Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Must See Sights in Chicago? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/must-see-sights-in-chicago-249633/)

Dan Aug 14th, 2002 01:34 PM

Must See Sights in Chicago?

We have a 9 year old grandson who has done and seen so much already we are looking for things to do or see that would interest him. He's very action oriented but curious about what makes things work. Please advise

sher Aug 14th, 2002 02:00 PM

Try taking him to the Adler Planetarium.<BR>I took my 9 & 12 year old grandsons there a few weeks ago and they loved it.<BR>It's got a ton of hands-on-exhibits and some cool shows. We took a water taxi from there over to Navy Pier and rented bikes and biked along Lake Michigan. Fun times!

patg Aug 14th, 2002 04:19 PM

I'd recommend the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde Park, a fifteen minute drive south of downtown. The airplane exhibit was one of my kids' favorites at that age. They have a web page if you would like a preview.

Amy Aug 14th, 2002 10:48 PM

Check out the Children's Museum on the second floor of Navy Pier. Free on Thursday nights. They have loads of very unique, interactive exhibits that he will like.

havkhones Aug 15th, 2002 03:57 AM

The Shedd(sp) Aquarium. Its along the lakeshore south/east of Navy pier and right near the Museum of Science and Industry.<BR><BR>I havent been in the Museum of Science and Industry in quite a few years, but my brother who has brought his kids there quite a few times calls it the Museum of Broken Things. It seems a lot of the interactive displays were broken during his last couple of visits.<BR><BR>There is also a mall in an old warehouse just up the street on the street that deadends into navy pier that has some real cool 3d and video/interactive games. If i remember right there is a Police precinct right across the street from it.

phil Aug 15th, 2002 05:52 AM

Oprah. She,once again, has turned into a HUGE sight.

xxxxx Aug 15th, 2002 05:53 AM

The Aquarium is not near the Museum of Science & Industry. The aquarium is near the Field Museum & the Planetarium. The Field Museum is the natural science museum. The skeletal remains of SUE, the T-Rex, is there. Their Egyptian display is setup so that you almost appear to be walking thru a tomb.

doc Aug 15th, 2002 05:57 AM

If I was nine, I would want to go to a cubs or sox game

jpm Aug 15th, 2002 06:06 AM

Just discovered there is a free Trolley that goes to most of the major sites in Chicago. Here is the link for info:<BR><BR>http://www.cityofchicago.org/transportation/trolleys/

Mel Aug 16th, 2002 05:32 AM

The warehouse that one of the previous posters is talking about is no longer there. It's called North Pier but has now turned into condos.

helen Aug 16th, 2002 09:46 AM

The lakefront is the crown jewel in Chicago and all ages enjoy the parks and greenbelts along the shore. Spend some time driving Lakeshore Drive or biking the riding paths and make some stops along the way to admire the skyline of the city and the views of the lake.<BR><BR>Our kids have enjoyed both the Field Museum of Natural History and the Museum of Science and Industry. The Adler Planetarium is good. Our kids enjoyed the planterium more than the aquarium because they have already been to a lot of aquariums.<BR><BR>Chicago has fascinating style in their buildings and some tours cater to who built them and how they were built. I think you can get a double-decker bus tour from the Wacker/Michigan intersection. River boat tours depart from several locations. There are also some boats that depart from near Shedd Aquarium and go along the lakefront.<BR><BR><BR>I don't know if the observation decks at the Sears Tower and John Hancock Tower are still open. I assume they are. Give you a good perspective of the whole city and the lake.<BR><BR>

xxx Aug 19th, 2002 05:17 AM

How about a boat ride on Lake Michigan? There's a tall ship, Windy, that sails and isn't too expensive, a motorboat, Seadog, that's not too expensive and Ugly Duck which includes food.<BR><BR>The Peggy Notebaert Nature museum has a wonderful butterfly garden and also exhibits on how the body works and lots of other stuff. It's up by the Lincoln Park Zoo and could be easily combined with a visit there.