanted some old fashioned DC restaurant). Then either check out last hour at one of the museums we want to return to or more wandering mall at night.

Thursday 5/31 - Newseum - Lunch at Newseum. Maybe mom does Phillips collection in Dupont at night - dinner in Dupont - or Georgetown?

Friday 6/1 - More Newseum? Spy Museum? Rest ahead of wedding events starting Friday night

Saturday 6/2 - Wedding

Sunday 6/3 - Open

Depart 6/4

Still trying to figure how fit in spy museum. We are purposely skipping zoo, arlington, mt vernon. Thinking about Ford Theater though. Wondering if girls will like seeing Georgetown University or if it will be just too much....old stone house ( I think that's it). Also guess we might want to do WH visitor center

Would love a few reco's for restaurants in Dupont Area....

Still need to decide on that first full morning - DUCK tours or Hop on Off.

In general though I think a nice balance of rest and busy, focus on American History....

We are so excited!!
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to add that older girls really want to bike around (bike the mall?) we'll try to fit that in just using bike share.
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM

With ages of your children, I'd say the Duck Tour. My daughter, nephew and niece loved it. VERY wise of you to plan downtime! A lot of the history will be lost on the 5 year old, and the 8 year old might not be terribly appreciative, either.
Old May 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Are you planning to take a cab from BWI to DC? I can't imagine how much that would cost. Check the bus/Metro schedule at www.wmata.com instead.

We really liked Merzi, and there's a Pitango Gelato store right next door.

There were some young kids on our DC by Foot walking tour. Can you borrow an umbrella stroller to bring along, just in case the 5yo gets really tired? If not, it's easy enough to let the tour guide know you're dropping out.

Have a great trip!

Lee Ann
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Pizza Paradiso in DuPont has great pizza and sandwiches. Dolce Zia has fabulous Argentine gelato. It's on Conn. Ave. Kramers is a nice place for coffe, drinks and such. food is just so so, but it's a comfortable place for a break. firehook Bakery has really good bakery stuff and sandwiches and salads. On Sunday 9-1 or so there is a great farmer's market in Dupont Circle.

not really any Ethiopian in Dupunt area. etete on U St. Is very good.

I'd say scrap seeing GU. You're doing alot esp. for the five yr old.

It's gotten suddenly hot and humid here. temps predicted for close to 90 on Sunday and Monday. Have a great visit.
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:18 PM

dolcezza for gelato, not dolce zia. Sorry
Old May 26th, 2012, 01:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
You may want to rethink the Newseum for the 5 and 8 year old. It's a fee-museum that requires lots and lots of reading, and may just not appeal to the younger children. Same with Spy Museum; the younger children won't understand most of it. I would skip Georgetown, as well. Any particular reason you're passing on the Natural History Museum?

Not sure why you're passing on the Zoo, but a day of roaming the park (maybe even biking up to it along Rock Creek Park) would be fun for everyone.

As someone mentioned, weather through Monday or Tuesday is forecast to be warm and humid, but the latter part of the week looks cooler with a chance for showers on Friday.
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

We've been to great zoos and natural history museums and think lots of other cities offer such things (NY, Chicago, San Diego, SF) But sticking with the unique to DC sites.

The 11 year old REALLY wants the Newseum - but given the fees we might divide and conquer with the youngers doing something a little less intense.

We probably need to have a few good playground afternoons too.

I've decided I probably do need a light umbrella stroller. These kids have travelled a ton but it's been a long time since we were exploring a city in this way.

One rule of nation is ice cream every day - so this tips are especially helpful.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Our daughter was 11 when we visited DC. The things she found most fascinating in order:

Archives - who would have thought? That night in our hotel, the movie National Treasure was playing, so it tied together well in a fun way..

Arlington - Kennedy gravesite and fascinated with the changing off the guard.

Capitol Tour

Mall Monuments/ Memorials - except for me dragging her around, tired of all the long walks in the COLD, we were there in March.

Mount Vernon- this would be even more beautiful this time of year.

Natural History Museum - loved seeing the Gems and Minerals section, Hope Diamond, Giant Squid, Mammals

Ford's Theater

American History Museum - daughter is a girly girl so loved the first lady dresses, seeing the ruby slippers, and Sienfield's puffy shirt.

Air and Space - mostly liked the movie. Thought the airplanes, space capsules were pretty boring, more for boys. I was surprised how much I really loved it. Seeing the Gemini and Apollo capsules brought back such great memories of watching all of it on black and white TV as a kid. Wish DH and I had more time for the WWII airplanes.

We skipped the zoo too, since we had just been to San Diego the year before. Too many things to see, so youhave to pick and choose. Will your youngest ride in a stroller, since she is "a big girl too"?

Have a nice trip and report back.
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still think you need to re-evaluate that cab from BWI all the way to DC..it's gonna wipe out some of those airline savings for sure.
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Fare will likely be $75 or so + tip. There are fare estimators online. However, with 3 kids and luggage, well worth it. U could also check out the cost for Super Shuttle probably a bit less.

Agree with the poster about the Spy Museum -- lots of reading and might be boring for the younger kids. Newseum has lots of reading too.
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Don't forget to have lunch in the Sculpture Garden on the Mall. The salads are wonderful and the scenery is to die for.
I was not a fan of the Spy Museum. It was not nearly as exciting as I had hoped for.

I love Mt. Vernon, the boat ride is heavenly. I also love Arlington, such beautiful gardens, I go every chance I get.

Maybe rent kayaks in Georgetown. I see people do that all the time and they seem to love it. There is a place right next to the mall/harbor in Georgetown that will rent them. Shopping in Georgetown is fun too but Georgetown Cupcakes is kind of a waste of time. Their normal wait during a weekend is 45 minutes outside in the blistering heat.

I would do a harbor cruise also. We go at least once a year and love it.

Ford Theatre is good but get your tickets in advance. They sell out all the time.

The Natural History Museum is always a winner. Also checkout the Castle and Sackler Museum.

I also love the Museum of Art on the Mall. It is my 2nd favorite place.

Have fun!
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

I love the outdoor ideas. I like that my plan has some open spots Thursday and Friday and Sunday that we can fill in some of these things. We went for the whole wee wanting to have this flexibility and I am so excited.

The savings from BWI was $600+++
Super Shuttle x 5 gets pretty close to the $70 and the public transport options involved 2 stops...airport to train, train to DC, subway or taxi to appt....
Sounds like the Sunday is making some of our options not available. (MARC?)
With 5 of us and lots of luggage (Indian Wedding!) at $70 the tax will be fine. I figured we'd spend at least $30 for the closer airport - so it's only a $40 investment to save $600.
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM

THe taxi will likely be closer to $100, with tip. But I'd pay twice that to avoid schlepping a family of five on mass transit with all that luggage or even on Super SHuttle, which could make a number of stops before your location.
Old May 27th, 2012, 12:02 AM

American Indian Museum? (not sure of proper name)
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

We did pop in to the American Indian Museum when our Duck Tour Guide suggested that even the building is worth a look..and it was. The Taxi was $100 incl tip... but I don't see another reasonable way. Even with taxi back we're $400 ahead.

The kids aren't quite as tough as I thought they might be. Luckily we're in VRBO apt and so it's pleasant enough to head back to. I am sipping wine right now, waiting for Thai Take out to be delivered and kids are drawing pictures in one room, another reading in the bedroom. It's fantastic not to have to eat all meals out.

Our Capitol tour today was great. My husband has had all afternoon alone at Air and Space...we were just too tuckered after about 1 hour. We're off to American History tomorrow.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:20 PM

Glad to catch this part of your report Sfmaster. I had already read your comments about the bikes.