Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Must sees in SD for adutls in 40s and four upper teens? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/must-sees-in-sd-for-adutls-in-40s-and-four-upper-teens-720449/)

kendu Jul 13th, 2007 05:22 AM

Must sees in SD for adutls in 40s and four upper teens?

This December two adults and four upper teens, we are going for 3 nights to SD? Where could we go to shop, sightsee, what other must sees?
Thanks
Ken

ltt Jul 13th, 2007 07:16 AM

do a search - things to do in san diego is listed often.
and your question is too vague without more details - shop - cloths, tourist trinkets??? - sightsee - beautiful homes, beaches, amusement parks??? other must sees - as mentioned do a search and come back with more specific questions.

traveler2005 Jul 13th, 2007 07:25 AM

I assumed that SD was South Dakota. Possibly San Diego makes more sense. Which is it, Ken?

Debbie

Anonymous Jul 13th, 2007 07:34 AM

In one of his other posts about "SD," kendu has clarified that it's San Diego.

kimamom Jul 13th, 2007 08:01 AM

Don't miss SeaWorld, a tour of the Hotel Del Coronado and the La Jolla Cove area. There are some nice shops on Prospect St. in La Jolla. Have fun! ***kim*** ((f))

paula1470 Jul 13th, 2007 08:03 AM

Yes it helps to know what your interests are. In December the weather in San Diego can vary. It could be very warm and dry or it could be cold and rainy. (Yes it does rain in San Diego although we can't really remember it!!).

Of course cold is relative depending on where you are from. But it definitely isn't usually warm enough to lay out at the beach. As itt said, searching this forum will give you more things than you could do in 3 days. But in case it is colder, there are some nice museums in Balboa Park that could visit.

A short list of things to do-The Zoo, Coronado, La Jolla, Balboa Park.

kendu Jul 13th, 2007 07:12 PM

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming. I thought by putting it in the California forum I had been clear but maybe I didn't, I don't know. Well, San Diego it is. Would Sea World work for middle to upper teens? WHat is the best middle or upscale shopping? Beach with nice boardwalk?
Thanks
Ken

Barbara Jul 13th, 2007 08:36 PM

The only beach that really has a boardwalk is Mission Beach, however it's very pleasant to stroll along the cliffs at La Jolla.

Sea World is great for kids that age.

Fashion Valley mall has good shops, restaurants and movie theaters and will be VERY crowded in December. Take the Trolley as parking will be hard to find.

http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=765

La Jolla has lots of good shops and it's even harder to park. Have lunch at George's and valet park there.

You will probably all find the Midway aircraft carrier museum on the Embarcadero interesting.

www.midway.org

diann24 Jul 14th, 2007 07:37 AM

You can also go to the Cabrillo monument, the lighthouse in pt Loma. I would assume it is still open. It is a grogeous ride and the view is totally amazing. (on a clear day.) You will drive through ft. Rosecrans a military graveyard. There is also Seaport Village close to downtown. It is touristy but there are nice shops, then there is Old Town. Shopping as said there are many malls. Fashion Valley and the Gallery downtown assuming it is still there. Sea World is great for teens I would think it depends on there interests. Half day at the zoo is plenty for me. Take a bus when you get there, and go early. There is a tour which lasts about 45 minutes. Balboa Park is great, for walking around and there are museums there which teens might like. The beach in Dec. could be ify but there is a cement walk along mission bay. They rent bikes there as well. It could be a fun day.

LynnieD Jul 17th, 2007 12:29 PM

Learn to surf.

kendu Jul 19th, 2007 04:28 PM

Thanks so much everyone for these great suggestions
Ken

TahitiTams Jul 19th, 2007 04:49 PM

Whale watching will be in full swing off the coast..
Head to Mission/Pacific Beach and go to Belmont Park and ride the wooden roller coaster and maybe rent bikes along the beach & bay boardwalk.
Hotel Del Coronado for the gorgeous holiday decorations.
Have fish tacos at Rubio's.
See the seals at Children's Pool in La Jolla and then have lunch at George's at the cove...eat on the terrace.
Hike Torrey Pines State reserve.

sdhe.com
belmontpark.com
torreypine.org

itsv Jul 19th, 2007 09:41 PM

I've got a teenager so what kind of things do yours like to do? For an interesting dining experience, go to the Marine Room. The restaurant is in La Jolla right in the water. The waves crash against the windows. You could do a photo caravan at the Wild Animal Park which might interest them.
Take them to the Gas Lamp section of town-lots of restaurants and interesting shops. Rent Bikes to cruise around the beaches. I don't know if kayaking is an option at that time of year, but you could sign up for a kayak tour. If they like skateboarding, they could do our skateparks and have a chance to see a pro.

More info as to what they like to do would be helpful.

J_Correa Jul 20th, 2007 10:15 AM

Just a note on postings - there aren't any state-specific boards on Fodors, all the posts just go into a general US board. When you pick a state when you write your post, all it does is tag it so that later if someone searches on posts pertaining to a specific state, it will come up in the search.

kendu Jul 22nd, 2007 04:59 AM

So, J. Correa, you are saying it really doesn't matter what state I put? Should I even bother?
Thanks
Ken

TrvlMaven Jul 22nd, 2007 07:05 AM

In Mission Beach, across from the roller coaster, is a beachy restaurant that has two wave pools (in front of the old plunge). The tables are in the sand with palapas, just like Mexico. Would be fun if the weather is nice.