My email to the Fodors editors

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I realize you need to make money and advertising is the way to do it. I've gotten used to the ads all over the website (talk forums) taking up space, and I understand the need for it. I don't complain about that. I have a very good pop-up stopper and it has successfully removed nearly all the annoying popup ads for sometime. When it doesn't, at least I can simply click on them as they pop up quickly and then they are gone.

But what is this new engineering that has created that horribly annoying new Delta pop up? I guess pop up isn't really the right word. What happens is, every time I click "post a reply" I quickly get the box to type in, but when I start to type nothing happens. I must wait while that Delta ad slowly comes up -- but has already blocked my ability to type anything even before it appears. Then when it is fully up, I can click to get rid of it -- but still that is not instant. It is a rather slow fade before I can start typing my post. I'm not talking minutes here, but rather seconds -- but it is annoying beyond compare. Is that the intention? Let's see how annoying we can make the Delta ad so that people are forced to watch it while they see it slowly fade in and then fade out? If so, you are succeeding.

I also have no idea how you have managed to over ride what until now has been a totally successful popup stopper, but surely that is your intention. I post a lot on the forums as any regulars can attest. Now it has forced me to thing twice about making any comment, because it is a sort of "ordeal" to do so. Perhaps that is also your intention -- to make it harder for people to post responses?

Patrick
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:21 AM

DITTO!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM

I understand your frustration. I have never had a pop-up on this site or any other site. I also do not have any pop-up stopper software installed. I think it may have more to do with your IP or something.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Get a Mac.
Never seen any of this stuff of which you speak, not in Safari, IE or Firefox.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:41 AM
OO

I have yet to see that Delta ad Patrick. I wonder what the diference is between my OS and yours? I have yet to install my new Norton Internet Security either...which was where my pop-up stopper resided. Windows XP, but a new machine, perhaps added enhancements that you don't have?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Yeah, what Delta popup?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Another note. I use Windows 98 and its upgrades because I find it easier and faster to use. Maybe thats why I don't get the pop-ups.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I have a pop-up blocker and have never seen the Delta pop-up, but I have seen other people complaining about it.

I agree that if it's interferring with the ease of use of the site, that sort of goes against the purpose.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Yeah, what Delta popup? I see a Continental Airlines add or other add (not a pop up) to the right side of the screen, but it, in no way, interferes with my screen.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM

I too have Budman's Continental ad, but no DAL interference. XP,ZA, Norton A/V and earthlink.
M
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM

no pop-ups here either
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a test, I am posting a response. I am using Win98SE with IE with a lot of security (antivirus, 2 anti spywares) buy no popup blocker.

I did not get a popup.

I think it is because I have set IE to block Active X. I will now post this and turn off active X blocking and try again.

AJ
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I am posting now with Active X allowed. I got no popup, but the advertising for American Express at the top of the page is animated.

Perhaps the pernicious popup requires a more up-to-date computer. I will cancel my next trip and use the money to buy one!
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:15 AM
iceeu2

I get the Delta ad, but it does not interfere with anything I do. I simply type or click on something else and it goes away.

It doesn't bother me and is not one of those annoying ones that keep on and on and on.

Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:28 AM

It might have something to do with your ISP. I have only a small strip across the top for Delta, and a small one to the right. Neither move. They just sit there and I ignore them. No pop-ups. I think that some ISP companies make most of their money by allowing all sorts of annoying junky ads. I really don't think it's Fodors.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM

I thought ISP's acted more like common carriers than as ad agencies. You may have picked up an adware or spyware download that surreptitiously places ads on a webpage without the intent or knowledge of the website you want to see. These programs are scum that sometimes stick onto the bottom of your virtual feet as you travel the web.

Discover and delete them!

Check out SpySweeper or Spybot Search and Destroy. They do a decent job. Spybot is free.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I don't have any pop ups. I'm sure that most anyone having this problem is still using IE. Microsoft hasn't updated IE's features in years. They're too busy solving all of its the security glitches. Definitely switch to Firefox. Its far superior, free and only takes a couple of minutes to install. Also, to protect your computer have good, up to date anti-virus software and install Zone Alarm Pro, the best firewall/pop up blocker on the market. No, I don't work for any of these companies, but I do work with computers.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Kal

I know jack cheese about computers but whatever I'm doing, it must be OK because I don't get the "Patrick's Delta Blues".
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Nope, it's not IE -- I don't get the popups when I test with IE 5.2 (but for Mac).
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Patrick, one needs little more than to bring your Salomon Smith Barney card when you travel to Fry's Electronics and acquire a set of disk remedy tools before your hard drive is reduced to the subatomic subterfuge propagated by preposterous adware assaults. Mon dieu!

http://tinyurl.com/9gy4s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -